Bush opens up a can of whoop a$$

Oh my… No shortage of comparisons to the Brown Shirts, are there?

I especially liked this statement…

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"The Koran forbids the killing of females, children, elders and cattle,� [emphasis added] he said. “That is war. That is not holy war.” Sons of Islam must answer that tyranny with holy war, he said.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly who did they think was in the WTC?

So I guess the logic is that Bin Laden & cohorts declared war by the Koran�s interpretation, as opposed to holy war, seeing as everything but cattle on that list resided in those Towers. We responded likewise, probably killing innocent civilians unintentionally and a few cattle for good measure, so now that means the only response is holy war?

God save me from people who trot religion out to justify their own desire for power and revenge…

I agree with you he is completely illiterate but …the speech was good rousing etc .Thats what these speeches are supposed to be !My mom and I were talking about him two days ago… I said I do not know what he was doing at Harvard but studying the English language was not it .My stepdad who knows former Pres. Bush said “he was partying girls !”
Yes but you have to admit it was a rousing speech and in the long run we all respond to someone who does not “put on airs right?”
Here’s my question …
After the fervor dies down from this speech Exactly how are we all of us from every part of the world going to succeed ?I see this “war” as being almost impossible to win.Anyone who helps us can look forward to attacks on their homeland.That results in public outcry etc etc .All of this gives the "TERRAISTS"what they want.I have to admitthat the reality of this mess makes me depressed.

Good God! If you are an example of the Democratic Party - it’s disgraceful. Aren’t we all tired of rumor mongers like yourself trying to find some underlying political strategy in a time of world crisis. Wait - it sounds just like a Democrat!

Let’s put the credit where it lies - computers walking out of the STate Department?? Anyone and everyone in and out of the White House??? Bill Clinton fondling girls with cigars while the Taliban was amassing this horrendous army of madmen against the free world. Secrets being sold to China in exchange for money to your party???

I’m printing off your post and sending it off to Republican and Independent leaders I know to show them exactly how low your Donkeys can go!!!

I have to believe 85%++ of Americans said a prayer of thanks that Bill Clinton or Al Gore weren’t President right now. And I’m equally as thrilled that McCain isn’t either - he’s a hot head and has had a crop up his butt since losing in the primaries - we don’t need a leader with an attitude with lives of citizens and military are involved. Would we feel confident with Janet Reno and Madeline Aldrich and Cohen at the helm??? Thank you God for saving us from what would have been the demise of the western world.

If you want to see up close and personal BAD BEHAVIOR - play back the film of Hillary Clinton on Thursday night during the speech. She not only disgraced herself she was an embarassment to the people she represents in New York - where the worst terrorist action took place!!!

I was under the impression that the Afghani resistance to the Taliban is who we want to be in power…I must have missed something.

I admit I have not been keeping up with that country’s issues for some time, but after watching a very interesting report on MSNBC by the daughter of an Afghani man, I just believed we were on the same side as the resistance against the Taliban.

Obviously, you know something different, and I am eager to learn, so please help me out!

Hobson, I am beyond words…we aren’t as far apart as I thought

Singing Kumbaya with you Heidi…heck, I may go pick some Daisy’s and misbraid them in my horses manes…tie dyed breeches…platform soles on my hunting boots…

SLW- a misunderachiever

P.S. That WAS a funny word he screwed up, thanks for sharing it!

I second your remarks wholeheartedly - is it a matter of ego for DMK to be well-informed and open-minded on world affairs? I don’t think so…

BTW, that book on Guns, Germs and Steel (i always want to slip Butter into that title, old cliches die hard) is one heck of a good read for anyone interested in taking the long view on human civilizations…

Hmm - late to this fight.

I have found everything everyone has said interesting - if people get hot, well, that’s the nature of politics, and here we have the FREEDOM to get hot. Recent event have made me especially thankful that WOMEN have that freedom.

I realize people are stressed, hot under the collar, angry, etc etfc, but, NO ONE is going to change ANY MINDS on this a BB!!! Be REAL.

For ANYONE to QUIT this BB (and Heidi, I KNOW you are not the ONLY one frustrated) is SILLY and IMMATURE! I ignored the last person who requested I remove ALL her posts - (sorry ) what she had to say on this and other threads is/was entirely too important to delete because she is annoyed.

So, my advice to everyone is GET A LIFE - do NOT post PERSONAL attacks; DO not cast aspersions on someone else’s intelligence because they don’t come around to your view; DO read and try to understand the differences!

That is what FREEDOM is all about!

Geez what could possibly be next for these people?Ebola-style killer virus sweeps Afghan border
By Tim Butcher in Quetta
(Filed: 04/10/2001)

THE largest outbreak in history of a highly contagious disease that causes patients to bleed to death from every orifice was confirmed yesterday on Pakistan’s frontier with Afghanistan.

At least 75 people have caught the disease so far and eight have died. An isolation ward screened off by barbed wire has been set up in the Pakistani city of Quetta, and an international appeal has been launched for help.

Evidence suggests the outbreak of Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever emanates from within Afghanistan, raising fears of an epidemic if millions of refugees flee across the frontier into Pakistan.

CCHF has similar effects to the ebola virus. Both viruses damage arteries, veins and other blood vessels and lead to the eventual collapse of major organs.

As one doctor put it, a patient suffering from haemorrhagic fever “literally melts in front of your eyes”.

At the Fatima Jinnah Chest and General Hospital in Quetta, capital of the Pakistani province of Baluchistan, an isolation ward with eight treatment beds and two observation bays has been set up.

Nine-year-old Ismail Sadiq lay on one of the beds yesterday, his body wracked with fever and a wad of cotton wool stuffed into each nostril to stem the bleeding.

Outside members of his family sat anxiously in the shade of a tree. An elderly gentleman worked a string of worry beads through his fingers, but doctors had forbidden all visits.

The only people Ismail now sees are doctors and nurses wearing the complete “barrier nursing” outfit of sterilised hairnet, mask, gloves, gown and overshoes.

Another patient, a 65-year-old man, lay inert on his bed, with streams of dried blood on his chin, nose and tongue. His shirt was also stained heavily with blood.

Dr Akhlaq Hussain, the hospital’s medical superintendent, said: “The first cases came in June. There were a number of deaths, but at first we did not know what was the cause.”

A number of blood samples were sent to Pakistan’s national virology testing centre in Islamabad. They were then sent to South Africa’s National Institute of Virology in Johannesburg for confirmation.

Dr Hussain said: “When the results came back we knew we were dealing with Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever.” He has compiled a list of all 75 cases, which involved refugees recently arrived from Afghanistan or people living close to the border.

The first known case of the disease was among Russian soldiers serving in the Crimea in 1944 and then among villagers living near the Congolese city of Kisangani in 1956. Not until 1969 were scientists able to isolate the single virus common to both.

Although there have been a number of cases since, the outbreaks have never been as large as the current one.

The doctor said: "We had our first case in Pakistan in the 1970s. It would seem there is a reservoir of the virus in Afghanistan and we are now worried about the possible effects of an influx of many new refugees.

“The virus is carried by domestic animals, and if they come in large numbers with large numbers of animals we can expect many more cases.”

The authorities in Pakistan have appealed to the World Health Organisation for additional supplies to help deal with the outbreak, including storage facilities for clean blood plasma and white blood cells which can be used to replace those lost by patients.

The virus is widely distributed in the blood of sheep, cattle and other mammals across eastern Europe, Asia and Africa. It can be passed to man by a species of tick, Hyalomma marginatum, common in the same areas.

If caught in time, CCHF can be treated by replacing enough of the lost body fluids to allow the patient’s own immune system to take over and kill the virus.

The facilities at Fatima Jinnah are basic, but the staff are dedicated and brave, treating patients even though there is a high risk of infection from spittle or blood.

2 October 2001: Mud hovels await fleeing Afghans
1 October 2001: UN discovers donkey trains are only way to reach the starving
29 September

I will continue on with the accolades, and add bravery into the compliments. Bravery might not be the right word…But, I’ve known plenty of “younger” people who are extremely intelligent and articulate, but that aren’t comfortable voicing them in some instances/situations. (I’m not just talking about these days, but in “my” day as well. ) That you are able to do this is vastly impressive. Congratulations. Your parents, teachers, friends, etc. must be terribly proud of you.

Now, put yourself in the shoes (?) of an Afghani -you’ve possibly heard the news that the USA is the seat of evil. You’ve been bombed and mined to smithereens already. Now yellow boxes fall from the sky. Perhaps it lands near you. (Mostly likely they’ll all rot away in the sun.) Would you touch it???

Egads, Jeannette, are you actually trying to defend soy milk? I am aghast. I frankly suspect you of being a closet Fabiocrat!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlyingCircus:

I’m not so sure that Erin and DMK are saying that our esteemed President is illiterate. It seemed to me that they were just commenting on his accent. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you FlyingCircus… I was just about to reiterate what Erin said - Did anyone READ what we wrote??? You did though, and that took the wind right out of my sails

Everyone else, as for what I said, it is, has been, and shall be, his VOICE that I cannot listen to. Note that VOICE is somewhat a different concept than WORDS (sentences, paragraphs, phrases, concepts, speeches and other various forms of assembling words). I did watch 2 hours of political commentary afterwords and read the speech, and it was indeed a good speech.

As for the man’s voice, I confess I had the same problem with George Morris for years when he was schooling someone within earshot - I had to leave the immediate area. I’m over it now, but people humming and snapping gum will still drive me over the edge.

And spaz00, don’t worry. I’m a native Texan, my family is all in Texas, and have been there for quite some time (think generations). Texas accents thrive aplenty in my relatives. Whatever it is about Dubya’s voice that my spine takes offense to isn’t about a Texas accent

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by magnolia:
Why do we support Isreal and give them 3 billion dollars a year? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because without us, there would not be an Israel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Why do we have troops in the Middle East anyhow? It is a volatile region, made even more so by our presence.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, made less so by our presence. Not that I think we should be sticking our secular noses into everyone else’s business, but it would certainly be likely the entire region would become fundementalist, to the detriment of most of the people who live there.

I move we get our man, stop sending tax $$$ to Isreal, bring our troops home, and vote against them with our pocketbooks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Life the way we know it would be so amazingly different for average Americans if we left the Mid-east, it would be astonishing to think about. And not that the ‘capture’ of one man would change anything in the region or bring to justice all of those responsible.

Heck, I’d be willing to drill the ANWR if it meant none of our men and women had to die.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not enough oil there to really even get hepped up about, which is why I am always surprised people actually want to drill there.

And, to the person that suggested us pacifists go over with a bag of groceries, well, I’d be first in line to go if I was given a few billion dollars worth of groceries, medicine, and technology to help improve these people’s lives.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, we cannot look at such a completely different culture through American eyes. Many of the hijackers lived amongst us for years, made a great living off the American economy and left behind many of their Muslim tenets while blending with us. However, when the call came to kill themselves and take 6000 innocent people with them, they answered the call. That type of mentality will not be changed by a couple loaves of bread and a laptop (lack of electricity being another issue).

LG-This press release does not cover groups dealing with drugs but it gives an idea of what we deal with each year.

http://www.senate.gov/~grassley/releases/1997/pr11-14.htm

your response, albeit creative, was simply not titillating enough for my tastes…

Tony Blair is about as good a media magician as you can get - eloquent, good looking, and I APPRECIATE his coming to our aid in this event.

HOWEVER his (and his administration’s) treatment of the FARMERS in Great Britain is BEYOND BELIEF - absolutely horrific, and don’t even get me started on the ruination of agriculture in the UK that COULD have been prevented. Granted, what’s 3 million animals dead?? And thousands of farmers out of business with NO recourse. He has effectively wiped out a way of in GB - certainly has wiped out GENERATIONS of irreplacable breeding in cattle, sheep, and pigs.

This is, however, a discussion for another thread.

No smart remark’s about your name, I thought (from that article and a few others) that the site was like the Onion, a parady!
Magnolia just comes from my name (Maggie) and the fact that I live in the south…
I like the name Natty Dread. Do you have some dreadlocks?

The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

OH! sure in every group there are the sticklers who want to follow the letter of any law. And there are some Republicans even I can’t respect.

As to being Libertarian, I’ve thought about that but they seem a little too close to anarchy. I haven’t heard any speakers for the party that had a criteria of a system. I admit I like having the rules spelled out in detail. I also like being able to change them if they don’t work.

You know part of what’s wrong is this labeling and the fear, all politicians are more anxious to be elected than to be right. Which I find very disappointing but it is flaw for the system to deal with some time soon.

I think that under the mantel of individualism most Republicans would agree but are just plain scared to death to say they think the “drug war” was a bust and has gone bezerk!

Personally, while I wouldn’t imbibe just because I don’t go for any chemical mind altering substances beyond coffee and sugar, I wonder what exactly is in prozac.

Wouldn’t it be hysterical if someone broke down the chemical characteristics and found they were the same as smoking that other weed.

It’s like all the tests they’ve done on smoking, their conclusions are not based on a fair tabulation. For example how many of those tested are A personalities who would have had a heart attack anyway because they are stressed. How many of the A personality people who smoke cigarettes would have had heart attacks if they didn’t smoke?

How come we have so much more asthma and breathing problems now that the world is becoming smoke free? We all smoked from the 40’s and no one seems to have suffered until now when everyone is trying to stop smoking? That’s what I mean in all these polls and surveys we need to look at who and how the survey was taken.

The stampede against drug use was predicated on the fact that if the punishment was great enough then no one would use, well that’s been blatantly proved untrue. It was the same with the bootleggers during prohibiton, a whole underground grew up because people wanted alcohol for whatever reason.

Since it is the tobacco companies that produce all those nicotine patches and pills maybe they just discovered a more profitable route to the wallet while selling nicotine administering in a better way.

Maybe, on this drug thing the problem is that the underground hoodlums have so much influence in Congress because they have so much money and they’re just defending their turf.

But, I don’t know how you could put a reasonable group of people together who didn’t have a conflict of interest to make a better decision. Our system isn’t perfect but it’s the best one so far.

Yep! I do think I should have the right to polute my body with whatever I choose. If I don’t want to live to be 100 why should I have to do it? Why not have a fun ride while I’m here and check out when I’m ready?

It’s get’s back to economics. If your have been sold a bill of goods that says if I get sick it’s going to cost you, then you will want to keep me from getting sick. Premise sounds fine in a campaign, collective welfare interests. But in application it’s the same kind of restriction.

Will there someday be a computer in my regrigerator that tells the authorities that I ate red meat, didn’t drink my orange juice and had too much coffee. That is the collective right if they are responsible for my bills.

So, people are convinced that it will cost them lot’s of money for health care if you all are smoking pot. The closer you get to the pocket book the more serious the punishment.

Now, if all you do in kill a couple of people in a psychotic rage that’s acceptable because only a couple of people got hurt, it didn’t cost society it only cost their families. That’s what I see as a reason not to support collective thinking. They also saved all that money supporting the psychotic in a hospital. Collective economics again based on the bottom line.

[This message was edited by Snowbird on Oct. 06, 2001 at 03:03 PM.]

Hmm, hope this post doesn’t derail the now “back on track” thread…

But did anyone hear the reports on NPR about the just-awarded Nobel prize for economics? The analogy they used to describe this economic theory discussed the economics of health care, pooled risk, and why it doesn’t work. They mentioned healthy people dropping out when health plans became too expensive - it was exactly what DMK discussed in one of her posts a few pages back!!

The prize winner (as told by HYN,someone who is much more in her element discussing anthrax than economics) started with something like “The Economics of Lemons”, why basic business principles don’t apply in the sales of used cars, where one party in the transaction knows a lot more than the other… used car dealers know what’s really going on with the cars, buyers don’t… People looking for health plans know stuff about their health that the insurers don’t… Typical supply and demand theories of economics won’t work in those situations (hope I’m not butchering this too badly!)

I suspect the theory would be very appropriate to the buying and selling of horses as well - isn’t that a lot like buying used cars?

Okay, back to your previously scheduled policy discussions, but let me leave with one last thought - Is “DMK” the humble screen name of a genuine Nobel Laureate???

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The squealing beast ran through the plane, discharging feces as it went, and tried to get into the cockpit before taking refuge in the aircraft’s food galley. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The pig could probably smell the bacon sizzling for the in-flight meals… If they would just serve soy-bacon, our pork based friends would not get so upset on flights.

The witchy witch witch of south central NC.