Unlimited access >

Boots for riding and walking

hey Y’all,

I have some foot issues-I have that thing that feels like I’ve gotten the Yosemite Sam hot foot after I ride like 2 + hours especially if a lot of two point. I have some stirrups that help. My favorite boots old Mountain Horse that they apparently don’t make any more just broke a zipper. The thick rubber sole and wide toe bed really helped. I have seen some Ovation Mooreland II’s that seem similar? Anyone have experience with Ovation? What do y’all wear that’s easy on the feet, but that you can get off and do some barn chores in?
I’d like for them to be long lasting too! I’m cheap lol.
Any advice appreciated.

Regards,
Huntin’ Fool

2 Likes

I like my Ariat elastic sided paddock boot. They just changed models but they are comfortable for walking and riding. I wear half chaps and take them off for chores and ground work. Blundstones killed my feet

3 Likes

I love my Ariat Terrain H2O lace-up. I do everything in them, chores, walking, and wear them with 1/2 chaps to ride. Just yesterday confirmed how waterproof they are, my foot sank almost to the ankle in watery snow/mud/muck in the paddock and my feet remained dry. They’re also VERY comfortable to me (ex PF sufferer) - I have hiked in them for 3 hours on hilly terrain. No problem.

11 Likes

I like the Ariat Terrain H2O lace-up and I’m about to purchase my third pair after wearing out the previous two as my go-to walking boots, standing all day boots, as trail riding boots and neat and tidy boots with matching half chaps.

6 Likes

I am a barn manager. I am on my feet for a good 8 hours per day. I have had plantar fascititis twice. I love my Ariat Terrain H2O lace-up. I am on my second pair. One of the few truly waterproof shoes that I can find. Truthfully I have not ridden in them as I ride in tall boots and currently don’t own half chaps.

I had been wearing some LL Bean boots and flared my PF. I had a brain fart. I forgot to bring a pair of street shoes to work to change into when I went to my appointment with the podiatrist for my 2nd injection. He loved the Ariat Terrains I was wearing. He flexed them and said they were very supportive.

6 Likes

Are the Ariat H2o Terrains heavy? I had a pair of non-waterproof Terrains years ago that were very comfortable but I can’t remember if they were heavy or not. I wore them for riding, not walking; now I’m looking for something comfortable for walking that is also waterproof without weighing my feet down. My last pair of walking shoes from LL Bean were so heavy they hurt my back as well as my legs.

2 Likes

I just hiked 3 miles in mine yesterday - I don’t think they’re particularly heavy.

3 Likes

Another vote for the Ariat Terrain H20. I don’t ride in them, but they are very comfortable for walking. I wouldn’t call them heavy, but they are sturdy and really good in wet/mud etc. They are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned.

4 Likes

Thank y’all!
I will look for some next time I go into town. It’s so nice to be able to actually try on shoes instead of just ordering online.

3 Likes

Blundstones. They keep me sound!

4 Likes

Mine (size 6) weigh 2.30 lbs. A bit heavier than my Merrell hiking shoes, but my Merrell just sprang a leak and they are “younger” than my Ariat.

3 Likes

I ride, hike/ run and do barn work in my trail running shoes (Hoka One One)- so much more comfy than any riding boot.

4 Likes

No heel.

3 Likes

2.3 lbs. is about the same weight as my Lands’ End shoes. So the Terrains should be fine weight-wise. Thank you for posting that.

2 Likes

If you have caged stirrups there is no need for a heel

5 Likes

Another vote for Ariat Terrain. They are supportive, comfortable and sturdy

3 Likes

I wonder if good insoles would help too.

1 Like

I have these too. Love, love , love them! Use them for just about everything.

I have a pair of waterproof and they are a little heavier than the pair I have that is not waterproof but not bad at all.

1 Like

Thanks.

Thank you, everyone. I have ordered a pair of the waterproof Terrains to try on. Cross fingers please but not canters!