Unlimited access >

Bit buddies -- recommend me a bit

Hello COTH pals! I’m in the process of experimenting with bits for my 5 y/o OTTB and, as an aspiring bit nerd myself, would love some recommendations!

THE PROBLEM: Horse occasionally gapes his mouth, seems to not like strong contact but still needs help with steering and, every once in a while, brakes

THE HORSE: 5 y/o OTTB gelding, ran his last race in May '21, I’ve had him since July. Mouthy in general but overall very quiet. Has had his whole mouth checked out, some sharp points but otherwise normal tongue and normal palette. Goes well in a Waterford, but plays with it a lot, has gone in a full cheek snaffle with copper roller and gaped with it

Would love suggestions on a bit type to try, I try to ride with light contact but am still very much an adult ammy who tenses up when the OTTB gets a little up. While I work on what I can control, I want to continue to experiment with bits to keep him as happy as possible!

TIA!

1 Like

Less is more: https://adamshorsesupply.com/korsteel-barrel-dee-ring-bit.html

Well I always like to try something simple with no moving parts… try a straight bar mullen mouth or large tongue groove bit, with full cheeks. I have one like this, and pull it out every now and again for use. Am using in now on 2 greenies who were both reluctant to steer (it was freaky!) I can’t tell you what this bit is called, because I didn’t buy it… it came in a sack of unwanted tack that was left abandonded at our farm about 25 years ago, and I haven’t ever seen one like it in a store- but they must be out there. It’s really good for fussy mouthed horses- horses who don’t understand about bits. They like and understand about this one.

1 Like

My favorite OTTB set-up is a nathe loose ring with a flash. The nathe is thin and inoffensive to most of them, and combined with the flash, you address the gaping and give yourself a little leverage. This is what mine go in almost exclusively to start. I agree to stay away from moving parts—it’s why I don’t do single-jointed (or often even double) bits for them to start. As much as we all hear about how “pulling” on an OTTB makes them stronger, these horses DO know what contact is and I don’t think they like the feeling of something moving around in their mouth as a rule, instead preferring something like a nathe or a mullen mouth that they can take a hold of a bit.

4 Likes

I think @NancyM is talking about something like this: https://www.doversaddlery.com/blue-alloy-hunter-dee-mlln-mth/p/X1-013276/, which is a staple in my tack room but I don’t introduce to OTTBs until much later—it has a little leverage and can be on the stronger side, but they do seem to quite like it.

Riding my 5 year old in a Duo with D-Ring and no nose band. No gaping, but definitely still working on taking contact.

As a nervous re-rider long lines are your friend to help educate his mouth on days you might feel more anxious or days he could be up.

4 Likes

All of my OTTBs have preferred non metal bits with a large majority ending up in a leather bit (one ended with a Bomber Blue bit instead due to her discipline of choice being Dressage where leather bits aren’t legal). They are cheap to try and I have yet to have a horse have an adverse reaction to them. Sweet Billy’s Bits on Etsy is where I get mine. The thinner Mullen mouth that is moldable seems to help a lot of the TBs with the concept of pushing up into the bit and taking contact, while still retaining enough brakes. I’d recommend a D ring or eggbutt to start in as I’ve recently figured out that while loose rings have always been taught to me as the end all be all, the majority of my horses ended up preferring fixed cheek bits.

Other things to note on the gaping - check/ double check teeth and bridle fit (not just tightness/ looseness of piece but where they fall on his face). I bought a horse in August that gapes (she will do it in a standard, or even no cavesson, with a rubber loose ring) and for her it is a sign of her mental state. She is incredibly well trained but a very anxious horse and has improved to where she doesn’t gape on the flat but does when we start jumping.

3 Likes

I start mine in a Trust rubber mullen d ring. Most take about a year before they’re ready to move out of it.

1 Like

I like a simple full cheek french link. The french link joint prevents it from poking the roof of his mouth, the full cheek helps with steering and keeping it steady in the mouth, and when used with bit keepers they also get a touch of leverage action.

As for the mouth being open, that could be an OTTB thing, or just a baby thing - a lot of horses still have trouble with contact at this age. I would just pick a mild/soft bit and be patient for a while with simple flatwork and see if he naturally settles into it more.

4 Likes

That’s similar to mine, but not the same. Mine has no leverage. Rings are smaller. That one looks to have similar leverage as the completely simple Myler D with no “hooks”. I have one of those too, sometimes find a horse who likes it too.

Going to second leather bits—I wish I had used one sooner on my guy. He is much less likely to gape or fuss or grind his teeth with the leather bit. I get mine off Etsy. They do take a little more maintenance but I think they’re worth it. I think I paid $50.

Mine schools in a leather egg butt at home. Looking at getting him a leather Pelham that fits at shows as that’s where you need a little more leverage in the corners.

Also echo whoever said TBs want contact—absolutely true. Mine has always wanted me to have contact, more than any of my past hunters. That said, the leather bits are the first where he’s truly seeking (and practically setting) the contact with very little prompting from me.

5 Likes

This is a horse I would do a barrel style bit with. I ride mostly in Myler MB02-04, MB32, MB32/3, MB33 mouthpieces with appropriate cheek pieces.

Professional Equine and Cavalon Tack has a nice barrel bits for a GREAT price if you don’t want to invest in a Myler. They are pricey, but the quality can’t be surpassed. Links below for all 3!

Cavalon Tack

Myler BitsProfessional Equine Bits on Amazon

2 Likes

This has been my approach thus far. I tend to have a less is more approach, and want to keep whatever is in his mouth as simple as possible. I’ve experimented with a french link, d-ring, a mullen mouth, all at different points in our “journey”. I think we might dip back into a mullen for a bit and see how it goes!

I’m very curious about the leather bit, but don’t know anyone in real life who has tried it (not that that’s a bad thing!).

1 Like

https://instagram.com/sweetbillysbits?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

^^who I order leather bits from. Honestly compared to the cost of some other bits, it’s worth taking the risk of the horse not liking it.

someone wrote a nice blog about their experience here: https://breedrideevent.com/2021/02/03/the-leather-bit/

4 Likes

That’s who I order from as well. Last count was 5? Bits from them. All beautifully made and came quickly. Very inexpensive compared to other bit options nowadays and I’ve even sold one or two that ended up not fitting very quickly on FB marketplace so I think they are well worth the cost.

1 Like

Just be careful ordering from sweet Billy’s as they do not have a nylon core as a safety measure. IMO all leather bits should have something like that because leather is not terribly durable especially if your horse chews at all. I know someone who had their sweet Billy’s bit snap clean in half while riding (!) after only using it a handful of times. You get what you pay for.

3 Likes

Came here to say this, and that’s why I wouldn’t ever ride in one of their bits. Horses can chew through them extremely easily. Here’s the leather bit I use: https://www.farmhousetack.com/products/trust-leather-dee-straight

3 Likes

Yep and unfortunately my OTTB has historically been a chewer, this isn’t something I’d risk.

1 Like

Leather covered bits are common on the racetrack. I still have two straight bar spoon bits, leather covered, and a leather covered ring bit. Haven’t used them since I dont train racehorses any more, but they are still there just in case I need them LOL. Yes, they can chew and wear the leather down/destroy it, but the bits can be recovered by a saddler. Oh, and I have a leather covered full cheek snaffle, single joint, I had that one covered by a saddler, but it rubbed the horse’s lips, IDK why. I believe that some of the leather bits used in the hunter world may not have a metal mouthpiece under the leather covering… perhaps a nylon core, leather covered? IDK. To make them flexible? Could be interesting to try. I wouldn’t use one without something unbreakable in the middle, because the leather can be chewed through. You could look into what is available.

1 Like

Did your friend reach to them about it? With it happening with little use that sounds like a defect in the stitching or the leather.

I rode my busy mouthed horse in one for a while with no ill effects to the bit but YMMV. None of my 4-5 show any real signs of wear other than being a different color than when they arrived.

However a wrapped leather bit is no where near the same as a 100% leather bit. The 100% leather is much thinner and infinitely softer/ bendier (you can fold them in half on themselves very easily) which will not give the horse the same feel as a metal Mullen with a leather overlay. It’s similar to a Duo bit but still not quite the same.