Unlimited access >

Best Vacuum for getting dog hair off the carpet?

Over the past 10 years I’ve had the Dyson animal and now we have the Dyson ball animal. No problems with either of these two vacuums, love them to death.

We have 3 long-coated collies, one of which is a female. Like all female collies, she sheds her coat almost every other month. The Dyson is a life saver.

Eileen

Today Home.Woot has a refurbed Dyson canister. I can’t speak to how well the Dyson canisters work, but I prefer a canister to an upright.

StG

I am a Simplicity vacuum fan. Works great with the two corgis, picked up all of the kitty litter. and the HEPA bag and filter are a lifesaver for me!

We had the same rainbow for about 25 years. Just upgraded to a new one about 5-6 years ago when my Dad came home after having a bone marrow transplant. We love them and they last forever. Great also for deodorizing your home.

[QUOTE=rubygirl1968;6102793]
I must be one of the unlucky ones with Dyson. My Kenmore upright gets up more hair and dirt than the Dyson. I have five cats that like to dig to China when they’re in the litter box, so vacuums get a lot of use here! lol[/QUOTE]

Put me in this category…mine blew up in about two years…not impressed.

I have dark green carpet all through my home and 2 yellow labs and a cat. The hair is horrible. I purchased a Bissel pet hair eraser hoping it would help but no such luck. It is heavy, the hanger for the cord falls off during use and the dust cup needs to be emptied 3 times just to do my living room! The filter colggs after every 3 used and has to be washed. Are there any great vacs that dont use dust cups?

[QUOTE=dalpal;6105354]
Put me in this category…mine blew up in about two years…not impressed.[/QUOTE]

I see lots of used and refurbed Dyson’s at my local vacuum shop. I don’t think you are the exception.

I wanted a Dyson so bad, but then we went to hardwood! My central vac works well on the hard surfaces and for the one area rug in the living room, my little Dirt Devil ($50 on sale) has done the magic trick! I have a big yellow lab who tries to change the dark red rug to match his coat!! But the little devil comes to the rescue every day without effort! Love it!

I have a Hoover Wind Tunnel Max bagless. LOVE this vacuum. 4 dogs (sheltie, anatolian shepard cross, golden/chowx and toy fox terrier), 1 white cat, a bird and red clay. Dark green area rug (12x8) over beige carpet in the living room.

Dyson, most definitely.

Love the Dyson! It’s expensive but has a great guarantee and you should never have to purchase another vaccuum, plus there’s no need to buy bags.

I have a Bissell for pet hair and I HATEHATEHATE it. Godawfulstoopitrotten invention. It is loud and heavy and doesn’t steer well AND, when I use it in my bare feet, I can FEEL the dirt shooting out the back of it and prickling my feet! OMG, and WHO’s idea was it to have these wretched canisters that have to be emptied and filters cleaned? Give me my O-L-D Electrolux with the power nozzle and bags any day. I didn’t realize how much I loved that vac till I bought this new one. Grrrrrrrrr.

I bought the second Hoover I found good recommendations for (the red one) and I really like it so far. Plus, that model and others have a switch you step on that stops the brushes spinning for bare floors, which stops the rocket propelled floor dirt problem.

The reason I’ve gone to bagless vacuums is because it is difficult to find bags for all vacuums without ordering online, or from a vacuum store. Thebig box stores carry a lot of bags, but I always seem to get the off models that aren’t readily available.

another vote for Dyson. Its DISGUSTING how much hair that thing pulls up. We also recently got the little Dyson dustbuster and that thing is pretty great too for the small jobs (like picking up the litter that is kicked out of the box, or random furballs)

Dyson is the most famous and powerful. If you dont want the dyson, or want smth cheaper - look at this article, they're not the best, but pretty nice options. https://bestvacuum.reviews/ P.S. If I were you - Id look at dyson first.

I have Corgis and a Dyson ball version. It’s wonderful

Old thread bumped by some kind of spam… But all the love for the Dyson ball thing is just so surprising! Do you guys not just HATE the wand part??? Or how difficult it is to get it to stick upright when you’re done vacuuming? Or how easily the canister thing pops out when you don’t want it to?

Yeah, I guess the thing vacuums okay but gawd it’s SUCH a pain to use. Don’t think I’ve ever just hated a vacuum so much! The wand is all but useless, it falls over CONSTANTLY, and the canister gets unseated all the time!

I have the original Dyson DC07. Mine was a special Target edition that basically just means it is red color instead of the original yellow. Seriously, this vacuum changed my life. The first time I used it I could just not BELIEVE the amount of dog hair and debris that thing sucked out of my clean, regularly vacuumed carpet. Suction and performance I had never seen before, and I was moonlighting as a house cleaner at the time and had way too much experience with the entire gamut of vacuums, from cheap ones to spendy ones that cost more than the Dyson.

Mine is still going strong 11 years later. Survived a full decade of 3 large hairy dogs in a fully carpeted house. Performance has declined twice on me over the years and I was also scared off by the repair stores. Thank god for the internet, especially youtube. I have no idea why vacuum cleaner repair stores post these things, especially step-by-step videos that detail the most common issues, and then show you exactly how to fix it yourself. But I’m so glad that they do, because I learned how to wash one filter and also replace another “never change” filter that quickly restored my DC07 to like-new performance. Replacement filters and the few other associated things were cheap and readily available online.

For about a year now I’ve down to one medium size, semi-hairy dog in a new house with all hardwood floors. The DC07 doesn’t seem to have lost a single step, but the demands are also much less now. I just have a couple of rugs and also use on the bare floors.

I’m sure there are new and better machines on the market now. I’ve heard great things about Shark vacuums. I’ve also heard that newer Dyson models are crappy. But I sure love my DC07. If I had to replace it, I’d be sorely tempted to buy a used one of the same thing. I really hope I don’t have to make that decision anytime soon!

I like Dyson V6, it`s so perfect vacuum, I love it! I advise everyone, good luck!

I’ve had a Dyson Animal for probably 12 years, maybe more. Love it. Well worth the price.

1 Like