Unlimited access >

Best way to kill weeds/grass under fence lines

I know it’s been discussed before, but I’m lazy.
I would prefer something other than using Roundup.
I think I’ve read where some people use salt?
Any help or new ideas appreciated

Salt water or vinegar sprayed on.
Or…
My horses keep a 2’ perimeter grazed to the ground all down my fencelines.
Because, apparently the grass really is greener :smirk:

1 Like

Curious, why are you against Roundup (assuming really glyphosate)? Adding salt to the soil isn’t all that good an idea either IMO. Yes, it is ‘natural’ and ‘organic’ but not always the best.

A few reference points on the use of salt as an herbicide

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/impact-soil-salt-herbicide-34731.html

https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=30921

https://aces.illinois.edu/news/homemade-herbicide-considerations

Glyphosate is a systemic herbicide, taken up by the foliage and translocated to the roots where the plant dies. It breaks down in the soil fairly quickly. I clarified glyphosate as there are a few different Roundup products that will have different active ingredients.

6 Likes

Roundup is not as safe as Monsanto told us for decades.

A very simple way is to weedeat underthe fences.
Ir use a propane torch to singe them off (they don’t have to burn, and obviously you don’t use the method on dead grass!)

2 Likes

Roundup is my go-to. Salt and Vinegar don’t work for me (or anyone else I’ve ever heard of trying it). Most permanent method is to use 1or 2 foot wide landscape fabric under the fence, cover with gravel. No weeds ever. The school where I taught used that method around buildings and athletic fences. Labor intensive, but only once. Saved considerable man-hours and herbicide cost after initial installation.

6 Likes

I have creeping grasses. after a while it would be taken over again.

The salt in water method has worked on weeds but I don’t know how well it would work on more lush grass.
If you don’t want to weedwack or use herbicide, id get a propane torch and burn it.

How much fenceline are you talking about? Nothing works perfectly; even Roundup.

Obviously weed wacking is a good solution but it’s hard when you have a lot of fencing.

from my experience I guess I would use the most expensive fertilizer specifically design and stated to “produce lush green grass” … applied as the label states …then surely all the grass/trees/shrubs in the fence line would die

There appears to be a direct correlation… The greater the cost the faster the death of the grass

15 Likes

Assuming the fence posts are wood, this is probably not the best idea. (I admit I life somewhere that we are not allowed to burn things right now because of the risk of causing a fire.)

@clanter’s post made me laugh. So freaking true.

We use Roundup around the fence posts and a combination of the technique (laugh) @2DogsFarm mentioned (horses grazing under the fence) and mowing with a zero turn that has a deck wider than the wheel base . With nothing growing around the posts, the lawn mower does quick work of mowing under the fence.

2 Likes

True, that nothing is perfect. One ‘trick’ (actually is on the label :slight_smile: ) is to apply when the plant is actively growing. Glyphosate is taken up by the foliage and translocated to the roots. If the plant is not actively growing and transpiring, the chemicals don’t make it to the roots.

Why timing is so critical if you are going to use glyphosate for stump removal. Gotta hit those roots before they get the memo the plant above ground is gone. :rofl:

2 Likes

you don’t burn the weeds, you singe them. and you don’t hold the torch up to the posts for that long either.

It won’t catch the posts on fire, I promise :slight_smile: just like how it takes a while for a big log to catch, you would have to really be trying if you set your fence on fire.

3 Likes

You know how it is though: the stuff you don’t want to burn down goes up like a tinderbox! :rofl:

3 Likes

I have photos of PVC four rail fence melted to the ground

Oh yes, DONT do it with plastic :smile: I was talking wood fences.

1 Like

I try to avoid chemicals whenever possible but fence lines are an exception.

Some of my weeds seem to enjoy being singed.

I’ve tried rock over landscape fabric - that works until an ounce of dirt gets under the rocks and on top of the fabric letting a weed seed take hold. Then the fabric is only good for holding the roots in place.

Glyphosate works on many weeds. You can adjust the strength based on the weeds you are trying to kill. The microprint pamphlet gives specifics. For small trees and shrubs I cut them down and then paint Glyphosate on the stump so it gets taken up by the roots. My fields don’t have a path to a watershed so I guess I’m only endangering myself with Roundup.

I live in the middle of crop fields in Illinois, when they spray herbicide, even on less windy days, I have to cover my garden, of course it still shrivels the new growth on my pine trees.

Some farmers are using a herbicide that reactivates when it rains - PLEASE don’t use this. I’m not a scientist but I just can’t believe this is going to have a good outcome.

I’m not anti Roundup per se. Was probably looking for something cheaper, but it appears that you get what you pay for? Using something more natural isn’t a bad idea though. I have about 20 acres of pasture broken into paddocks and larger fields,4 board fenced. It’s a lot of fence line.
I’ve looked at those DR mowers that you pull behind an atv or other device, but then you are at it all the time. I really just want to kill it. The look of gravel under the fence lines is really nice but that would be a huge project. I don’t have enough horses to keep it eaten down by the grass is always greener guys.
Really appreciate the alternative ideas.

I am curious - do you happen to know what this herbicide is???

I’ll look it up. I saw a segment on Ag Day.