Unlimited access >

Breeders Cup 2022 - Keeneland

Something really bothers them, and it seems as if there was an issue last time after the Vet’s scratch.

“Last fall, the colt was scratched by the Breeders’ Cup veterinarians ahead of last year’s Juvenile, and later underwent surgery to insert a screw in his left shin.”

I wonder how long after the scratch he had the surgery. As we know radiographs don’t show everything. It would be better if he’d had a full body bone scan as well, but perhaps that is difficult to do on a horse that is racing, due to the meds required?

Don’t forget Life is Good. That race is going to be one for the ages as long as everyone comes home safe, and they get the right trip.

1 Like

This a such a great year, so many great horses coming to the BC.

I’m not a fan of Rich Strike’s trainer or Jockey so won’t be hoping for him.

1 Like

I missed this!

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/263412/flightlines-pacific-classic-prompts-the-queen-to-call?utm_source=BHTW&utm_medium=social

Paddock schooling for Flightline, Jackie’s Warrior, Gunite etc…

Does anyone know how tall Flightline is? Seems tall, or has a very short handler.

1 Like

He likes to Tr-anter when he starts his works. Whether that is intentional or not by the team to mask something; I have no idea. The one work I reviewed; he went from a halt, was extremely reluctant to go to work, started trantering, then went into a slow gallop a few minutes later.

I am assuming he is noticeably unsound at the trot before the vets and its noticeable enough and concerning enough to the vets to scratch him. They did so last year… and then he underwent surgery on a shin.

I really like the horse; think it is unfortunate. But I am surprised that a horse is allowed to continue to train in this manner despite significant enough vet concerns that they are saying they are going to vet-scratch him well in advance of game day. He is unsound enough to scratch from the race but it’s ok for him to continue training hard in front of all the fans ? Doesn’t add up to me.

Looks like I will be sitting in the trackside chalet just past the quarter pole to the grandstand side (with extreme thanks to my host!!) - not a great live view of the finish but I am just thrilled to be there! I will do some exploring on the Friday when it will not be as crowded and will be there before post time for the first race… I am sure there will be little to no chance of getting around easily on Saturday.

SO excited!! Many years ago when I was still in Canada, a friend who had racing TBs and QHs invited me to go to Breeders Cup at Woodbine with them. I was over the moon!! And then - a month out, flights to Toronto booked, hotel rooms reserved… they decided to divorce and everything was cancelled. Well… pooh. I did not get to see the unconquerable, invincible, unbeatable Cigar in the Classic… even though he finished third by a neck in the Classic behind Alphabet Soup. :pensive:

NO chance of this one being cancelled on me - I just need to pick up my trackside ticket at Will Call on Friday morning and I am all set!

Pinch me! I fly out of Seattle at 7 am on Thursday morning! :star_struck:

Too many exclamation points!!! :laughing:

13 Likes

See you there! :wave: We fly in Thursday. Unfortunately, I don’t have passes for Friday, but will be going to Lane’s End and Woodford Reserve instead.

2 Likes
2 Likes

@Tha_Ridge and @smoofox I’m happy for you both! No such thing as too many exclamation points in this situation!!!

Keep us posted!

Did you offer to pay for a marriage counselor? Tell them you really believed that they were meant for each other?

2 Likes

Ooooh… Lane’s End. Say hi to Zenyatta for me… :heart_eyes: … I do not think I will get there.

2 Likes

I rarely agree with this poster but…how are this horse’s connections so afraid of a(nother) pre race scratch by track vets that they scratched him early when they have sent him to the post at other tracks this season??? I don’t get it. What am I missing? They want to avoid a breakdown in the BC but don’t care so much about breaking down at lesser venues?

Far as that super sucked back trantor (worthy of a Western Pleasure round) by a highly tuned race horse, Sprinter yet, refusing to go forward? Any of mine did that, they tuned out to have soundness issues, even if they “ always” acted like that. And they weren’t doing anything more strenuous then looking pretty over 3’ Hunter courses maybe once a month in front of deserted stands.

Enlighten me.

That’s awesome. There is nothing wrong with being in Lexington for another day.

I think they know that he’ll be scratched by the BC vets and that it will become a big deal to the commentators (again) on a widely televised racing day. They know a vet scratch makes them, and racing, look bad.

I still think they should do more diagnostics than just rads, if they haven’t already.

1 Like

Is everyone all-in on the Flightline bandwagon?
I am not so sure that I am. Don’t get me wrong; the Pacific Classic was impressive beyond words; history making. But he only has two starts this year: Pacific Class and the Met Handicap . Both races had weak fields and the Met he only faced four other rivals. His gallop this morning was a bit rank. Looks great, raring to go.

Looking at the others in the field for the Classic who have faced much stiffer competition over the course of 2022; I am reluctant to agree that Flightline is the next coming of Secretariat. I see other horses in the field with much greater resumes as well.

Hot Rod Charlie always shows up and always puts it all on the track. Watching his works last week; he is extremely impressive and always has been. While he does not always come away with the Win; he has hit the board in all but 2 graded stakes wins he’s entered. Out of 18 starts; 14 of them are graded stakes. I think he is this generations’ Gun Runner. Always consistent, extremely well made horse, sound, and very talented.

Watching Rich Strike this week; I continue to be impressed. I know he is a blue-collar horse by a young sire and he has a reputation for being a hot head. I think he has matured greatly these last few months. He looks fabulous on the track, eager, happy, professional and he loves Kentucky.
Rich has the outside post again. He was the outside post in the Derby. Not sure if he can take the W but I like him to hit the board.

I like Taiba but can’t root for him because of who’s training him.

Epicenter and Life is Good; I like them both equally and cant discern which one I like more. Hard choice. Life is Good is a bit more /difficult. Will be interesting to see how he handles the crowds and gate this weekend.

I did like Bob’s interview after gate schooling Cave Rock this morning.

I always bet to beat overwhelming favorites based on too many upsets over horses I did bet that woulda shouda coulda won.

Also recall horses like Arazzi who never ran back to jaw droppingly spectacular form they showed early on.

I think if he starts and stays sound, he is the likely winner. Don’t see anybody beating him if he’s right on race day.

1 Like

Sweet story about Distaff entrant Moira and her groom.

6 Likes

Love Moira - that Queen’s Plate win looked easy for her…
I am feeling a bit… frenzied? Need to be at the airport at 5 a.m. tomorrow!

I was checking things out on the BC website - and noted that my host’s fancy chalet tickets do NOT allow you to be anywhere else - so I scrambled for GA tickets so I can walk around - at least before the major BC races. Friday was easy and they were still available on the BC website - it is “just” the Juvenile races and a regular race card after all. I will not confess how much a GA ticket for Saturday was on sites like StubHub (sold out on the BC site) but I DON’T CARE! This is a bucket list item and sometimes… it just has to be done. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes