Brain surgery is OVER! Update w/interesting surgical report notes #159

January 13 will be my start of a new year, and hopefully, new life. I’ve heard many promising stories about decompression surgery for Chiari malformation, but of course, this is my skull, my brain, my body, my life, and I’m understandably anxious. At the same time, the headaches are getting more severe and more frequent, and I welcome the opportunity for relief. The surgeon cannot guarantee relief from any of my other many neurological symptoms, but if all it helps is the headaches, that in and of itself is a huge success.

I’ve had to go through a long, difficult battle just getting a diagnosis and being listened to–typical of Chiari, I’ve found–and as a result I sought the expertise of one of the current world experts on the condition. He will be the one doing my surgery, despite the fact he’s in New York and I’m in Southern California, heh. We fly out to NY on Friday.

I still struggle to enjoy my horses, though the holidays were so busy I rarely had time or energy. The other day I didn’t have it in me to do much more than sit in a chair and let them out to graze on the property. Watching my Arab play with my friend’s now-31yro OTTB (I have her permission to let him out when I let out mine) is a hoot–and heck, even my lazy mini got in on the action. When my days are bad, I take a lot of photos and video so I can enjoy them later, remembering what it’s like to be in their presence. I still get my horsey therapy then, even when I’m not physically with them.

Here are a few photos from the other day:
My gelding LOVES goofing off with the TB
Typical–the mini is leading the way
Just as she’s leading the way here, too, heh
But try as she might, my Arab’s legs are longer than hers
Doesn’t stop her from cheating and cutting corners so she can be ahead of him again

I’ll keep you all updated as the day nears and will edit and update this post. My blog (linked in my signature) also has some info on my condition, the surgery, and a link to a GoFundMe page that I regularly update with the latest in this saga.

Here’s to a New Year, indeed!

You’ll do great!

Good luck with the surgery. You will feel much better. Thanks for
the cute horsey pictures!

Best of luck with the surgery–sure hope it brings huge relief.

Loved the pics, by the way!

Rebecca

We’re all pulling for you!

You’re going to do great! As you know, same doc just did my 3rd surgery related to chiari and you’re going to love him. The hospital is fabulous, nurses are all top notch, you couldn’t be in better hands. My prayers are with you for a wonderful and successful surgery and no more headaches!!!

Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery to you, I will keep you in thought and prayer. Not sure what Chiari is, but going to google it and find out.

Wishing you a speedy recovery ! I’ll be thinking of you.

Best of Luck!

Jingling and waving rubber snakes! :yes:

I wish you luck although I know you don’t need it. Happy New Year, New You!

Lots of jingles for a good surgery and fast healing.

P.

My best friend (of 25 yrs) had brain surgery last year. The waiting was the worst part, according to her (long months for appointments, tests, getting all the docs together, etc). The actual surgery & hospital time was not fun, but she says it was at least OVER.

She is on the other side of it now, free of seizures & other complications that she has had for years.

jinlgles for great results & quick trip out of hospital & back home! Keep focused on happy thoughts while you are in there, You will be back with your horses before you know it!

Best of luck to you!!!

Just found this, and as your official “Stalker of Lauruffian’s Adorable Children and Animals” I am jingling like mad from WA! Prayers, positive thoughts, and crazy snake dances coming your way. Keep us posted. I know you will come out on the other side so much better.

Best of luck and hope you will be back enjoying your horses soon. Great pictures!

Is it bad that I saw the thread title and at first thought someone was getting a colt gelded?

Best of luck to you, OP!

Mara…:lol:.

Jingling for a smooth procedure and getting your life back.

Susan

Wishing you safe travels, smooth sailing during surgery and recovery, and a wonderful outcome. As Bristol Bay said, we’re all pulling for you.

I can’t wait to hear the update after the surgery! Best of luck, best wishes, and hoping for a quick and easy recovery!

Good luck with everything!