Unlimited access >

Best professional quality body clippers?

First of all, I would like to apologize for starting another clipper thread, but I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for.

This is my first year clipping horses other than my own. I have done around 15 clips so far this fall, with three more this week. I really enjoy clipping (as long as the horse isn’t trying to kill me), and think it is time to upgrade to a better body clipper. I would like break into the “professional” market in the future.

I am currently using three sets of clippers
Wahl Arco - for ears, face and sensitive spots
Andis AGC - for head, legs, and awkward spots
Oster Clipmasters - body clipping powerhouse

This set up was more than enough for my own well behaved horses. However, I find that most horses can’t handle the noise and vibration of the clipmasters without sedation. I end up having to use the Andis AGC for majority of the job. Although I love small and quiet, they are not powerful enough to handle multiple full body clips.

I am looking for suggestions for reliable, quality, horse friendly body clippers. I am leaning towards the lister stars or legends, but would like some other opinions before I make my decision. Double k? Laube? Andis progress?

Thank you all for your opinions :slight_smile:

Since you already have a range of clippers, have you looked at the Wahl KM10? They are SUPER quiet and low vibration, but still powerful enough to glide through the hair. I bought them because I have a “special” horse that had never been body clipped but hated clippers. After reading a bunch of reviews, the KM10s were the ones that everyone said were the quietest they’ve ever heard and I was amazed at the low hum they make compared to the hedge trimmer sound some of the others have. It sounds like they would fit the bill for the nervous nellies you come across.

I don’t have experience with the others, but I LOVE my Andis progress clippers. I bought them when I was a BM/groom doing lots of clips and the difference between them and the Oster clipmasters is incredible. They are much quieter, seem to be hardier (I’ve had lots of issues with clipmasters and knock wood my Andis are great), and they don’t get too hot, which is a huge convenience. They also weigh less than the Osters which is great if you’re doing multiple clips back to back. Love mine and will never go back.

Thank you both :slight_smile: the wahl km10 looks comparable to the andis clippers I already have. Ideally I’d like something with a wide blade to speed up the process.
Nice to hear good things about the progress clippers, I’ll have to do a bit more research on them. They seem to have good reviews but arn’t as common as some of the others

The Andis Progress clippers are wonderful, and a lot lighter than their comparable Oster model, but truly, your AGC’s can do the body clipping! I recently upgraded mine to the 5-speed model, but before that, did all my body clipping (about 50 or more a year) with the AGC’s and wide T-84 blades. The faster clippers are really wonderful, but your AGC’s should do the trick!

If they are having trouble keeping up, be sure that you’ve changed out the blade drive for a new one. :slight_smile: Really easy to do, and makes a huge difference if you haven’t done it yet!

I did use the Progress clippers for a year or so, but found that I really didn’t need them once I picked up enough of the T-84 blades for the smaller clippers. When I am doing a lot of horses in one day, my elbow and shoulder sure appreciates being able to just use the smaller clippers!

For those of you using the KM10, which wide blades do you use for body clipping? I have the Lister Stars (a HUGE relief over the Clipmasters OMG) but they have a lot of vibration and my new horse is nervous around clippers. Thought I’d try the KM10s.

tiffani, how do you like the fine blades on the listers? how is blade availability? the andis progress clippers take the clipmaster blades which makes them tempting to me. I haven’t found the lister blades for much under $50, and the medium blades seem to be difficult to find.

I bought two mediums when I bought the clippers last year. Never actually used the fine ones that came with it. I think I got them at Valley Vet.

I’ve done about a dozen clips a year with my Double Ks for 11 years now.

[QUOTE=Tiffani B;8416587]
For those of you using the KM10, which blades do you use for body clipping? I have the Lister Stars (a HUGE relief over the Clipmasters OMG) but they have a lot of vibration and my new horse is nervous around clippers. Thought I’d try the KM10s.[/QUOTE]

I use the standard #10 that comes with them. I really like the length. It gives them a smooth, velvety finish but doesn’t leave them completely bald.

[QUOTE=Minerva;8417255]
I use the standard #10 that comes with them. I really like the length. It gives them a smooth, velvety finish but doesn’t leave them completely bald.[/QUOTE]

I guess I should have been more specific - which “wide” blades do you use for body clipping? I always use a #10 length, but I see several brands of the wider blades that fit these clippers. The T-84, there is a #10W - just wondering what is best for body clipping.

The T-84 clips just a tiny smidgen longer than the #10’s that you would use on a head or other tricky spots. That being said, I have never, ever been able to tell where I switched from regular #10’s to a wide T-84. You would be fine to use either a wide #10 or a T-84 to do the body, and not have any issues blending into where you might use a regular width #10. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Small Change;8417549]
The T-84 clips just a tiny smidgen longer than the #10’s that you would use on a head or other tricky spots. That being said, I have never, ever been able to tell where I switched from regular #10’s to a wide T-84. You would be fine to use either a wide #10 or a T-84 to do the body, and not have any issues blending into where you might use a regular width #10. :)[/QUOTE]

I do notice a slight difference between the 10s and the t-84s. The t-84s match up to my clipmasters pefectly. The difference between the 10s and the t-84s is easily blendable. I only really notice the difference when clipping a chestnut, and it looks perfect after a few days anyways.

Took me nearly two hours to trace clip an 18 hh warmblood today with the little andis clippers. Lol there has to be a better option

[QUOTE=pacific_jumper;8419013]
Took me nearly two hours to trace clip an 18 hh warmblood today with the little andis clippers. Lol there has to be a better option[/QUOTE]

I bought the Andis as well because everybody recommended them… I am very disappointed… They are light and quiet and easy to handle… but when I tried to clip my pony they were not able to handle it… They got stuck in the coat… I finally figured out how to clip in a way to get it done. But its about one hour for one side of the pony :frowning: :frowning: I was desperate !! these Andis clippers might be good for head and legs but not for a body…
Finally a friend of mine rescued me. She sold me her premier 1 clippers http://www.premier1supplies.com/c/clippers_and_shears/clippers_and_shears_-_large/… And they are amazing. I personally will not use any other clippers in the future again!!! It took me 10 min to do the other side of the pony!! I do admit they are a lot noisier but really I dont care they are efficient and fast

Honestly, check the blade drive in the Andis clippers that aren’t keeping up! Or at least stay away from my Andis clippers, as they’re working beautifully for me. :wink: Just finished four clips yesterday - three trace and one full, all on big horses, in about 3 1/2 hours. No complaints here!

I would just charge more for a horse that is ill mannered to cover your time spent in dealing with its rudeness…and that is what it is.

I trained my horse in one session to deal with clipper noise.

I use the Oster Clipmaster.

Unless you’re just hankering for a new clipper, the cost of a new clipper is not insubstantial.

Thanks. Yes I will make sure to do this Small change!

T-84 blade leaves 3/32" or 2.4 mm; 10 blade leaves 1/16" or 1.5 mm. Premier medium blade (what I use on my Lister Star clippers) leaves 2.0 mm. Lister Fine blade leaves 1.4 mm. This info is from the Clipper Outlet website (where I buy my blades and have them sharpened).

I bodyclip with the older model of the ones you have, the AG Super 2 Speed. I have the newer model (yours) as a back up pair, but find the older pair seems to have a little more oomph. You can sometimes find the older pairs - just google them =]

That said, two points on the Andis:

1. You will need to replace the blade drive. I typically find this needs to be done on average every 6 clips. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the cleanliness and hair type of the horses I have been clipping.
  2. Andis has variable quality control on releasing new blades from their warehouse. You will note that on the back package, they even say “If this does not meet your expectations, return it to us to sharpen”. My clipper service guy pointed this out to me. I now take new blades straight to him for sharpening. (Smart guy!)

I’ve clipped over 100 horses this past year, 90 the year before, with essentially the clippers you have. I wouldn’t trade them in for anything else!

http://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12246798_880216811489_656118170018771960_n.jpg?oh=a0758eae6bc83ec99ddbda8c3fcbf767&oe=56D89D09