Beware [edit]

Anna is quite short - iirc Censational might actually be a pony.

Many years ago I boarded my (quite spectacular) OTTB at a barn owned by Germans who were importing WBs. I remember them watching me ride him, and the man saying, “he is a very nice horse…(long pause) for a Thoroughbred”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, it is a pony. FS Don’t Worry is a GRP stud :slight_smile: And Caramel FH, too.

FS is the prefix for Ferienhof Stücker, a very big GRP breeder and FH is the suffix for Freibeger Hof which also breeds GRPs :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s indeed a typical german comment to make :laughing: TBs over here are seen as high performance sport horses and nothing any ammy should touch without proper assistance from somebody that is used to handling TBs. Don’t know why this is the case, but people even tend to “not like” WBs with high TB percentages, because they “will not be ammy friendly” and “sport horses”. :laughing:

Our general WBs have a TB percentage ranging between 20 to 40%. Always calculated 6 generations back. My own mare has about 25%, but the first TBs to show up in her pedigree are in 5th gen (Ladykiller xx, *1961, Rantzau xx, *1946, Tin Rod xx, *1964, Endspurt xx, *1941) and in 6th Der Löwe xx, *1944. So this is all way back :smiley:

5 Likes

I really appreciate your contributions to this thread. I think it’s great to get perspective from another continent with a different predominant population of horses.

I’ve ridden plenty of warmbloods, as well as TBs and Arab crosses. And, a few QHs. They all have variation. Some of the warmbloods were more quiet and rideable than a memorable QH I had years ago.

I do think some people in the US have a distorted perception of warmbloods because of the lines that are more predominant here, and trends in horses that were imported here over the last few decades. Also… some of the stallions who were imported in the 80’s and early 90’s? Some were not necessarily Europe’s best, and had temperament challenges. And that too has influenced the US population of warmbloods, and negative perceptions.

Back to one of the starting topics of this thread… DHH. I wonder how different the population of DHH in the Netherlands is from the growing population of DHH here in the US. Just idle curiosity. But… it seems like there is a considerable amount of unselective breeding of DHH happening in the US now, and horses getting dumped at auctions. I wonder if breeding is more selective in the Netherlands?

2 Likes

Tbh (I live far away from the border to NL) I barely know of the existance of DHH. I even had to google which breed it is (Tuigpaard). I would have to ask people from NL about DHHs, because apart from in the NL I don’t know if there even exist DHHs elsewhere in Europe (of course, there might be exceptions, but this is a very local NL breed). :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m talking about height, not breeding

Very interesting that it’s so local in Europe, but becoming a fad across the US.

I would assume by the comment oversized, that this particular pony is above 148cm, so not in the height range for ponys anymore.

Googled it: He’s 15.1h which is roughly 154cm, so he’s bigger than the offical pony height.

3 Likes

Yes - pony bred and probably pony-registered. Astrid described it as “oversized.” so I assume it was over 14.2h (which would preclude it from getting a “pony card” in the hunter divisions). I believe GRPs can be slightly over that, almost 14.3h - correct?

I’d love to know how tall it actually is, but it doesn’t really matter - I think it is wonderful to see the “littles” out there in the upper levels. We used to see a couple of Dutch RPs at dressage shows in this area - owned and ridden mostly by their very petite female rider, although her husband later started showing one of them. IIRC, one or both of those ponies went to at least PSG. Ponies have become more common at the shows over the years, although in most cases, they are ridden by kids.

Ah, I now see that @thereadinghorse confirmed my thoughts about the “pony” in question!

2 Likes

The DHH is the Amish puppy mill horse right now. I see dozens of them around because I live a mile or two from a heavily Amish area. They used to mostly breed Standardbreds, but now are switching to DHH so they can sell them as “KWPN dressage prospects” for more $$$ (but a lot less than an actual dressage-bred WB).

I don’t blame them, and they can be cute lower level horses, but many struggle to canter and are not built to collect at all.

I think OP has plenty of competition already as these horses are everywhere in my area.

8 Likes

Well maybe they can’t canter or collect but dang, that doesn’t mean they aren’t suitable for producing offspring that CAN do those things. :roll_eyes:

And yes, I am being sarcastic!

12 Likes

Your mare looks lovely and a blast to ride.

Please don’t take this as disparaging, as it is intended to be the opposite - this mare looks like the nice TBs and blooded WBs we have here; we have lots of horses like this in the US. If someone showed me this video, other than the jumps, I would have assumed it was taken in the indoor of one of our local event facilities.

8 Likes

You speak to the fate of the average riding horse. What do the commercial breeders do with mares who do not produce? what about those who fail in the breeding shed and fail to become riding horses? What do the commercial breeders do with youngstock with medical issues (congenital)?

When I was involved heavily in breeding and keeping track of what was going on across the pond, there was a more systematic approach it seemed based on my colleagues accounts to the selection of those who made it into the breeding shed so-to-speak and not just breeding a horse of a specific color to another of a specific color just to sell something that appealed to the masses based on the resulting color which happens in the US all to frequently. So culling can occur from two directions - those who are selected to be bred vs. those who are not and then those removed from the breeding herd based on specific criteria. It seems that in certain other countries the method of selection for the purpose of breeding is more systematic, based on objective criteria then what we see here.

6 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: She’s often mistaken for a TB or blooded WB. But she’s not even close to being blooded. She has a particular old, unmodern hannoverian pedigree with really old lines. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know which breeders you know, but those I know are quite small and care for their horses. So my pov might be different.

Horses not used for breeding will be used for riding. Most times. Unridden broodmares isn’t that common. Most mare will be ridden at least for a short period of time, before they go into the breeding barn, so if they prove unworthy of breeding, they will be sold as lightly ridden. Giving them away for meat is unlucrative, as you won’t get much money. Selling them as riding horses is much more profitable. My own mare is such a horse. She’d been a broodie and after not getting pregnant anymore she was sold (to me).

2 Likes

What’s her breeding? Just curious.

1 Like

That’s her: https://www.horsetelex.de/horses/pedigree/1749421/contendra-i

3 Likes

Contender/Argentan is a classic “Nick” for jumpers. Nice mare.

3 Likes

She does a good job with me. :smiley: I did begin her myself as she was actually not ridden before. She had two foals in her career as broodie, then went empty 5 years and after that her breeder finally chose to sell her. She was bred to a Welsh B, because she’s so small (157cm, although horsetelex states 158cm). Two full brothers, of which one of them is a FEI dressage pony. So she herself is more of a jumper/eventer type, but she produces nice dressage ponys if paired with the right stud. She is genetically a double purpose horse.

6 Likes