Unlimited access >

Breeders Cup 2022 - Keeneland

Really? No paddock access for high dollar chalet tix? Seems like a sneaky way to squeeze more $$$ out of attendees.

Yeah - the fine print says no access to live racing or paddock etc. That may be a fuzzy line… but I want to be prepared for any and all eventualities.

As in… Dress Code. No denim allowed. I do not own a dress. So I bought black pants and have some nice new horse-themed tunics and shirts - that will work. BUT I fly into Houston and have a layover before my much smaller flight into Lexington… so just in case my bag gets delayed, I am dressing up for my flight and not wearing my usual comfy jeans. That way, if my bag goes astray, I will be attired appropriately to get in there! :laughing: Maybe I am overthinking this… I’ll stop boring all of you with my pre-trip What-Ifs!! :crazy_face:

6 Likes

not boring, not boring! We are all living vicariously through you this week!

3 Likes

Have to remember Keenland is very, very small compared to other tracks hosting the BC and the very best seats are not offered to the general public. Most of the high priced BC areas with their own betting windows/machines, bar and food are TV viewing only and in temporary structures with no trackside or paddock access.

They just don’t have room.

Glad you noticed the fine print!

Not being able to leave the indoors to see the and hear the horses would be a real disappointment.

Smart traveler you. Thinking ahead is very helpful in case something goes wrong.

2 Likes

I agree! Very much so.

One chalet overlooks the paddock–but you can’t see live racing from there. (It’s outside the paddock which is behind the grandstand.) The other 2 chalets are quite a distance from the paddock (one more than the other), and there’s no direct route between them, which may make the trip difficult to navigate in a crowd.

The bolded is why I wanted to go to Keeneland so much. If my fancy trackside chalet seat does not allow for re-entry, I will stay in the GA areas until I absolutely have to join my host. I hope to get all my starry-eyed touristy gawking done on Friday - and then do a quick walkabout on Saturday before crowds pick up (yes, I will be there as soon as the parking lot gates open!) after which things will be very crowded and I may like to be waited on and sip my wine and order treats. :wink:

I will also (duh) be recording everything here at home - so I can go back and watch specific things in detail and up close later.

I do not fly out until 1 pm on Sunday - so am going to do my own little bluegrass tour before I turn the rental car in…

2 Likes

You might want to look into parking off the track property and riding a shuttle, across the street at the airport was one in 2020 before it cancelled. On property parking is small and was not going to be available in 2020 without a pass.

I was thinking ahead there was well, @findeight - when I booked the rental car a while ago, I also scored parking passes for both days!

3 Likes

For whatever it’s worth, when I went in 2015 it wasn’t super crowded even on Saturday. They really limited GA ticket sales so it was a lot less crowded (and move civilized) than a typical Saturday at Keeneland. I had friends that were in the chalet on the turn - it was apparently very nice! I had a GA ticket but ended up being a last minute guest of the farm I was working for at the time. I felt very fancy :princess:t2: then after American Pharoah won, I got to put my coveralls back on and go treat a colic :joy:

And on Sunday, the best quick tour of the bluegrass is to drive up Old Frankfort pike. It will take you past Stonestreet, Darby Dan, Three Chimneys, Airdrie and a division of Lanes End. Stop at Wallace Station or Midway Bakery for a snack . You can take US 60 back towards town, passing by Gainsborough, Coolmore, Brookdale. Turn left on Pisgah Pike by the Castle (going past Winstar) and then head back to town on Old Frankfort.

3 Likes

Thanks so much, @Ben_and_Me! I will follow your directions!!

My changes of sleeping tonight - when I have be out of here at 4:15 a.m. - are close to nil… :smile:
I hope there is enough room in my seat on the plane for my butt and the huge bags under my eyes!

SQUEEEEEE!!! :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Don’t let those tickets out of your sight. I’d make sure to have an inside pocket to keep them safe. If you carry them in your handbag, woe to the purse snatcher who chooses you. :rofl:

Look at the picture of Repole!

Does he look happy?
Made tons of money as an entrepreneur and is now living the dream (my dream, anyway)–spending it on horses.
I also believe he has done good after-care on a number of them.
8 Likes

Can someone help me determine how to watch Friday and Saturday on TV

I can’t figure out what network it’s on or how to stream

I’m going to go back to the website to see if I can understand it today but if someone can give me a clue, I’d appreciate it

TVG will have most of Friday, and some on Saturday. I think I heard that USA network will have some of it.

For tv coverage, it’s on USA on Friday starting at 2pm. For Saturday it’s on USA at 1pm and switches to NBC at 3:30.

It looks like it will also be streaming on Fanduel/TVG but you’d have to have an account to watch there. Last year there was also free live streaming coverage on Breederscup.com and I realized late in the day that I much preferred that commentary to the NBC commentary. I can’t tell if you’ll be able to stream from that website again this year but I hope so.

This the tv schedule for Friday. Hope it helps a bit.

Thanks everybody; I had checked the USA in my area on-line and it didn’t show horse racing; It does now, but switches to something else at 3:30 today.

I’ve got my tv set-up for streaming so will see what I can do this afternoon. :slight_smile:

I cannot believe I am here! Famous paddock tree - and the finish line! Paying for a GA ticket aside from the gift chalet ticket was a good idea… I am strolling around and enjoying the sights before I head for the chalet!

15 Likes