Best topical pain relieving strategy for muscle pain.

And if it is economical that is a plus.

I can’t remember the name of them, but they are topical pain patches that you can buy over the counter. I’ve used them in the past for fibrmyalgia/rheumatoid arthritis flares, and they work pretty well. They can be found at pretty much any store.

Ditto on the licocaine patches for quick relief (Salonpas, Doans), but for longer term healing of muscle strain and pain, Arnica is a great help. There’s also something called Traumeel which has Arnica and other ingredients that my doctor swears by. Feel better!

I mainly use Asper-creme.

Arnica and Traumheel are also good, but be sure not to put them on an open cut.

Arnica gel is great for muscle pain, sprains, bruises. Do not use on an open wound/cut. For best results, apply immediately then 3 to 4 times a day. You can find Arnicare gel (by Boiron) for about $6 at Target.

In a pinch you can also use your horse’s Sore No More :slight_smile:

For back muscle relief I also use a heat pad filled with lavender & rice that I can heat up in the microwave. Heaven on sore muscles.

3 Likes

I’m doing better now but my upper back had been sore on either side of my spinal cord. I little harder to get to then lower back. I am also so fortunate as to have a massage pad that really helps when my back is sore!

I highly recommend Bengay Extra Strength applied to your back with a spatula. I have a huge collection of topical analgesics. I’ve tried them all! I saw a 2-pack of Bengay at Costco and almost passed on it because I figured why waste more money on products that don’t help much. Bengay is now in my top three and my go-to when I have back muscles flare up because the effects of Bengay last a long time for me.

My reviews of other products:
Bengay Extra Strength - In my Top 3.
Icy Hot Spray - In my Top 3 because it works well, lasts a long time and it’s easy to apply.
Salonpas patches - Works well, but at the time I had major muscle spasms. I had so many spasmed spots, I used 12 patches in one sitting.

Arnica gel or cream - No pain relief for me. Does seem to reduce swelling on lumps and bumps, but not on my swollen spasmed muscles.
Traumeel Creme - Gave me no pain relief
Salonpas Jet Spray - Doesn’t last very long. Icy Hot Spray is much more potent and lasts much longer.
Pomada Dragon Cream - Works.
Diclofenac - (prescription). Doesn’t do much of anything for me. I’m supposed to use it on arthritic fingers, but even in that location the results are nothing special.
ThermaChill Roll On - Works. Roll on easy to apply and good for your purse or gym bag.
CryoDerm Spray - Works, but the spray is not so easy to apply on your back and runs off of where you need it.
Penetrex Creme - Didn’t do a thing for me. At $18 a pop for a smallish jar and fact that you’re supposed to apply 3-4 times a day, thumbs down.
Lidocaine Patch - (prescription). Works ok.

If you are wondering about other products, I’ve probably tried it or still have it in my arsenal.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of your favorite topical (Ben Gay, Icy Hot, etc.) and moist heat. For moist heat, I wet a washcloth or hand towel, squeeze out the excess water, and microwave for a minute or two. I then (carefully) wrap the hot cloth in another dry cloth to prevent burning the skin and apply to the affected area.

1 Like

Cetyl-m for horses did amazing when I pulled a muscle in my back. I tried heat, stretching, & sore no more but none of it worked. They have a human version but reviews on Amazon had people saying they used the horse version and love it.

I had a few other boarders try it for various pain and they all loved it as well.

I really like biofreeze, it is basically menthol, so works like cold therapy, and comes as a cream or a spray. I have had upper back issues in the past, and the spray makes it easy to get it on your back and shoulders, though I have never really tried to get it localized to just one area. I am also a big fan of just strapping ice packs to my back.
DIY heat packs are easy to make by filling a couple of soccer socks or other long socks with rice or pretty much any dry grain and closing with a knot, zip tie or twist tie (put one sock inside the other so they are double-thick to minimize rice loss).

1 Like

I like BioFreeze, too. TopCare’s “Therapeutic Ice Gel” works almost as well and is less $. And my arthritic hands always feel great after I use Absorbine on the ponies.

1 Like

Neosporin is good.

For minor wound care, yes. Muscle pain, not in the slightest.

4 Likes

I use lidocaine, either patch or roller applicator and Voltaren topical gel.

Diclofenac gel (prescription in the US, OTC in pretty much any civilized country under the brand name Voltaran) is my go-to. It’s what’s in Surpass, so may be possible to get from your vet if you don’t have friends who travel.

1 Like

I impulse-bought an IcyHot Smart Relief TENS unit last night at Walmart. It is regularly $28.88, and mine also had a $3 off coupon on the package. I had been wanting to try a TENS unit, but didn’t want to pay the price they ask for most of them.

It definitely works on my back pain. I used it both last night and this morning. This morning was the real test: lately my AM walk has been leaving my back in excruciating pain for the rest of the day. After a 30 minute session with the TENS unit, I regained most of my range of motion in my back and was much more comfortable! It sticks right on you with an adhesive pad, so you can wear it while being up and about.

Other things that help me:
-ThermaCare Heat Wraps and Patches (or the generic brands)… I live by these at the moment.
-Capsaicin Patches… if nothing else, you can FEEL them.
-Lidocaine rubs and patches sometimes help, but other times do nothing for me.

I’m the owner of The Infused Equestrian and we have a special roller blend called Recovery Blend. It’s got essential oils that will support and maintain healthy tissue healing. Check us out! www.theinfusedequestrian.com

I’ve been experiencing back pain for years. I’ve tried many prescription drugs that did not work. Absorbine Jr is the only pain reliever that works well for me. I’m able to sleep on my back with no issue.

I tried CetylM for horses and felt great when I pulled a muscle. Felt better within 10 minutes.

These are more powerful than any of the above that I have also tried: [INDENT]https://www.amazon.com/PIECES-VORWERK-CHILLI-CAPSICUM-PLASTER/dp/B003GQRRHE[/INDENT] You gotta be really careful though, i.e. taking a bath or shower when wearing one can be very painful. They can last for a few days. I’ve used them for 20 years on arms and back, various horse/industrial/car accidents, along with my TENS unit. Using them again pre-surgery.