Unlimited access >

Brazilian Dressage Rider Gets 3 Year Ban For Abuse

Private clubs can enforce standards of behaviour even outside their club. The rider is the one being tyrannical over a little pony. The club (FEI) is well within their powers to declare that behaviour not in keeping with their club’s standards and banning him from membership.

(Similar to trainers who killed horses for insurance money, or trainers who sexually assaulted people).

I know I don’t want to compete against people who use horrific training practices, and I don’t think this is the image we want our sport to have.

15 Likes

No, it is not. Must organizations have codes of conduct to which members agree when they join. If they violate that code it is entirely within the organization’s right to ban or suspend their membership. And in this case let’s remember we are talking about criminal activity. Animal abuse is illegal.

20 Likes

So it would be perfectly ok for all of the Olympic riders to abuse horses and other animals on their own time at their own property, and we should all ignore that even when they film and post it? What if that rotational fall resulted in that pony’s death while they all laughed? Abusing animals is not some unalienable right that’s being infringed on here, it’s disgusting behavior that deserves at least expulsion from a private club, and depending on where this occurred, prosecution.

17 Likes

Wow!? Are you for real. This so called Olympic level rider was acting like a child throwing a temper tantrum but doing a lot more damage. His national federation should have been handing his a$$ to him before the FEI had a chance.

16 Likes

Most NFs have no jurisdiction out of competition, unless the person in question has been convicted of a crime.The FEI does. His NF had no jurisdiction, that’s why the FEI was involved.
The FEI can drug test riders as well, at any time in, or outside of competition. If you don’t like the rules you don’t have to belong to the club.

14 Likes

What an odd position. Did you watch the videos of that tiny pony being abused ? But MA RIGHTZ. Jesus

17 Likes

It sure is! Why don’t you message him and suggest he renouce his membership to this horrible, tyrannical organization and go away? That’ll teach them to be so bossy!

7 Likes

what did Marylin Little do that was abusive!?

So you’d be ok with someone kicking puppies around in their own backyard as well?

I signed that petition months ago and I am very, very happy about the results…although I think he deserves to eat a bit more shit for what he did, but it’s a start.

8 Likes

So do you say the same thing about football players getting suspensions and fines for smoking weed in the off-season? It’s tyranny?

2 Likes

It’s in football players contracts that they sign in order to make the $$. No one forces them to work for the NFL.

I’m assuming it’s the same with FEI, if you want to be a member and play at our sandbox, you have to abide by this subset of rules.

2 Likes

I think a better comparison would be the NFL players beating their girlfriends…

7 Likes

Animal abuse is a CRIMINAL offense in most civilized places. That being so, with recorded evidence - WHY THE HELL IS HE NOT ARRESTED, IMPRISONED AND PROSECUTED??? WHY is it that animal abuse, despite it being illegal and a criminal offense, rarely gets the offender arrested or prosecuted or more than a slap on the wrist? Why are crimes selectively prosecuted? These voiceless victims deserve justice and being removed to safety! We need more animal advocates and activists all over the world. The abuses are horrific!

11 Likes

Well yeah, that too. I was just using a common rule that gets broken for an example.

Unfortunately it’s not a criminal offense in many areas. In some places, while illegal (keep in mind I’m not an attorney) there is no actual penalty stated. We have better “teeth” behind the abuse/neglect laws for some animals in Illinois. For horses this is mostly due to the relentless effort of a wonderful women from Woodstock, Illinois.

Yes, Yes, Yes! I’m guilty of not working harder. I need to develop a spine and step up.

1 Like

He’s in Brazil at his farm in that video… Not sure what the law allows there, or what is considered animal cruelty.

1 Like

This makes me shudder to think of what goes on with your privately owned animals on your private property.

13 Likes

He should have been banned for life. Period. That man has no business around any animals, let alone training them for a living.

8 Likes

It was immediately not private when it was knowingly and willingly recorded and made public…again, makes one wonder about what is happening when they don’t think it’s ‘funny’ enough to record.

6 Likes

While I have been disconnected from the eventing world for quite some time, I had seen some mentions of ML here and in other places and had the same curiosity, so I looked her up to see what was going on. In part, her horsemanship on the XC course is not pleasant to watch. There is a widely spread picture of her mare’s flash noseband ridiculously tight during dressage, and most disturbing is probably the amount of times her horse has come off the XC course with a bloodied mouth that has somehow always been overlooked/brushed off for one reason or another(that groom is real quick with her red towel!). You can google her. You’ll find all sorts of fun.

Sadly, her horse is brilliant and she throws down some of the most superb dressage tests - as in the best score of the K3D this year. So, she keeps on being up in the contenders and getting a spotlight that may not be the best thing for her.

1 Like