Unlimited access >

Bit buddies -- recommend me a bit

Looking at the Sweet Billy’s Instagram page, it looks like there’s an option to get the leather bits with a rope core.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgFHZRCLlSM/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Kind of jumping in here, but looking at something similar and came across winderen bits.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences? May be useful to you @coffeehag as they are gel bits that are supposed to be very kind for sensitive mouths, but can’t be chewed through.
I’ve used nathe previously and they are unusable very quickly if they are chewed

1 Like

I’ve had several OTTBs that disliked any metal bit. I’ve found them more accepting of a double jointed nonmetal bit (happy mouth is my go to). I think a lot of TBs have a low palate and find a Mullen mouth or French snaffle more comfortable.

3 Likes

Highly recommend the Expert Bit loose ring comfy barrel. Looks like a myler but my OTTB chomper has completely stopped chomping. I have tried numerous tongue/palate relief bits but this was the golden child. (Upgraded from a NS Turtle tactio).

Super, super impressed with it.

2 Likes

I just ordered some of the BR brand bits from the Hypostore website. They had some options for small center link, thinner mouthpiece bits that I wasn’t able to find much of stateside (they are made in the Netherlands). I haven’t received and tried them yet but wanted to put them on your radar since they seem like pretty good value and options.

1 Like

Expert bits do a knockoff version of this one too.

1 Like

I hear that, definitely a valid concern, and it must be a YMMV kind of situation. :woman_shrugging:

1 year, 4-5 days of use—now we’re at the point of replacing it, and really only because he got ahold of it on his own while standing around in the crossties.

The biggest pain the butt is the maintenance of the leather. Definitely not a quick rinse under the sink faucet like you can with most other bits.

1 Like

Yes the small mouth is a thing! I tried the horse in my avatar in a happy mouth before we found the leather and while she liked it, it was too thick to where she couldn’t close her mouth completely while the bit was in.

Quick tip for the NS bits - you can try them for $20 (per bit I think) via Florence @ Try My Bits. She is super kind and helpful and it was very useful to be able to rule those out without investing in one or buying a knockoff and then wondering if the Real Deal would have been different. She sent a few bits which didn’t work but DID give me more feedback on what the horse does/ doesn’t like.

Bit Barn Canada has a deal for free shipping and a free 30 day trial on all metal bits on their site currently. They stock several brands - Fager, Bomber, Trust and I think Beris too. I ordered one from them to try yesterday.

Can you tell I’ve been around this “bit thing” too? Lol

1 Like

I’m with WildGooseChase. I’m a huge fan of Mylers. I think the one I ride most of mine in is the MB43LP with hooks. I love that you can add a curb chain for a little “more” if you need it (i.e. away at shows), but still effectively have the same bit.

It was the bit that made my OTTB the happiest just off of the track, and has been his at-home bit for most of his life. We did spend many years using stronger bits at shows (slow twist gag), but then he settled down (or grew up?) finally, and he spent most of his FEI GP years back in the Myler with a curb chain.

3 Likes

YMMV but most of my TBs have gone well in Waterfords! My current boy is like yours and LOVES to play with his bits and chomp so the Waterford was pretty short lived for him although he went well in it despite the chomping. We also tried a soft rubber bit and it just seemed to make him angry, even though it wasn’t harsh.
I now have him in a double jointed bit with a flash or a figure 8. I ride him in a full cheek at home and a 2 ring at shows, both with the same mouthpiece.
I’ve found that (generally) TBs tend to have such low palettes and such small mouths that if you want to go with a single or double jointed bit, it can’t be one that cracks upwards into the top of their mouth. The double jointed ones I use bend forward instead of upward and my boy really seems to love that and respond well. Neue Schule makes some (pricy, obviously!) but you can find others similar to this: https://www.doversaddlery.com/metalab-mgc-dbl-jnt-fll-chk/p/X1-013596/
The ones I use have copper in the middle like the NS bits but I don’t know how much of a difference the copper makes.

1 Like

Most of the double jointed bits I’ve used have the roller in the middle so they don’t break upwards. I think the Dr. Bristols break upward and the french link stay flat on the tongue.

Lots of good and interesting thoughts here. For reference, here’s the nathe I’ve been quite successful with: https://hermsprengerusa.com/product/nathe-standard-snaffle-20-mm-130-mm-width-2. It gets a little chewed up on the backside, but it’s truly a bit that seems to serve them so well given all the things we’ve discussed here—low palates, small mouths, seeking contact, etc.

1 Like

All this gaping means either a) the hands are a problem or b) the mouthpiece is the problem (more than the cheeks and other aspects of a bit.)

I would ask your dentist to show you how big the gap between his top and bottom gums is, how thick his tongue is, and if he has a low palate. If the space is small and the tongue is thick to boot, he won’t be able to tolerate a thick bit, or a bit with a thick lozenge. Try something thin (12mm or less if legal for your discipline) and very smooth and see if the gaping goes away. This will also have the effect of concentrating pressure on a smaller area - better brakes.

If you still need more brakes you can add poll pressure to keep a head down with a small amount of leverage creaked by the cheeks (a Kimberwick, pelham etc), or a gag for action which puts pressure on the corners of the mouth to raise the head.

I will say, I went through a million bits with my first OTTB back in the day but finally discovered he’d go well in ANYTHING if my hands were very still and light. So as easy as changing bits seems, have a cold hard look at what’s attached to the other end of the reins too.

3 Likes

His tongue and palate are considered normal but I know that TBs can have especially sensitive bars.

I think it’s a likely combination of hands and mouthpiece; hands get tense when horse gets tense but I don’t think the current bit is the perfect one either. I’m getting a consult with Horse by Horse but am leaning towards trying him in a NS full-cheek turtle!

1 Like

@Hightale - I tried the Winderen bits when I was looking for a US dressage legal option for a horse that liked a leather bit.

They are very durable and come in different stiffnesses of material. I used the most flexible (super flexi) option since I was trying to get something with a similar feel to leather.

My horse liked but didn’t love the bit. I think he liked the flexibility but it was too thick for his mouth. It only comes in an 18mm diameter.

He’s currently in a Trust bit in the narrower (15mm) diameter. I think the Winderen is a high quality durable bit and worth a try if your horse has room for a thicker mouthpiece.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @GreyDes, I really appreciate the feedback.
I knew about the range of flexibility available but hadn’t realised they only came in a single diameter and its a wide one to boot! I can see that, as you found, it might throw up an issue.
He’s ISH, but 3/4 TB and very much favours that side of his breeding.

Do you know if they ship to the US?

Yes. They ship worldwide.

1 Like

@kaya842 any tips on restoring a leather bit? I have one that’s been sitting a while and it’s stiff and unappealing but I’d like to put it on a sensitive mouth TB to see how she likes it. Soak in oil?

i find that if a horse goes well in a Waterford, it’s for the tongue relief. Something plastic with a port may work well. I have the Trust brand Waterford gag, but I think they also make a full cheek plastic ported bit. Even a gag with two reins may work well for control.

1 Like