Bush opens up a can of whoop a$$

Was a terrible orator. Hated to make speeches! I read somewhere that after his inaugural speech, he never made another one!
Would you call him stupid? Would you be embarrassed by him? He was also a farmer.
I cannot, or will not judge a man by his ability to entertain, or speak well in front of crowds.

I will judge him by his actions. So far, he’s doing a much better job than I thought he would.

I voted for McCain.

If the election were held today, I would change my vote. I could care less if he can make a good speech or not! I rather like his down home manner! He’s reachable.

these things that you all are “embarrassed by” are really rather superficial.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockstar:

How does one explain their unwillingness to buy into consumerism to the thousands who are getting laid off? It’s very good to do your good deeds through charity giving, but the need for charity only increases dramatically if we don’t fill the demand that once existed for goods and services. To know have the highest unemployment rate in 9 years is one scary, scary fact. My graduating college class is heading into the worst job market in decades. I can’t tell you how many 20-something friends I have in financial services (and many other sectors) who walk into work every day now expecting to be laid off.

[This message was edited by rockstar on Oct. 05, 2001 at 12:41 AM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And sadly it’s about even more than that. It’s called going about your business as if September 11th didn’t happen (of course exercising more caution with every day suspicions)

I don’t know if some of you realize the far reaching effects this enforced economic downturn is already having. Even up here in Canada there have been massive layoffs linked to these terrorist acts. The ripple effect from the airline, travel and financial industries to industries such as the automotive, tech, and even the entertainment industry is much broader than any would suspect.

On September 11th I watched my job prospects dry up in less time than it took CNN to set up their live feed in NYC. My industry was already staggering under a sluggish economy. This event has just proven to be the death knell on an industry already sensitive to the ups and downs of economic erruptions. But little did I know that a mere 3 weeks later my husband’s industry would be threatened as well. Cancelled business from US clients - an unwillingness to travel - taking a wait and see attitude towards spending money. It’s about even more than buying yourself a luxury item. It’s about attitude. If North Americans allow themselves to be cowed by these terrorist acts then the terrorists win. Regardless of what economic aid packages come out of the White House it’s up to each and every one of us to be BRAVE. We need to move boldly into the future: in our business decisions as well as our personal decisions.

I’m surprised that so many would rather resort to name calling rather than face this devistating repercussion. This community in particular. I’m not picking on anyone, it’s just that so many on this board have to much. And they complain and exhibit a kind of NIMBYism that’s rather disheartening to me personally. Owning a horse and riding is a prividelige. One that could be taken away from you in a blink of an eye. On a positive note, those that can afford to continue spending their dollars in the equine industry are certainly doing their bit. But it’s not enough. Bravery comes with a huge price tag attached. It cannot be measured in dollars, it is a risk that cannot be measured. But by continuing to support the economy you are taking a brave step - rather than burying your savings in the sand. But please, rather than resort to taking your fears out on your neighbour, pull together and be brave. If not for your own sake, for the sake of each and every one of us who face a dark and difficult future because of terrorism.

Apologies for spelling … I’m having a dyslexic day.

[This message was edited by Canadian Canter on Oct. 05, 2001 at 08:30 AM.]

[This message was edited by Canadian Canter on Oct. 05, 2001 at 08:33 AM.]

Clinton may have a higher IQ than Dubya but I agree with former Clinton advisor Dick Morris. Clinton’s tendency to overthink and try to please all sides would make him far less able to take on this situation than GWB. Bubba likes to see grey wher e W sees black and white. Clinton’s limited retaliation to previous terror attacks is evidence. My launching a few missiles he can tell the hawks that he struck, while keeping it limited to appease the doves. Clinton also could never have formed to effective a team as Powell, Rumsfeld and Ashcroft.

BEQS clique. With elbows in!

No one wins a holy war.

If you want to blame Clinton for not solving the terrorist problem, well then are you going to blame Reagan for not solving it, after 241 marines were killed by a suicide bomber in 1983. Are you going to blame Bush Sr. for not solving the Iraq problem…and why is it that Dubya hasn’t done anything to quell terrorism until 9/11? Blaming the president is SO easy isn’t it, but the fact is it’s a very complicated problem and not easily solved. It’s not black and white.

Betsy (in Md.)

CNN says he died

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jair:

good lord Erin, I could hear that midwest twang of yours even in your writing! I agreed with your “speech”, but didn’t understand every word <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you think I’m a writer, Jair? There’s a damn good reason I didn’t go into broadcast journalism!

Oh, the Midwestern curse… I call my fizzy drinks “pop” instead of “soda,” I stand “in line” not “on line,” I call it “gapers’ block” not “rubbernecking”… Oh, the tortuous teasing I endured going to school in upstate NY where I stood out like a sore thumb! How COULD THEY?!! Scarred for life, that’s me…

Hey, if you can’t laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

Sincerely,

Ann Heidi

(which is the Midwestern translation of Erin Harty, and is the name to which much of my mail is addressed because people don’t understand me on the damn phone!!! )

P.S. - y’know, I’m pretty sure even Bush has poked fun at his gaffes and Bush-isms… he seems to have a pretty good sense of humor.

Ya know, (I’m just gonna do it, totally UN-PC)… We need to send in baymare’s dressage queens, the welfare queens, the Jerry Springer white trash ho’s that fight over the pug-ugly creep, and the soccer mommy caravan insane driver club instead of our armed forces. The Taliban would deliver us our enemies if we would just take our isane women posse home.
Then, we could force Bin Laden to watch the Rosie O’Donnell show, interspersed with clips from Big Brother and Jim Carrey movies, until he was a dribbling brain dead shell of a human.

Ride it Like You Stole It…

I can show you where to broadside joggers in NYC anytime, but you’re on your own as far as the Prada boutique, because my J.Lo-booty wasn’t designed for Prada… but my roommate would probably be more than willing to give you a tour of the menswear floor at Barneys.

That said, Back to politics… This week’s TIME has some very good background articles on the nature of Islam in the U.S. and abroad, also on Middle Eastern politics, FYI.

Sadly, I get the feeling their international journos have been saving up these stories for years, while Time, Newsweek, CNN et al plied us with “happy” news and so-called service articles (e.g. “Can Soccer Moms Save Social Security?” “How to Get Your Four-Year-Old Into College Now!” “Baby Boomers Bustin’ Out!”)

[This message was edited by InWhyCee on Sep. 25, 2001 at 12:53 PM.]

I think I’ve gotten some understanding of the viewpoints of DMK, Hobson, and others on these issues. Perhaps some of it was gleaned from earlier threads, though, and not just this one.

In the early days after the attacks, the administration began saying we were at war. While certainly everyone here condemns the attacks, I, and surely some other posters, were uncomfortable with the idea that we were suddenly declaring war - on what or whom? Most of us agreed with the need for some sort of retaliation or bringing to justice, but the notion of sending troops or even bombers to bring Afghanistan to its knees struck me as senseless. Other posters seemed gung-ho to enlist for combat duty. (Two weeks later, the Bush II administration is apparently working on its definition of what the meaning of “war” is )

I believe some of the discussion on this thread stemmed from what various posters thought would be a valid response (hmm, maybe I’m remembering another thread, though…) Of course, we digressed into other contentious topics along the way, as well .

There, does that confusicate you completely about where I stand on issues? Or would you prefer the abbreviated format: left, liberal, die-hard democrat, tree-hugging, etc, etc?

And re: Ted Nugent’s previous career - he is just as qualified to render his opinions as any poster on this BB. So how come he gets paid for his??

Oh magnolia!!! TOO FUNNY! You MUST be extremely well-read OR have an unbelievable imagination!

I read Clive as well, along with Sandra Brown, Catherine Coulter, Patricia Cornwell, David Balducci…

Snowbird, go back to about page 2 where I said, for the third time, in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS, that I really liked Bush’s speech, even if he does talk funny.

The ensuing 25 pages are an exceedingly good example of people beating a dead horse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by magnolia:
People just might be willing to spend if the didn’t see their coworkers being laid off left and right. Our joblessness rate is at its highest in 9 years.
If you have a job that you make say, $30,000 a year, you probably don’t have huge savings, not a lot of stock, and likely won’t get a big severence package. Unemployment pays @ 50% of what you make for 6 months, the job market is tight. That person is going to just be trying to pay their mortgage or rent. That isn’t selfish, it’s common sense.
For the still employed coworker, you become nervous that you are next. You decide your beater of a car has a few years left, and sock away some money lest you are next.
It’s pretty common sense. What do people think, with so many jobs being cut people are going to go out and spend $$$$ in their free time?

The witchy witch witch of south central NC.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Magnolia, you are entitled to your opinion. I’m not trying to pick a fight with you at all. But the content of your post is exactly what alarms me. I’m not talking about people going out and wantonly spending money in their free time.
For example there are always going to be people who can afford to travel. But instead of cancelling their Christmas vacation out of fear, scale it back … one week instead of two. A three star hotel instead of a five. Rather than not show at all this winter, plan on a few shows if you can afford to. If you need to travel for business now don’t put it off until the Spring. Get on that plane and go.
I’m not trying to single you out Magnolia, it’s just that the image your response invokes to me personally is one of Magnolia patrolling her borders, ready to shoot anyone who would dare come begging for a penny or a crust of bread. Now, that’s a very harsh observation - and admittedly I am overreacting more than just a tad. I’m afraid and trying to be brave in the face of a tornado. But economic NIMBYism is going to prolong this dark period, and I wonder, just wonder if your opinion would shift just a little if you were in my shoes. But that’s entirely retorical and therefore pointless. I certainly hope that you never have to experience what it’s like to lose horse, car, savings and home all because of bad luck, bad timing or terrorism.

BTW - Unemployment insurance in this country has a cap on it - even if you made $150,000.00 a year, the most you can expect to collect is $378.00 a week, roughly $1,500.00 a month for only 26-32 weeks I believe. But it’s better than nothing even if, for most Canadians living in a city without rent control, the average rental is $1,500.00 a month. Too bad they’ve gotta eat too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>He eventually escaped with the help of local villagers, who dyed their uniforms to look like civilians <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, talk about heros!

I agree that the information there is pretty comprehensive–

During my last semester of college I did an independent study on terrorism; I was very frustrated at that time ('84) at the paucity of academic material on the subject–nearly every bibliography led back to the same scant sources…there was very little available from the State Department, and not much on the ideology of Islamic fundamentalism beyond the obvious Israeli/Palestinian conflict. It is indeed possible that our leadership was acting based on what little information was available. Certainly, most ordinary Americans were effectively blindsided by the Iranian revolution as our attention for some number of decades had been directed elsewhere; this is likely true for our leadership as well…(remember that Carter, a reluctant Cold Warrior, whose primary accomplishment was the Camp David Accord, had taken over from Ford, who had not been elected, but finished out the term of Nixon, whose embroilment in Watergate fairly well eclipsed any attention paid to opening up China; apart from this, our country was still pulling back internationally after Vietnam…) If any mistakes were made, it seems that both Republican and Democratic administrations would seem to be equally at fault historically–but perhaps it is simply true that the scope of the hatred and evolution of the radical idologies could not have been anticipated. I would suggest that the policies of constructive social and economic engagement, predicated on the existance of legitimate, politically stable regimes sensitive to human rights would have a better chance of success given our shrinking globe than the isolationist yearnings that pt has outlined. But that is a lot easier to say than to accomplish.

I’d be riding to the doctor.

How about health department clinics for most things, and universal single pay basic and preventative care, including mental, dental and vision, paid for out of employment (SS type) tax dollars, with government funding for the working poor and the unemployed and retired? With an annual maximum per individual?

Private catastrophic insurance (like current cancer and nursing home insurance) for those who can afford it? So we can continue to ride our horses, ski, and play sports.

Home health care for the aged. Hospice care for the dying.

Education, so we can all understand that one human life is not worth infinite cost–that death is a part of life, not to be feared. That humans don’t have the right to life at the expense of the community. Courses in death and dying, parenting, and basic health in all high schools. This can be paid for by de-emphasizing contact sports.

Health care is already rationed for many Americans simply because of the cost.

I have a bone to pick with the system because I’m personally uninsurable except in the State’s high risk pool–and that would cost 4 grand or so a year.

Saw last night on the news projections of a 15 percent increase in insurance costs for large companies, and up to doubling for small employers.

The system really is broke,just like the USET.

(Notice horses mentioned thrice in this post)

Not to mention that I sincerely doubt that the Taliban would just allow anyone to waltz in there and start handing out freebees and spreading good cheer. They have worked very hard to keep those people oppressed, why would they let the good 'ole US of A (“the great satan”) come in and undo all of their work?
Bin Laden has already commented how easily the US backs down… now we need to show him that we mean business.

Had I the means and time to travel right now I would. I would book international flights on American carriers. You know why? Because I think they would be safer.

Reasoning?

El Quadah has targeted America, and they’ve roused us. We will go after them, of course, they expected us to. However, what they cannot afford to do is get the whole world emotionally commited. Emotionally is the operative word. Right now, while few non-Americans have been killed, other countries can SAY they’ll support us, and most will. But if the op takes longer than expected; if clear objectives aren’t met, that support may be withdrawn.

However, if too many British citizens are killed, or Italian or German or French, those countries now have an emotional debt of blood that will ensure money and military resources will flow for as long as needs be.

For me, it’s moot since I don’t have the disposible income this week to see a movie

~Kryswyn~
“Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo”

I can vouch that trying to hang tarps in front of a run-in shed to keep the rain that is coming down in buckets from driving in can keep you really grounded in the present tense of day to day realities…of course while the sun was shining it was easy to say “we should really hang tarps one of these days, in case the rain ever decides to come from the south…” On the bright side, we found all the leaks in the shed’s roof today…Any hints on how to dry out the inside of a pair of tall Hunter Wellie boots?

While sipping hot tea afterward in front of the television, I am noticing that there isn’t much new in the news at all today…anyone catch the Afghan water-wheel piece on CNN? Talk about the stone-age (though I guess it was a fraction more advanced than that)!

Speech is free on both sides…but occasionally one side is more vocal

And I still love DMK and heidi!

And Snowbird, if you’d rather not have people call names, why don’t you please set a good example and not refer to any Dem. elected officials as “liars” and “cheats?” Us younguns need good role models.

Hm, the recycle bin looks full…

ooooh hobson - I am not worthy!

Here I was thinking “Gee… there’s a sequel to Talisman?”