Unlimited access >

Bit buddies -- recommend me a bit

Any reason not to try a hackamore for a bit? :slight_smile: Can still ride with contact.

Sorry to say, an adult amateur rider is way out of her/his league with a 5yo OTTB. Hope you have already read and re-read Anne’s book Bert’s book, Bills books, George’s books and at least 20 more which could be cross referenced. You would benefit from an old, patient schoolmaster so only one of you would be making mistakes during a ride.

What? I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume I must be misunderstanding you. Are you saying because the OP is an AA they shouldn’t have a 5 y/o OTTB? I sure hope not. If you’re saying what I think you are, I guess I’m SOL :joy: because I’m an AA with a 5 y/o OTTB mare I’m just about to restart.

9 Likes

Hahaha I hope you’re joking glenburn - I restarted a good handful of OTTBs straight off the track as a college student and did just fine. In fact, they were mostly AA or even kid horse types when we sold them on, with just ONE needing a more professional ride to jump around!

5 Likes

As the late Al Steiert used to say, it takes too much time to unteach the wrong things before you can build on the correct things.

Sorry for the delay! Yes soaking in oil for a short while, 5-15 min depending on how dry, should do the trick.

1 Like

Huh? I’m an adult amateur who restarts and sells 5-6 OTTBs each year. I don’t think they’re “way out of my league,” and my buyers don’t seem to either. What a bizarre statement!

11 Likes

I’m an amateur who starts young horses from scratch! AND restarts OTTBs on occasion I had no idea I was Doing It Wrong these past 25 years. No-one tell the horses.

7 Likes

I found my OTTB prefers the Expert Bit comfy barrel over anything else, much quieter in the mouth.

We have and do buy beautiful TB’s, and WB’s and when they came from “amateurs”, it usually took more than one year to get the laterals fixed and to develop the top line. Now we only buy from a select few pros. So if you are preparing for people who are happy with walk, trot, and canter, have at it. For those of us whose horses will need great laterals and smooth transitions to complete a competitive trip, thanks anyway.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OK!

6 Likes

Perhaps by USEF rules, you are not an amateur. Just saying?

One could argue, Glenburn, that if you’re looking for a horse with great laterals and smooth transitions, you might be the one in need of a schoolmaster.**

11 Likes

Hmm, so buying and selling my own horses for a profit makes me not an amateur? That’s news to me. I don’t swing a leg over anything I don’t own, nor do I get paid to ride or train.

7 Likes

Check the rule book or call USEF and repeat what you said here.

Please read a book.

I’ll quote it for posterity and repeat it louder for those in the back: I restart and sell 5-6 OTTBs each year. In case I have to spell it out for you, these are horses that I own and pay the bills on. What a bizarre case you are.

6 Likes

Again, repeat your original statement, as written, to the USEF, not to me.

Ever heard of pinhooking?

As my family of lawyers/judges would say, when in a hole, stop digging.