Unlimited access >

Bought A Horse - Update

I’m going to guess that the seller was micromanaging in hopes that she could prevent the horse from revealing its true character.

I’m very sorry that you got hurt— and that your poor friend was traumatized— on your first real ride. Amazing that we have to “vet” the sellers as much as the horse.

I hope you heal quickly! :heart:

5 Likes

I think I might just look into a care lease. We really don’t have a wealth of schoolmasters available. The ones that I know of are for sale and have eye popping six figure price tags.

But you never know. Once my ribs heal enough to get into a saddle, I will check out the lease route.

I am so darn disappointed.
Sheilah

17 Likes

Aw, man. That sucks. I’m so sorry. I broke ribs and got a pneumo coming off a horse when I was a kid–I can’t imagine dealing with that now that I no longer bounce. If you’re ever vacationing in the panhandle and want a boring ride, I’ll hook you up with one of the pensioners…or Mr O’Pony if you want to drive. He’s the only one with an age in the single digits.

4 Likes

Everything about this sucks, so so sorry that you got hurt, some sellers have all the nerve…

I agree that any costs you have encountered should be covered, can’t help thinking something for pain and suffering.

5 Likes

Sending healing vibes. You have a great attitude about this whole thing. I would be raging and looking for compensation!

5 Likes

Oh my gosh, I am heartbroken to hear this, and so angry at the seller. What a piece of junk human being.

I wish you were closer, I’ve got a safe-for-days gelding that’s small and perfect for you. If you’re ever near the Chicago-land area, you’re welcome to come out and enjoy.

Again, I am so sorry, and I hope you heal soon.

Does this seller “flip” horses? Might be worth posting their name…

8 Likes

She had three for sale. She steered us away from the mare, saying she was too much horse fir us. And the yearling was too much of everything. She gave us a sad story about breaking up with her boyfriend and moving out of state and needing to sell.

To be honest, we were more interested in the horse than her reasons why she was selling. I do know that she blamed my poor riding on what happened. According to her I spooked him by dropping my hands so low and wide when he started to flip his head. I know she was saving face, since she was responding to my Facebook post about the accident. She said she knew in her heart that he needed a better rider. Which is a different story when we offered to buy him.

Moral of the story is to trust your gut. No matter how much you want something,
Sheilah
P.S. We got our money back, minus the $1,300 PPT bill.

19 Likes

How aggravating, I’m sorry.

A safe horse is a safe horse, you should be able to ride them while doing a handstand and it wouldn’t make a lick of difference. This seller was dishonest and you paid the price.

13 Likes

Now seller’s blaming you - what a piece of work

13 Likes

I am so sorry. What a piece of work that seller is. :frowning: Sending you lots of healing jingles.

5 Likes

Yet she still sold him to you! What a piece of work, hope your ribs are letting you rest, broken ribs are no fun,

8 Likes

What a liar.

Most horses do not bronc under any circumstances. A very few are committed bronc buckers and only a careful lucky ride will keep it in check. I am dealing with a project horse in that category, and it’s rare. They just lose their mind, if you aren’t a pro rider and fast enough to head it off, they go ballistic and dump you.

Most horses don’t do this. The most you get is a boop in canter transitions or the back side of a jump. The bronc thing panic thing is a whole other matter.

100 per cent seller knew this. 95 per cent seller is a low end low volume flipper taking on problem horses and trying to be a trainet. And 110 per cent we now know a liar and a sleazeball.

18 Likes

Next time a seller tells you something like” Adequan stopped the bucking” ? Run it by us on here. Its used in managing chronic arthritic and wear and tear issues and seller just made that one up and made it sound like she knew what she was talking about. Really, we are here all the time and have heard it all, often suffered the consequences of blind belief. Though Adequan as a bucking cure is a first for me.

And this deadbeat admitted she hadn’t ridden him in months yet put you on him and he went well??? Im sure she gave him something and it wasn’t Adequan. She risked your safety and she flat out lied right to your face.

Try to enlist some help from your trainer or a friend with good knowledge of area horsemen. Its best to vet your seller as carefully as your sales prospect too because theres no way your seller here pulled this stunt out of nowhere, bet those who know her were not surprised in the least. She knows she did wrong too or she would not have refunded your money so easily.

Maybe your friend will cool down a little and reconsider her decision. You got had. Not everybody operates like that.

8 Likes

So sorry Sheila’s. The seller’s tactics are why I have nearly always gotten youngsters…except I’m 66 now so the youngsters are beyond my health. Crap, with our goofy spring weather, the 20 yo has been quite challenging over the last couple weeks. When Kyra is gone, that is it. If I still feel like I need to ride, I will look for a part lease. I just DO NOT trust most people to be able to represent their horses honestly.

Jingles you heal fast.

Susan

7 Likes

[quote=“Scribbler, post:5, topic:770303, full:true”]
There are so many horses that don’t buck like broncos. Really the behavior you describe is very rare. [/quote]

I agree.

I see this as more of trying to make sure everyone is comfortable with the first ride over the previous owner being sketchy? The fact that the horse bucked with the new rider 2x and the previous owner 0 times is strange.

I am so sorry it didn’t work out @IdahoRider and completely surprised at the change in the horses attitude between when you test rode him and when you rode him at your barn.

I wish you better luck at finding a solid , dependable mount in the future ( they are out there) and wish you a speedy recovery.

2 Likes

Original OP states horse had a history of bucking admitted by seller AFTER the fact.

9 Likes

I think this seller deserves the COTH Explosive Diarrhea curse rained down upon them.

16 Likes

Sheilah - I am so sorry that this happened to you. Jingling for your speedy recovery and also wishing the Diarrhea curse upon this seller. Too bad - he was cute, but you just never know. I hope you and your friend can find something that restores your faith and love for horses.

4 Likes

I was scammed. In hindsight the signs were there. 1. never ride a trial horse that is already saddled up when you get to the barn. Ask them to bring the horse in untacked. Arrive at least an hour early to try a potential horse in case they were out running the horse around. Run your hand all over the horses body to check for injections I know a trainer that does this and finds needle marks often, he walks away. If you ride a couple times and decide the horse is a go, have blood drawn at PPE. Have the sale contingent on blood being free of drugs. The horse sounds like he may have kissing spine. Going forward I would add back xrays to any ppe. I kept my bat crazy horse and 7 long years later he is almost normal. And I ride him 5 days a week and most people can’t tell what his former bad self was lol. Now keep him in a stall with no turnout and the monster comes back after just a few days. He always goes out. He did put me in the hospital, and if I had to do it again, I would not. But he is with me for life . And everyone I know who has bought a horse was lied to in some way, some worse than others. Also some difficult horses only bond with a few people. But his issues sound pain related or another physical issue. My horse prefers men, I am not a man. But I did keep him, so hopefully he realizes how lucky he still is!

5 Likes

What a complete piece of excrement that seller is. I’m sorry, and hope you heal up quick.

2 Likes