Unlimited access >

Best way to kill weeds/grass under fence lines

Here is the info from Bayer:

Typical residual control stops working when the weather conditions become dry, and the herbicide doesn’t start working again. Corvus® herbicide offers reactivation and with as little as a half-inch of rain it actually does just that – it reactivates. https://www.cropscience.bayer.us/news/press-releases/2017/reactivation-keeps-corn-herbicide-working-when-others-stop

@baybrio Thanks for tracking down the name!

Interesting that it appears to be approved east of the Rockies (approximately) but not west of the Rockies (I’m in AZ).

If you are interested in some light reading… the product label (required by EPA/Federal Law) leaves one a little eek (couldn’t find the emoji).

I get why ag uses it but I sure hope individual ag users use it according to the label.

Interesting herbicide for sure.

1 Like

I’m not sure it even takes that! I put down good quality fabric under two inches of stone dust screenings around my barn. Figured it would look nice & be low maintenance? That stone dust grows weeds just fine :frowning: Still have to weed it regularly! What a bummer.

2 Likes

At least part of the country has a little sanity left.

:rofl: :rofl: I’ve haven’t seen any applicators take those precautions. Nobody sends me and my animals the protocol before they start application of anything. We won’t go into insecticides… Individual farmers are typically really good caring responsible people trying to earn a living, but we don’t live in the family farm era anymore.

As a property owner who leases ag land for crop production I found a farmer who does his best to use practices to improve the soil and minimize chemical usage. I could get more $$$$ if I leased to the highest bidder but I’m fortunate to not need the extra dollars (I have an off farm job). I do my best on the part of the land I use for animals. I think every little bit makes a difference.

1 Like

Maybe it because it needs 1/2 inch of rain or water to activate…and is not suggest for use in heavily irrigated fields

2 Likes

I know someone whose barn burned down from someone who didn’t quite get the technique right when torching weeds. I’m sure it works well for lots of people but it’s not something I’m willing to try.

1 Like

Go to your local co-op. I forget the name of it, but you can get 5 gallons of concentrate glyphosate for next to nothing. Bronco? Something like that.

Be careful about using Round-up. I had a bunch of buttercups under the fence line. My horses have never been interested in eating buttercups. So I sprayed them with Round-up and they start dying and I see the pony out there eating the buttercups ( with Round-up all over the leaves) like they are prime alfalfa. So I pulled up as many as I could. Next time I used Pasture Pro so maybe they weren’t going to die if they ate it. Now I do hate Pasture Pro/ Grazon but I wasn’t too keen about the horses eating Round-up. I need to spray again but I think I will pull the buttercups up when they start to die. I have been pulling them up unsprayed everytime I go out there so I do not have tons left except in one area.

If you want to get rid of the buttercups, mow them/pull them before they set seed. A few seasons of being persistent should keep the population to a fairly managable size.

1 Like

That is kind of what I am doing now in the small pasture. I have one small area that is covered because I am sure the soil is extremely acidic. I keep liming it but when it rains the lime washes into the big pasture. This whole small pasture is on a slope so that complicates things. I wish I could leave it open and fix it correctly but I need it for the fatties. I have eliminated them in most of the smaller area but my larger pasture has a good population of them which is too large to pull them up. It is time for the hired out mower to come and mow it though.

Mowing buttercups is a bitch, I’m not sure that’s possible? They grow SO close to the ground.

I mow the little pasture with a riding mower weekly but I still have buttercups. They get mowed short but they recover fast. Especially if it rains. I am more successful pulling them up when the soil is wet.

Mowing buttercups is like mowing dandelions. They know the mower is coming and move out of the way (or that is how it seems).

5 Likes

Maybe a couple of goats?

1 Like

Yeah, totally agree, that’s my experience too. I’ve even watched them rebloom, shorter and shorter, if I keep whacking them short. Eventually they’re blooming right at ground level! The little flowers that could, they’re such persistent little suckers.

Thankfully a few years of spraying has beaten them back from a “field of yellow” (THAT was a surprise the first year here!) to a few here and there.

I use a product called Eraser (Erasor? – I’d have to go out to the garage to make sure of the spelling). It’s cheaper than Roundup and all the feed stores here carry it. I mix it in a 2-gallon sprayer and it works well. I have persimmon trees (babies), cedars, agarita, and prickly ash growing in my fencelines. Eraser does a good job in combination with a chain saw and weed whacker with a brush blade. :o

The product is, indeed, Eraser :slight_smile: which contains glyphosate.

When applying glyphosate, best used when the plant is growing.

As always, read the label for precautions and always wear PPE :slight_smile:

1 Like

This. I had a few sheep as a kid, they mow under fences very well. Sheep I think are less adept escape artists than goats.

2 Likes

Buttercups are an indicator plant.
Takesoil samples and contact the county extension office.
You need to do some soil care to get rid of them!

Yes I know. The soil is very acidic and compacted in my little pasture. I keep putting lime on it and the rain keeps washing the lime downhill into the rest of the pasture. I don’t have the luxury of keeping the horses off of it so I have to do it before it rains and hope we don’t have torrential rain. In a perfect world this would be fixed.

1 Like