Breast Reduction in NoVA

Me too. Giddy. 8 more days to ride before surgery…
Thank you MyssMyst

I had my reduction (just one side) done the end of October, and a few days ago I realized that while the scars are there, they are barely noticeable.

New boobs!!! Had my surgery today. WooHoo! They are amazing already. Thank you for everyone’s support. Bring on the button up shirts and new riding jackets… yay.

Yay, good for you!! Best thing I ever did for myself, about 6 years ago. Mine was a reduction, with the lift. They took off over 5 lbs. Cut armpit to armpit, but it was worth it! That being said - I wasn’t up for trotting or posting for about 3 months. Good lucky with your recovery! It’s lovely being able to buy bras at the store, and wearing button up shirts.

[QUOTE=Anon40something;8232378]
Yay, good for you!! Best thing I ever did for myself, about 6 years ago. Mine was a reduction, with the lift. They took off over 5 lbs. Cut armpit to armpit, but it was worth it! That being said - I wasn’t up for trotting or posting for about 3 months. Good lucky with your recovery! It’s lovely being able to buy bras at the store, and wearing button up shirts.[/QUOTE]

Sounds similar to mine. About 5lbs off. I know it’s at least 6 wks until I can ride but I’ll listen to my body. Are you still perky 6 yrs later?

I’m so excited for you and your new boobs!

6 week mark is Monday… I’m thinking of riding the saintly pony tomorrow…

[QUOTE=MyssMyst;8234402]
I’m so excited for you and your new boobs!

6 week mark is Monday… I’m thinking of riding the saintly pony tomorrow…[/QUOTE]

Oh good luck. Let me know how it goes. I hope everything heals along well for me. Seen a few too many yucky wound issues on facebook today. Yikes! Looking straight ahead and thinking positive thoughts.

I’ve always been curious - why is there a limit to how much they can take? Equisusan, going down to a C cup sounds very reasonable, and you’ve said you’re thrilled. (5 pounds less for your shoulders to support - wow!) But someone above said some people are disappointed that they were still too large. Technical reasons?

And congratulations to all of you!

PS - I could google for the answer, but I’m afraid of what would start showing up on my computer.

Going to be having a unilateral reduction and bilateral lift at the end of august here. I’m extremely excited to be having this done- very uneven tatas are one of the common joys of having scolisis. My back got fixed but I still did not like how I looked. Have lived for it for almost 12 years and have decided I cannot come to terms with it. One side is a big A/Small B and the larger side is a small D cup. I dont’ like the jiggles and extra weight so instead of augmentation to even it up, I am doing away with the big one. So doing a lift on both sides to give the doctor the most flexibility to get good symmetry, and reducing and lifting the other to match the smaller side… I’m looking forward to being able to actually buy bras that FIT. I have been splitting the difference between the two as best I can as I HATED using those damn sweaty nightmare silicone fake ones… but the one side bigger means I am ALWAYS losing my bra strap off that shoulder. And trying to find correct alignments visually in yoga class… Fuhgettaboutit… I tore my shoulder and ribs up big time last year by making things symmetrical from my viewpoint…

Right now I have no concern about riding- my horse isn’t weaned yet. But I train dogs for a living and have it worked out where my business partner is going to handle anything that wants to be a major puller or require a hard correcton… I will take the stuff that is working toward off leash work, etc… I’vve been told my recovery should be a total breeze compared to the two other major surgeries i’ve had (spinal fusion and abdominal trauma thanks to a very nasty broodmare that gavve me a week long stay in ICU) Getting more details at my preop appointment on August 3.

[QUOTE=m&m;8234601]
I’ve always been curious - why is there a limit to how much they can take? Equisusan, going down to a C cup sounds very reasonable, and you’ve said you’re thrilled. (5 pounds less for your shoulders to support - wow!) But someone above said some people are disappointed that they were still too large. Technical reasons?

And congratulations to all of you![/QUOTE]

My understanding is that it is all about preserving a healthy breast with good blood flow. My surgeon told me that a lot of people’s breasts have a high percent of fat but mine are low fat and mostly dense breast tissue. I think this is why they can’t really tell you what size you are going to be ahead of time. He said he would take as much as he could safely take and he guessed that would be between 800-1000g per breast. I have my first follow up tomorrow so I’ll get to see my frankenboobs and hopefully get the drains out and maybe even find out how much he took.

I’d rather have a surgeon who is a little conservative to ensure I have healthy breasts than someone who aggressively takes too much. My surgeon’s method of using a superomedial tissue pedicle is supposed to allow him to take more than the traditional method so we’ll see.

They look perky from what I can see. First couple of days were fine but then I tried to cut out the pain meds today and I think it was a little premature. Made myself miserable. Ended up taking one narcotic as well as my ibuprofen today which is still better than the 3xday pain meds I took Friday and Saturday.

My upper abdomen is retaining fluid so that looks weird but my drainage has definitely changed color from red red to more yellowish red and decreased in volume. Fingers crossed all is well tomorrow.

Got drains out and all dressings removed. Everything is great. 4 days post op. Bought a couple of zip front cotton sports bras on the way home. Looking forward to a nice shower. It is weird and wonderful to make such a change.

Like I told MyssMyst, it only gets better and better. :smiley:

Don’t push too much too soon. The more time you take to let them fully heal, the better they will be!

Welcome to the club lol!

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=FourFaults;8237008]
Like I told MyssMyst, it only gets better and better. :smiley:

Don’t push too much too soon. The more time you take to let them fully heal, the better they will be!

Welcome to the club lol![/QUOTE]

Thank you. I’m being good. I definitely don’t want to have a bad outcome. Exciting.

Thank you for the explanation, Equisusan. Enjoy your shower!!!

[QUOTE=m&m;8234601]

And congratulations to all of you![/QUOTE]

The way my surgeon explained it is that if they take too much, they risk compromising the blood flow, which results in more complications.

And yeah, my upper abdomen swelled a lot! Nobody warned me about that part, lol.

Rode for the first time this week, and I think I looked like a total idiot trying to post. And suddenly, my back actually can MOVE with the horse. That’s what that is supposed to feel like! Balance is super wonky, and whoever said sore abs was definitely right, but overall it’s much easier.

[QUOTE=MyssMyst;8247039]
The way my surgeon explained it is that if they take too much, they risk compromising the blood flow, which results in more complications.

And yeah, my upper abdomen swelled a lot! Nobody warned me about that part, lol.

Rode for the first time this week, and I think I looked like a total idiot trying to post. And suddenly, my back actually can MOVE with the horse. That’s what that is supposed to feel like! Balance is super wonky, and whoever said sore abs was definitely right, but overall it’s much easier.[/QUOTE]

How many weeks post op are you? I’m hanging out healing. 12 days postop.

[QUOTE=equisusan;8247663]
How many weeks post op are you? I’m hanging out healing. 12 days postop.[/QUOTE]

I’m at 7 weeks post-op now.

[QUOTE=MyssMyst;8249024]
I’m at 7 weeks post-op now.[/QUOTE]

I can’t wait until that 6 wk mark to get back on. My plastic surgeon thinks I can get back on now with a high impact sports bra but I know they just don’t understand riding. I should just say I play football. Lol

[QUOTE=equisusan;8250253]
I can’t wait until that 6 wk mark to get back on. My plastic surgeon thinks I can get back on now with a high impact sports bra but I know they just don’t understand riding. I should just say I play football. Lol[/QUOTE]

You know, a high impact bra wasn’t even comfy until about 6 weeks, lol.

I finally slept on my side last night, and I’m dying of happiness :smiley: