Breast Reduction in NoVA

I had my first consult today with Dr Heppe in Fredericksburg, VA. Anyone know him? He would take 900g out of one and 800g out of the other to get me down to a C cup. Oh so exciting! They do the surgery in their own surgical suites with IV sedation. No drainage tube. Scar around nipple and down to underneath breast with scar underneath as well. He can even suck out a lipoma I have in my armpit. 2.5 hr surgery. Released the same day and back next day to be checked then home and back for follow up in a week. He says I could be back riding in 2 weeks. Does this all sound right to you guys who’ve had it done?

I see Dr Hess in Fairfax next week for a second opinion. Thanks in advance for info and advice. Will have to throw a big goodbye to the girls party.

Took me 6+ weeks to be comfortable enough for any major activity that would cause…uh…jiggles.

Best thing I ever did though. Sounds like you’ll get the same procedure I did, though I had drains overnight before I went home.

I live across the street from him.

I had mine done in C’ville by Dr Gamper. He said no major activity for 6 weeks, …also took about 5 hours

It is pretty intricate surgery. Mine took 5 hrs–reduction and lift. The nipples (at least mine were) are completely relocated. Oh still on the breast:lol:. Now they are perky and not pointing at the ground:yes:. They have to be sure the nerves are not compromised to maintain feeling and sensitivity. Maybe part of my surgery was the anesthesia (I had general). My doctor didn’t really care about me riding. She didn’t want me leading my horse to risk the possibility of having my arm majorly jerked if horsey decided to act up as that would disrupt the scars. I think I waited 6 weeks and even then, the first couple of rides were a bit dicey and I for sure used my binder.

I suppose someone can do it in that length of time but those are flying fingers! Also, probably there are newer techniques. Mine was done 6 years ago. I just had my right hip replaced and was driving at 10 days and on my horse in 4 1/2 weeks. New technique…it is:cool:

Susan

Back to riding in two weeks? No, no, no. At least six weeks and the longer you wait the better. There is a lot of internal healing to take place and it takes a long time to occur. Riding after two weeks would be a recipe for disaster. You don’t want to rip open your incisions and you don’t want to stress your scars and cause them to widen or get ugly.

Two so and a half hours sounds really fast but I’m not a surgeon.

I had a unilateral reduction last October. It was at least a 2 hour surgery for one breast. I went home that day with a drain which was removed the next day. Riding in 2 weeks??? No way Ray. My breast was still swollen and SORE and I was in a compression bra for 2 months. I was given clearance to ride 12 weeks later, but only at a walk and someone had to tack up the horse. You cannot stretch the muscles and tissue until everything is internally healed which takes quite a bit longer than people believe.

I have no opinion on drains. My surgeon always uses drains. I think drains promote healing by keeping that fluid out of the surgical area. It’s kinda gross when you look at it so don’t look at it (if you end up with a drain).

I had only my left breast reduced (had a partial mastectomy on the right so I wanted things even) on a Tuesday. I was not allowed to drive until Monday. Do not push recovery.

Best of luck. I’m so happy, I told the doctor now I feel “normal.”

Thanks all very interesting. I will go for the consult with Dr Hess and see what he says. I’m up in Canada right now as my dad had a stroke so everything is on hold for now. Appreciate the thoughts and experiences.

I had mine done in 2000, in conjunction with a rebuild from prophylactic surgery of my milk glands.

I got on 2 weeks later wearing the She-Ra princess of power corset/body shield/bra. Light stuff, nothing fancy.

As soon as stitches and drains and swelling etc all looked good (1 month total for all), I was almost all the way back to normal riding.

My boobs still look terrific ; )

I’ve been doing some research and evidently some surgeons do not use drains except for large reductions. The surgeon I saw planned to take 900cc from my right breast and 800cc from the left so maybe that is not considered a lot. It’s a lot for me. I plan to get another consult but as life would have it I’ve been delayed. My dad had a stroke so I’m up in Canada for the next month until he is back home and into a routine. I’m open to recommendations of any surgeons in DC area. Thanks

Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he’s doing OK.

I had a similar amount removed and had no drains. I had great results. I quizzed the surgeon about why he doesn’t use drains and he said he’d stopped using them long ago and had no complications due to the lack of drains. I drank a lot of water for many weeks after surgery to help flush out the anesthesia and other drugs and to help the excess fluid (swelling). It seemed to help. I also used lemon juice in my water and it seemed to help to. I also made sure to take short walks around the inside of the house every few hours in the week after surgery, when I was not yet very mobile. I think that helped to keep some swelling down. You’ll also want to sleep at an angle for a while after surgery (with your upper body and head on a wedge pillow or a pile of regular pillows). That helps to keep things draining down and away. Some women swear that sleeping in a recliner is. The best thing goes while after surgery.

As as far as getting on your horse too soon after surgery, think about it. Your breasts will have been sliced open and splayed apart and put back together again. There is massive healing involved. As we know, even a saint of a horse can have his moments, and if you fall from 7 feet up and hit the ground, you could undo some of the lovely work your surgeon has done. Horse women are tough and many like to talk about how they ignored doctor’s orders or returned to activity sooner than advised. Why risk it in this case and ruin surgery you’ve Prius lay waited a long time to have.

Definitely have consultations with as many surgeons as you need to to find the right surgeon for you. You not only want a surgeon who will answer all your questions, do a great job, and give you the results you want, you want a surgeon who will be there for you after surgery in the rare case where you have a complication that requires extended treatment.

By the way - the vast majority of women that have this surgery are thrilled with their results but the most common complaint seems to be that they’ve been left too large. Make sure you clearly communicate your desired outcome to the surgeon and make sure he or she listens to you and says your desired outcome is achievable.

[QUOTE=ThreeHorseNight;8169576]
Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he’s doing OK.

I had a similar amount removed and had no drains. I had great results. I quizzed the surgeon about why he doesn’t use drains and he said he’d stopped using them long ago and had no complications due to the lack of drains. I drank a lot of water for many weeks after surgery to help flush out the anesthesia and other drugs and to help the excess fluid (swelling). It seemed to help. I also used lemon juice in my water and it seemed to help to. I also made sure to take short walks around the inside of the house every few hours in the week after surgery, when I was not yet very mobile. I think that helped to keep some swelling down. You’ll also want to sleep at an angle for a while after surgery (with your upper body and head on a wedge pillow or a pile of regular pillows). That helps to keep things draining down and away. Some women swear that sleeping in a recliner is. The best thing goes while after surgery.

As as far as getting on your horse too soon after surgery, think about it. Your breasts will have been sliced open and splayed apart and put back together again. There is massive healing involved. As we know, even a saint of a horse can have his moments, and if you fall from 7 feet up and hit the ground, you could undo some of the lovely work your surgeon has done. Horse women are tough and many like to talk about how they ignored doctor’s orders or returned to activity sooner than advised. Why risk it in this case and ruin surgery you’ve Prius lay waited a long time to have.

By the way - the vast majority of women that have this surgery are thrilled with their results but the most common complaint seems to be that they’ve been left too large. Make sure you clearly communicate your desired outcome to the surgeon and make sure he or she listens to you and says your desired outcome is achievable.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I think his thought that I could ride two weeks after surgery comes from ignorance. I have spine surgery last year and let’s face it most doctors don’t know how much of a contact sport riding can be especially falling off. The surgeon I saw said he would get me down to a C and that was really as small as he could do.

My dad is doing well. Thank you for your kind thoughts. He is at home with us this weekend on a pass and will go back in for more inpatient rehab on Sunday night. We are thrilled he is recovering well. Probably July until I can have surgery now. Dads health comes first.

Well I finally got home from Canada after my dad made a sensational recovery from his stroke. Yay. I went for my consult with Dr Hess in Fairfax this week and I scheduled my surgery for July 16th conveniently after HITS Culpeper.

Dr. Hess’ breast reduction technique is based on a superomedial tissue pedicle. With this technique, tissue is removed from the inferior and lateral parts of the breast.

Did anyone else have this technique?

My surgery will be about 3.5 hrs long + recovery and my best friend will drive me home that day with drains. I’ll be able to drive myself back for follow up and drain removal 4 or 5 days post-op.

I haven’t asked about riding as I figured at least 6 wks off but will see as I go to follow ups. I liked Dr Hess more than my other consult doc as he seemed more conservative. Wants to make sure I have healthy breasts and good blood supply post op and he performs his surgeries in a hospital outpatient surgery center with board certified anesthesiologists. He said he would take as much tissue as he could safely but didn’t think he could get me down to a C which is fine.

He said 800g of tissue to be removed but I wasn’t clear if that was per breast or total. I’m about a 36FF now and I guess I’ll be a 36C/D after.

Does this all sound consistent with what others have had done?

I would only have my surgery done at a hospital (or an outpatient clinic next door to a hospital) with a certified plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Make sure you have someone to spend at least the first night with you. I had my surgery on a Tuesday and my sister stayed with me til Friday. I had my first shower Thursday night and she wanted to make sure I didn’t pass out in the shower. Be prepared to do a LOT of resting. Do NOT try to rush recovery.

800 grams is about a pound and half (454 grams to a pound). That could be each breast.

Oh, and get a good compression bra for after the surgery.

I’m getting very excited for my surgery. Preop appt on July 7th then surgery July 16th. I’m riding like a crazy woman so I can cope with the 6 weeks off. If you see anyone eating little boob cupcakes at HITS Culpeper next week it’s my fault. Gotta celebrate a goodbye to the girls. LOL

[QUOTE=equisusan;8215471]
I’m getting very excited for my surgery. Preop appt on July 7th then surgery July 16th. I’m riding like a crazy woman so I can cope with the 6 weeks off. If you see anyone eating little boob cupcakes at HITS Culpeper next week it’s my fault. Gotta celebrate a goodbye to the girls. LOL[/QUOTE]

Good luck! I’m about one month out from mine, and super happy. Mine took five and a half hours. I needed help, and lots of it, for about the first week. I had an endometriosis excision the week after, lol, so part of me needing help that week was the excision. I was back at work 2 weeks exactly from the reduction (6 days from the endo). 2 weeks until I can ride! And do NOT be shy with ice or painkillers. Seriously, they make a world of difference. I had better than 1000 grams removed from each boob. Driving? I wouldn’t count on it in the first week at least. What made my life infinitely easier? Bringing a pillow so the seatbelt didn’t lie across my boobs on the drive home, or at all for the first week and a half. It cushioned things out and was a lot more comfy.

Thanks all for the experiences and advice. I’m super excited.

[QUOTE=equisusan;8215789]
Thanks all for the experiences and advice. I’m super excited.[/QUOTE]

It’s the best feeling in the world :smiley: I’m so excited for you! I think I cried out of happiness 8 times that first week. I promise, it’s all worth it :smiley:

Yayyyy

Had my preop appointment today. He plans to take between 800–1000 g per breast. I told him I love him. Ha ha. Over the moon excited.

[QUOTE=equisusan;8219177]
Had my preop appointment today. He plans to take between 800–1000 g per breast. I told him I love him. Ha ha. Over the moon excited.[/QUOTE]

I’m so ridiculously excited for you :smiley: