Breast Reduction

I interested to hear how big was considered big enough for surgery to be paid for by insurance. I have wanted to get a reduction for years, basically ever since I hit puberty. I do have neck and shoulder pain and have done PT for it, but it was always ruled as being from swimming competitively, not from my large chest.

I am at the point where I am only comfortable if I wear a regular bra and then a sports bra over it. I hate going to the beach because it means a day of my boobs having no support. :frowning:

[QUOTE=carolprudm;5917871]
Ask about PT and massage therapy for your back and shoulders and try to get a female PT[/QUOTE]

I have massage therapy and chiropractic work scheduled.

For those that want info on insurance stuff: You have to find the specifics on your policy. Asking others for help is pointless unless you actually know what your policy requires. You can try searching your insurance company and breast reduction and might find it online. Unfortunately, many of them are now making it a “specific exclusion” like mine did. I would had to have breast cancer for them to pay for it. The reason, or so one of the surgeons I talked to said, is that so many large women try to get it done for their “pain” when the pain comes from being overweight. BR doesn’t fix that problem. Those of us that aren’t are screwed by this. I was a picture perfect candidate for insurance to pay: not fat, large chest, various problems exacerbated/caused by it including asthma, thoracic outlet, and neck/shoulder problems. I’ve done chiro and massage for nine years, PT various times in there. Yet still it was a no. It all comes down to your insurance and you have to jump through their hoops. Chances are, if you are truly eligible, you’ve jumped some of them already so find out what the rest are.

It was the silver lining for me when I had breast cancer. Couldn’t believe it when the plastic surgeon said she was sorry but she’d have to reduce the other side to match the implant. Now I have perky ones and go braless 24/7.

1 Like

FWIW I felt so great after mine that I lost 30 lbs and was able to cut way back on my BP meds. So in addition to reducing my discomfort I was able to improve my general health

I realize that insurance varies greatly (I’m very thankfully double insured by two AWESOME policies, so it covers almost everything 100%) but… medically is there a “point” size-wise for docs to recommend a reduction? I’m a full DD, and I’d love to have one. I realize that’s nothing compared to some ladies out there, but…

No it all depends on the individual. You need your Dr. behind you on this, you have to document pain (neck, back or shoulder pain or all 3!), things you can’t do normally or at all (like the double bra thing). Most of the time it is not that hard IF the need is apparent. Mine sure was and even after losing weight (since regained, sigh) I did not lose ANY in the breast area. And I lost 50 lbs!! Problem is when you gain weight the fat increases estrogen production which in some people (us) causes the breasts to just grow and grow and grow. BUT losing weight (barring becoming anorexic) does not reverse the trend in those of us with that problem.

Now for other people their breast size will increase and decrease with weight gain or loss. For these people just losing weight will probably be enough.

(still perky after 5 years!!)

Add me to the “best thing I’ve done” group. Mine was six years ago, and despite going on to breastfeed two children, they still look nice.

It used to be you had to hit one of three criteria: you had to be at least a DD, you had to have strap dents, or they’d have to take away at least 16 oz per breast. YMMV.

All the gals on my mom’s side of the family back to my great-great grandmother were graced with ample bosoms, and most in my mom’s generation and mine have had reductions.

Best thing I ever did. Didn’t hurt at all.

I wouldn’t do it again. I fit all the criteria. there was a max they’d take off. (in my case they took off 4.8 and 5.1 lbs, which is very unusual, average is 16-32oz the doctor said), and in my case I can’t do it again. I have very dense breasts (mostly tissue) so losing/gaining weight thankfully doesn’t increase/decrease my cup size.

WOW…I guess the grass really IS greener on the other side. Those that HAVE 'em, don’t want 'em…Those that DON’T have 'em, go out and buy 'em. Go Figure!!!

[QUOTE=HoofaSchmigetty;5957444]
WOW…I guess the grass really IS greener on the other side. Those that HAVE 'em, don’t want 'em…Those that DON’T have 'em, go out and buy 'em. Go Figure!!![/QUOTE]

I have always found that to be true! Wouldn’t it be nice if we could just trade any “extra size” around to those who want it? I would be glad to donate, get down to a B so fast their head would spin!!

[QUOTE=Coreene;5957292]
It used to be you had to hit one of three criteria: you had to be at least a DD, you had to have strap dents, or they’d have to take away at least 16 oz per breast. YMMV.

All the gals on my mom’s side of the family back to my great-great grandmother were graced with ample bosoms, and most in my mom’s generation and mine have had reductions.

Best thing I ever did. Didn’t hurt at all.[/QUOTE]
When I was paying medical claims the criteria for the insurance company I worked for was similar to what Coreene posted.
Anticipated removal of approximately 500 grams (1.1 lbs) per side. Documented history of back or shoulder pain or strap dents/shoulder creases. Patient could be overweight but not obese or morbidly obese.

[QUOTE=Equibrit;5931667]
It was the silver lining for me when I had breast cancer. Couldn’t believe it when the plastic surgeon said she was sorry but she’d have to reduce the other side to match the implant. Now I have perky ones and go braless 24/7.[/QUOTE]

WOO HOO :yes: for you on two fronts: breast cancer survivor and perky ta tas :eek:

Bumping this up as a general info thread since so many are interested and wondering how the OP is doing? Still doing well and happy with it?

Saw the post in off course and came over here. I am a D and would love something smaller. I wear 2 bra’s to ride or do any athletic activity. I have so much neck and shoulder pain, migraines and daily headaches.

read the first post then skipped down to respond - I had a reduction 6 six years ago (I am only 26) and it was the best decision I have ever made. I am not a heavy girl but I was VERY chesty (surgeon actually hesitated to do the surgery because apparently I “have what guys want” - not a nice guy). Anyway, makes like sooo much easier and I haven’t regretted it once. Good luck!

I also saw this bumped up and January 2004 I had a reduction. I went from a 38E to a large B/small C! It will be 8 years this coming January and it is the BEST thing I ever did for myself and especially for my riding.

Insurance covers the surgery in its entirety when you have a certain amount of grams taken off. 250 or 300g is the minimum; I had way over that and ended up having 4 lbs of boobs taken off my chest. I immediately looked like I lost 40 lbs. Once I got back in the saddle I was able to actually put my shoulders back and stick out my chest without fear of hitting myself in the face!

My breasts did “grow” back a bit because I had the surgery as a 19 y/o (deemed a medical emergency, seriously). But they are no where near as big as they once were, though depending on the bra I may wear the same cup size. I always, always encourage women who are thinking about it to just go for a consultation and at least explore it.

The only downside to my surgery was I may not be able to breastfeed because of who they did the reduction. But the results are still incredible, and I am so happy I did it.

If anyone would like to talk more in depth about it, please don’t hesitate to PM me. And if you are in the Boston area, my surgeon is still performing surgeries and I will gladly give you his name.

I have an appt. on the 13th to see about getting a reduction. I was in an accident in 2003 and the weight really causes a lot of pain to my neck and back. In fact, I haven’t ridden in a long time b/c of these boobs. I’m hoping to go down several cup sizes.

I hear you, kathy … I wore 3 sports bras to ride (regular sports bra, a racer back, and a minimizer–I sometimes had trouble breathing in them). it is such a freeing feeling!