Unlimited access >

Bridle too big? (Harwich Padded Fancy Stitch)

Recently got a new bridle from Smartpak, the Harwich Padded Fancy Stitch Bridle. I was convinced it would fit the horse I’m leasing great (considering he’s a warmblood around 16.1 hands+), but as it turns out I think it’s too big.

The nose band fit’s fine but the throat latch is on the last hole and my main concern is with the check straps which attach to the bit (don’t know exactly what they’re called) are on the last hole and although the horse has two wrinkles at the bit, I’m convinced that it’s still big since there’s no room for further adjustment to tighten it if needed.

Before I went in the ring, I had my trainer punch an extra hole on one side, which made it better but it’s as far up as any hole can be punched before the mono crown starts. Taking in consideration that with cleaning and conditioning that it’ll stretch?

Do I return for the Cob size?

Anybody have a similar problem with the Harwich bridle?

Maybe just get some cob cheekpieces? They are easy to find and not expensive. I do it all the time for my bridles.

I have one for which the cob bridle is way too small in the crown and browband. So I fix by doing the above.

Or just take the cheek pieces to a leather repair shop and have them shortened. They could easily shorten the throatlatch as well, all for probably less than the cost of shipping it back.

I think smartpak ships free both ways, but you already punched a hole ??

Yeah, per the above, I think that is too much to ask, for SmartPak to exchange a bridle that you punched holes in.

Would you return a hunt coat you had tailored to your size for a jacket in another size?

[QUOTE=ToTheNines;7513965]
Maybe just get some cob cheekpieces? They are easy to find and not expensive. I do it all the time for my bridles.

I have one for which the cob bridle is way too small in the crown and browband. So I fix by doing the above.[/QUOTE]

Good idea! Might be able to ask the barn manager if she has some cheek pieces that I could buy from her/borrow. Maybe even compare the ones on my new bridle to my other bridle; which is a Full sized Circuit just to see if they’re any shorter.

Great idea though! Would’ve never thought to do that. Thanks!

[QUOTE=AliCat;7514040]
Would you return a hunt coat you had tailored to your size for a jacket in another size?[/QUOTE]

Certainly not.

What about Elevator Cheek pieces? That’s the real reason why the normal Full cheek pieces aren’t fitting, because I use an elevator while hacking.

Anybody know where they sell elevator cheek pieces in chocolate brown color for $45 or under?

Harwich cheekpieces: https://www.smartpakequine.com/harwich-cheek-pieces-by-smartpak-9941p

[QUOTE=BigBayHanoMare;7514145]
Harwich cheekpieces: https://www.smartpakequine.com/harwich-cheek-pieces-by-smartpak-9941p[/QUOTE]

Smartpak inexplicably only sells loose parts in horse size, since she already has horse size this doesn’t help.

OP, you want these: http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/3225-xtra-short-cheek-pieces-p-287.html just make sure to measure your cheekpieces to make sure you get the right width.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;7514190]
Smartpak inexplicably only sells loose parts in horse size, since she already has horse size this doesn’t help.

OP, you want these: http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/3225-xtra-short-cheek-pieces-p-287.html just make sure to measure your cheekpieces to make sure you get the right width.[/QUOTE]

Right, I already looked to see if they carried in Cob size for the Harwixh cheek pieces. Don’t understand why they wouldn’t…

I’ll take a look at the link you sent me! Thanks

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;7514190]

OP, you want these: http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/3225-xtra-short-cheek-pieces-p-287.html just make sure to measure your cheekpieces to make sure you get the right width.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! And will do.
Have you ever tried these cheek pieces?

[QUOTE=amnich123;7514214]
Thanks! And will do.
Have you ever tried these cheek pieces?[/QUOTE]

I don’t have the xtra short ones, but I have other bobby’s parts and they’re fine quality. I would think they’d be fine on a harwich bridle.

Just get the cheek pieces shortened. That’s the simplest solution, and the you don’t have to worry about matching.

I would talk to a smartpak. They might be willing to exchange the cheek pieces for a smaller size. Or even tack the bridle back and get a different size or style. I have had fantastic customer service with them, they have gone above and beyond for me in several occasions.

Why not get the cheek pieces cut down to fit? That way they match exactly and you’re making use of the entire new bridle.

I think that considering you punched holes in it returning it might be a bit much. But as BAC said it shouldn’t be too pricey to have the cheek pieces cut down. I have don’t it before and with that, the noseband, and throat latch it was under $40 so I would think what you need would be even less. :slight_smile:

I would not return a bridle you have already punched holes in. If you wanted to return or exchange it, you would have needed to do that before you made permanent modifications to it (punching holes). If this is a lease horse, does he not have his own equipment? Is there a reason you can’t use his owners bridle or the bridle that he currently goes in? (And boots too…) You’ve posted about your financial challenges and now it seems like your parents have agreed to lease for you which is great, keep the custom cwd order, get show boots, etc. Every lease horse that I have ever either had on lease or leased out has had it’s own equipment (bridle, boots, any special pads, etc) provided by either the barn or the owner. There is no reason to be spending a bunch of money on bridles and show boots for a lease horse, this should all be stuff that the horses owner (or the barn if it is a barn owned horse) has available for your use.

[QUOTE=hAlterHorse;7515744]
I would not return a bridle you have already punched holes in. If you wanted to return or exchange it, you would have needed to do that before you made permanent modifications to it (punching holes). If this is a lease horse, does he not have his own equipment? Is there a reason you can’t use his owners bridle or the bridle that he currently goes in? (And boots too…) You’ve posted about your financial challenges and now it seems like your parents have agreed to lease for you which is great, keep the custom cwd order, get show boots, etc. Every lease horse that I have ever either had on lease or leased out has had it’s own equipment (bridle, boots, any special pads, etc) provided by either the barn or the owner. There is no reason to be spending a bunch of money on bridles and show boots for a lease horse, this should all be stuff that the horses owner (or the barn if it is a barn owned horse) has available for your use.[/QUOTE]

But if the lease horse didn’t come with that, then you do have to get it yourself.

Of my last 3, 1 came with 2 whole trunks of stuff (right down to fly spray), 1 came with a bridle and a blanket, and one came with the stable blanket she shipped in only. You only get as much stuff as the owner wants to send, and if they don’t want to send show boots (I would keep mine, quite frankly) and a bridle, you’re out of luck.

Congratulations for working out your finances somehow. I also agree that you should see about having the cheek pieces cut down.