Unlimited access >

Bridle Options: Micklem w/o Flash?

Has anyone come across bridles that have the bit attachments on the noseband, similar to the Micklem, but sans flash (regular cavesson)?

I’ve found the Schockemoehle Equitas Delta Bridle, which is pretty much exactly what I’m looking for, but curious if there’s anything else out there.

1 Like

What a nice bridle! I have several horses that dislike a flash and I swap them between micklems and plain cavessons. Curious if anyone has used it and can describe fit.

I was looking for something similar as well. I ended up taking my Micklem to someone local to me who does tack repairs. I had it modified so that it was like the one you have showing.

A friend of mine mentioned that she preferred this PSOS bridle to the Micklem because it has “more adjustability” due to the separate cheek pieces for the bit and noseband. She said something along the lines of how she didn’t like how the Micklem bridle forces the bit into possibly the wrong position because of its connection to the noseband, and vice versa. Also relative to your post/title, this PSOS bridle has a flash but it’s removable (however then you have the empty flash tab sticking out).

I use a Micklem on my guy as an everyday bridle only because I’ve had it forever; it was a “hand me down” from my late mare who went marvelously in it. I’ve never had the feeling that I cannot get a good fit or adjustment of the bridle to my two very differently shaped horses who have worn it, which is why I still have it after all these years :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A friend of mine uses this Schockemoehle bridle and I was thinking about buying it for my guy because I think it’s sharp looking. But I have always felt like it copies the style of the Micklem, so there’s no point in getting two of the same thing especially when I have the prototype.

Out of general curiosity, how can you tell if your horse doesn’t like a flash? This bridle and all of the Micklem or anatomical style bridles have some sort of piece that goes around the horse’s mandible, which I assume is most of what an anti-flash horse doesn’t like. This question/thought popped into my head after reading through the thread on here about whether an anatomical bridle makes any difference. But I have no idea, which is why I am asking :slight_smile:

The first mare I tried the Micklem bridle on sighed and relaxed when I put it on her head–until I fastened the chin strap (like the drop noseband in front of the bit) then she tensed up again.

It took her a month or two to convince me that all she needed for this bridle to be ideal for her was to cut off that darn chinstrap. I did so and she became much happier.

It looks odd. I do not show so I don’t care if it is show legal. All the other horses since then seem to like it too so long the rest of the bridle fits their individual head (an OTTB did NOT like the tight jowl strap at all, no way, no how, and I put a bigger Micklem on him but he STILL did not like that darn jowl strap.)

My method of riding does not require the horse’s mouth to be strapped shut. If a bridle has a noseband I take it off. My riding teacher got used to this after a year or two. She likes how the horses I ride accept the bit.

You should really look at the long thread on anatomical bridles:

Do fancy anatomical bridles make a differenc

There is ample discussion of the different styles available!

Tota makes two models with removable flashes. I have the double bridle. Horse likes it and its quite nice quality. https://thedressageconnection.com/collections/tota-comfort-system

I was looking at the Schokemoehle Equitas bridle a year or so ago, as I really like the design, but read several reviews that the hook stud that attaches the bit hanger to the cheek piece is really fragile and breaks off easily (including in at least one case while the horse was being ridden). I don’t know if they’ve improved the strength of that piece in any way.

I ended up going with the PS of Sweden Paladin bridle that someone mentioned above, and just remove the flash. My horse goes very well in it. I wish they made a version without the flash.

(Edited to make clear which bridle I was referring to.)

Try a plain old bradoon hanger. No noseband or throatlatch.

My bit hanger is one piece over the poll, like a “normal” bridle. One buckle. So I can punch holes and adjust the length as needed
I have Iberians, and they tend to have short wide faces which makes finding a standard size bridle difficult.

1 Like

Sorry - I meant my reply for the post about the Schockemoehle bridle a few posts above.

1 Like

They do now sell a version with buckles replacing those hook studs: https://schockemoehle.net/en/horse/bridles-co./bridles/schockemoehle-sports-bridle-equitus-omega. However, I don’t think the flash is removable?

Thanks, that’s good to know. Luckily, she’s pretty happy in her PSOS so I don’t need another bridle…

1 Like

My concern about the bit attached to the cavesson is not being able to adjust the cavesson independently without affecting where the bit hangs. What I mean is if your horse has a relatively wide or narrow muzzle the bit might be too far up forward toward the nostrils or back behind the natural line of the lips. The bit needs to be able to be in the corners of the lip regardless of the width of the muzzle. I would think this would have to be custom measured for each horse.

1 Like

I have the PS Paladin and the Schockemohle Delta - PS is much better constructed, my Schockemohle has missing stitches in the noseband and the sealed edges are uneven/extra goop on bridle pieces. I wrote the shop I bought it from and Schockemohle told them it was not defective (lol). That being said, I kept it because it was more trouble to return it, and I mostly really like it - if you are in the US, I’d buy from the UK where it costs less.

Leather quality on both PS and Schockemohle is just okay - feels nothing like the leather on my old, beautiful Edgewood - the anatomical Antares with no flash is on my wish list, I think that one will offer similar comfort, but be built to last.

Attached are pics of my large pony wearing the Schockemohle, and TB wearing the Paladin