Unlimited access >

Best Sliding Doors for Run Outs

Once the COVID stuff settles down we will be updating our barn exterior. It’s a 10 stall barn with a run-out on each stall. Currently I’ve got warped, chewed Dutch doors but I’d like to change to full sliders, no windows. I’ll put a swinging half gate on the inside so the horses can have air and a view most of the time and just close the sliders for storms.
I’m in Florida so warping and rotting are big issues with our intensely wet and humid summers.
Any recommendations?

You may consider that you will then have warped and rotting/rusting sliding, not swinging doors.
Sliding doors are even harder to keep working where conditions are harsh on outside doors for stalls.
A local barn had sliding doors for years, finally gave up and now has dutch doors.
Not sure they are any happier, those outside doors just are more exposed and apt to deteriorate, no matter which kind.

Does aluminum also deteriorates there?
If not, consider using that for material?

I would considering going with whatever is easier to replace now and later if some start failing, since that seems it will be a regular problem for you?

1 Like

My interior sliders are 12 yrs old and doing great. It’s a Florida barn so it’s…barely a barn. When it rains hard the end stall doors get soaked and they’re straight and roll easily. I have no idea where they came from though as I didn’t build the barn.