Unlimited access >

Bringing my Jumper TB to Maryland - Where to train/board/live?

I’m moving to Maryland this summer. Working in G-burg and living somewhere in its environs. More importantly, I need a home and a trainer for my horse - a 9 yr old TB gelding. Looking for a jumper trainer and facility in the Frederick/Montgomery counties. My trainer and I are coming to MD to visit barns. We have a long list of places to visit, but I’m sure we’re missing some gems. Please post or PM me your ideas and favorites! THANK YOU in advance!!

Stay off 270 as much as you can.

If she works and lives in Gaithersburg area then she doesn’t need to get on 270 at all

You will have lots of great options but don’t miss Rolling Acres in Brookeville. Pretty easy from Gaithersburg and great program.

Feel free to check out Feel Good Farm in Frederick - smaller size, nice facility and nice people.

If you come up with options, feel free to post on here and ask for opinions. I did when I was looking for a barn in NJ and it worked well. I received a lot of good input by PM that helped me make my decision.

Rolling Acres!!!

If you are willing to look beyond an exclusively h/j barn, look up Destination Farm in Dickerson. Natalie Hollis is an upper level eventer and does a stellar job. Super friendly, barn is low-key, turnout is lovely. They have host jumper nights regularly, in addition to showing all season.

[QUOTE=La Chasse;7595503]
If you are willing to look beyond an exclusively h/j barn, look up Destination Farm in Dickerson. Natalie Hollis is an upper level eventer and does a stellar job. Super friendly, barn is low-key, turnout is lovely. They have host jumper nights regularly, in addition to showing all season.[/QUOTE]

Lytles do something similar as well.

OP, what level of jumpers are you doing/looking to do? There are a lot of trainers in the area who can help you go do Ch/Adults, but if you’re looking to go to low GPs or something, you’re going to have a much narrower pool of barns to choose from, unless you’re looking to board one place and haul in somewhere else for lessons.

[QUOTE=flowerpot;7594786]
Rolling Acres!!![/QUOTE] Let’s just say there are some differing opinions on Rolling Acres. PM me if you want more info.

From Gaithersburg I’d head to Poolesville, there is Lohman Stables and Broad Run Farm, both of whom do a nice job with the TBs.

You are moving to a great area! I grew up in Montgomery County there are some great barns in the area and in easy commuting distance as well.

270 can be tough at rush hour but honestly the whole area has awaful traffic 66 in VA is a nightmare too. You will be fine. :slight_smile:

It all depends on what kind of program you are looking for, but you have some great choices in the area.

Depending on what you want to do and what kind of program and environment you are looking for, you have some great choices to fit all needs .

Alan Lohman, Cindy Lytle, Rachel Kennedy, The Nicholsons, Adrian Ford, Kevin Bruce, Marlene Allen, Jo-Ann Schaudies, and these are all in the county…and only some.

Good Luck!

Agree w/ Moesha - to make it easier - here are the barns attached to the trainers
Alan Lohman (barn is Alan Lohman Stables or farm), Kevin Bruce + Broad Run Farm, Jo-Ann Schaudies + Surmont (all right down the road from each other - 5 minutes apart), Adrian Ford + Big Easy Farm (in Boyds, not far from Poolesville), Marlene Allen + Marway Farm (no website) , Cindy Lytle - Otasaga Farm/Lytleshowhorses (Adrian, Marlene and Cindy sort of down the road from each other - depending on the road but in close proximity) these 6 barns are all pretty close to each other! Rachel Kennedy - ESP and The Nicholsons + Rolling Acres - these too are a tad further from G’burg and are pretty close to each other. How lucky are we to have all these good barns to choose from - and this is just some of the H/J barns! Alan, Rachel Kennedy, Kevin Bruce, and the Nicholsons pretty much A shows only. Jo-Ann, Cindy, Adrian and Marlene - local and A shows

This is a great list. I’d also add Allie Panetta Show Stables/ Walnut Pond Farm to the list. Located next to ESP in Brookeville with excellent care and an indoor.

[QUOTE=gottagrey;7596416]
Agree w/ Moesha - to make it easier - here are the barns attached to the trainers
Alan Lohman (barn is Alan Lohman Stables or farm), Kevin Bruce + Broad Run Farm, Jo-Ann Schaudies + Surmont (all right down the road from each other - 5 minutes apart), Adrian Ford + Big Easy Farm (in Boyds, not far from Poolesville), Marlene Allen + Marway Farm (no website) , Cindy Lytle - Otasaga Farm/Lytleshowhorses (Adrian, Marlene and Cindy sort of down the road from each other - depending on the road but in close proximity) these 6 barns are all pretty close to each other! Rachel Kennedy - ESP and The Nicholsons + Rolling Acres - these too are a tad further from G’burg and are pretty close to each other. How lucky are we to have all these good barns to choose from - and this is just some of the H/J barns! Alan, Rachel Kennedy, Kevin Bruce, and the Nicholsons pretty much A shows only. Jo-Ann, Cindy, Adrian and Marlene - local and A shows[/QUOTE]

All of you have been amazing with your advice. I can tell already that I am moving to a great place! For work/life balance, the Poolesville/Dickerson/Boyds area appears to be the most convenient for me, but I’m open to other areas.

Let me ask you this…if I have a 2-horse trailer will I be able to keep it at the barn? I’m guessing pulling a Sundowner reeking of HORSE into a TH will violate some sort of HOA rule…

And another question, because I travel for work a fair amount, I need a place where I can have my horse in half training. He’ll need some rides when I’m gone. Where I board in Salt Lake, my trainer puts these rides in. Will trainers at the barns you mentioned do training rides or will they be farmed out to a working student?

Again, you all are fantastic. So grateful!

Most of the barns on your list should have trailer parking and most have a program where your horse can be in “training” or get exercise rides when you are out of town.

You are moving to an awesome area for jumpers! You’ll have lots of choices, from big rated shows to smaller local shows. Besides your budget, you’ll want to consider whether or not you want to travel, and how often the trainer will actually be home for lessons and training rides. Some of the trainers mentioned are on the road frequently due to their show schedule.

JenEM, sorry for the delayed reply! We’re in the low Ch/AA level at present (1 m) and likely will be for awhile!

Ok all here’s the fun one now ---- Tack Shops!! Where should we go? We are visiting barns this weekend and would also love to SHOP! BTW - all of you are so helpful. Really psyched!

If you have the time to drive to VA, go to Middleburg. You can go to The Tack Exchange, Tack Box, and Saddlery Liquidators in one swoop - just don’t go on a Sunday.

[QUOTE=IcyTB;7599494]
JenEM, sorry for the delayed reply! We’re in the low Ch/AA level at present (1 m) and likely will be for awhile![/QUOTE]

Then I think Moesha and gottagrey have given very good lists of recommendations of barns to check out. Not every program is right for every horse/rider, but those would all be likely potential fits for you.

Ditto Trixie’s recommendation of a drive down to Middleburg. In that are of MD, there’s really only The Surrey, which does have a good selection, but you’ve got a lot more to choose from with multiple stores in M’burg. (And if you’ve got other 4-legged friends, I also highly recommend visiting Wylie Wagg there too.)