Unlimited access >

Who are the new standard-bearers?

How do you mute users? Or block? Cause while I love a good laugh, I’m just bored of it now. yawn

Aww Glenny Glen doesn’t want to play anymore. :frowning:

This may be a surprise, but posters are not in control of what other posters say or do.

5 Likes

Unless it deviates off topic to a personal affront.

Shall I quote you?

1 Like

A few more (with a few extra words to satisfy the board gods):

I doubt it as well. I wonder if English is not @glenburn’s first language, or if they are a young person trying it on. Many curious word choices.

Trying to school @Tha_Ridge (on another thread) about the USEF amateur rules (incorrectly) makes me doubt the big time persona.

I just watched the replay of the WEF Saturday 5*Grand Prix. United Touch S was fun to watch as usual, as was James Kann Cruz, who looks like he could go around without a rider. There are so many different riding styles internationally.

Neither Beezie nor McLain were showing, but after all these years, whenever I see them ride I am still very impressed. Being duck footed myself, I’ve never failed to be impressed by their leg position.

4 Likes

McLain was busy winning €830,000 in Europe over the weekend (see Grand Slam thread).

I agree that Beezie and McLain usually both look like very strong contenders to win the 1.60 equitation award. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Don’t they though! :joy: I’d love to see that class. Start practicing @supershorty628.

Yes, I wasn’t able to watch the Rolex class that McLain won, but did catch the jump off round. Azure is quite the mare and McLain has such balance.

1 Like

I laughed. That was something.

3 Likes

Ditto.

1 Like

Many years ago by now, there were a couple of special event equitation classes in Wellington for professionals. One was for past winners of the equitation finals. And the other a few years later was for jumper riders who had represented their countries in Olympic or Nations Cup competitions, including riders from many different nations, as I recall.

Both classes were tremendous fun to watch, and the riders took them very, very, very seriously. I would love to see something similar happen again.

4 Likes

Oh, me too!

How fun! I would loved to have seen them. Do you remember if the U.S. was competitive and /or who judged?

I don’t remember who judged either class by this time. I know Leslie Howard won the first one for previous equitation winners. To make it even better, she borrowed the great equitation horse Scout, who was a Pinto, since she won the finals herself on a Pinto back in the day. She also wore the exact same boots that she had worn the day she won the finals. That was a great touch.

I don’t remember who won the second one off the top of my head, although it will probably come to me at 3 o’clock tomorrow morning. But one thing I do remember very clearly was that they called back the top riders into the ring to test and asked them to change horses.

And one of them was an Irish guy who immediately hopped off his horse and jumped up on the other horse. Then he looked around and realized that everybody else was changing saddles for the test. So he hopped back off and switched saddles. That was hilarious. Lol.

5 Likes

Still not under the control of other posters.

1 Like

:rofl: Thanks for sharing those memories. I can picture the Irish rider in my mind.

Oh, I wish they’d do that again. With the value of horses being what it is today, I don’t know how many owners would lend their 1.60 horses for a “fun” class but maybe it could be sponsored by some kind, generous soul.

1 Like

Sorry, they were not actually jumping 1.60 for those exhibition classes. They were showing over 3’6” jumps for the occasion, and practicing like mad the week before on their posture and position, as I recall. Lol.

Here is the press release about the class. I have not found the Chronicle article yet with the results, but I’m sure it’s online somewhere.

5 Likes

Doesn’t the West coast still have something similar? Maybe not exactly the same but at least a prominent equitation class for professionals, right?

I think I remember seeing something about that, but I don’t know the details.

Leslie Howard, why does that not surprise me a bit. I wish I could have seen that!!!

3 Likes