BUSHvsGORE re:Horse Industry

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisa:
[B] Why make the distinction? A double-barreled shotgun can do WAY more damage than a .32…

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that’s always been my favorite suggestion for gun control. I don’t mind if someone wants a gun, but I’d want it to be a big ol’ shotgun, not a teeny tiny handgun. You can’t walk down the street hiding a shotgun in your pocket if you’re planning to go postal.

Am I remembering incorrectly, or aren’t handguns banned in some European countries?

1. Read my lips. No new taxes.

This is all very interesting. Let me hurry with a disclaimer to the effect that I am not a lawyer. That being said, here is my understanding of things: (a) Bush was convicted of drunk driving which may or may not have been a felony at that point in time in the state of Maine (lawyers on this BB please check this); (b) Bush was arrested and convicted (though whether of a felony or misdemeanor is not clear-see point a);© Bush’s record was “expunged” after a 16 year period during which there were apparently no other incidents; and (d) Bush and/or his “representative” did leave that portion of the jury form blank.

Here are my questions:

1. What does it mean to “expunge” a record? Does it mean that it is as though the offense never existed? I suspect that a lot of nonlawyers believe that that is the case.

2. Is the DUI a misdemeanor or a felony conviction? Was it so considered at the time of Bush’s arrest 24 years ago?

3. Is it the case that one cannot hold office with a felony conviction? At the State level? At the federal level? What is the source (e.g., U.S. Constitution) for this prohibition?

I’d REALLY appreciate it if some of the attorneys on this list would respond.

Thanks,

Aly

Bush is the only one we can support. I am really tired of the “Government” telling me what I should eat, what I should do and deciding who should get benefits. For example the estate tax if it is not repealed, sure there are exemptions but there are 30 pages of exceptions and definitions. How can double taxation be fair? How is it fair to tax a family just because some died? Does it really matter how much the tax would be? It’s the principle, and principle is sadly lacking in all of the Gore proposals.

Do you know that Gore flunked out of his first two colleges and finally found one where he could pass! Do you know that if the environmentalists have their way oil will be so expensive that we will save the environment by not driving and turning down our thermostats. Do you realize that the largest voter base that Gore has is the blue collar people who have never gone to college and many haven’t graduated high school? Never mine the other ethnic groups they measure. Why if these are the market share of votes that Gore can count on would he care about education. That’s why they call it the “dumbing” of America. Do you know how George bush did in school compared to Gore?

Let’s not fall into the media trap of believing all the tripe that’s flying around. Don’t forget that all the show business folks are Union people, and all the news people are Union people, therefore they are pronouncing based on their experience and opinions. There is no longer an objective reporting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumphigh83:
…Environmental changes are pretty predictable and quite cyclical.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez, Jumphigh, are you saying that as long as we keep driving our god-given gas guzzlers just like we’ve been, that the environmental changes will sort of cycle around and the ozone layer will begin to repair itself? Or that the smog will decrease? Maybe SUV’s can actually BENEFIT the planet after all! That’s great news!

Forgive me folks, I’m not facile when it comes to making use of the bold and quoting options on this board; I usually lurk. So, I’m going to indicate what’s a quote in the old-fashioned way.

“So then I guess Aly you are in favor of a slickly sophisticated and produced product. Doesn’t really matter what’s in the box. He can say anything you want to hear and that’s makes it better than a real person with some integrity and honesty to admit he’s not an expert on everything in the world but willing to delegate to those who are the experts.”

I am under no illusions when it comes to slickness – Democrat or Republican. If you honestly believe that ANY candidate for president in this day in age is not availing himself of the latest in spin doctors, media-savy advisors and what not, then, well, you’re going to be very disappointed. To me, it comes down to the lesser of two less than stellar choices.

I don’t know what profession you’re in, but in my line of business, we hire and promote based on EXPERTISE, not comfort. I am female, so let me put it to you this way: There are men you “play” with and there are men you marry. That being the case, the question becomes “Where do you want to invest your life energies and your time?” For me, there is no question — fun is fun, but we’re talking life priorities here.

“Which Al Gore do you like? The one from who lies about his pristeem views of the environment while his own money comes from a poluter of the water and ground? The one who didn’t know he was at a fund raiser in a budist temple? The one who backed up the Pres who was using cigars in a most unusual way? The one who got most of his money from the entertainment business he says is ruining the children? and on…and on…and…on!”

You know, I’m tired of both the spin doctors and those who mindlessly repeat them. If you want to know the TRUTH about Gore’s involvement in the internet, etc. go to various independent websites and read for yourself. He NEVER SAID he invented the internet. Frankly, I have to wonder what you gain from repeating that nonsense? Get another story and move on! I’m not going to try to convince you, the data is there. Read for yourself! What Gore actually said and what the RNC said he said are two very different things. Educate yourself and use the brain that God gave you.

“Did you know that Winston Churchill’s Dad thought he was so dumb that he wouldn’t trust him as the executer of the family estate? Did you know that Dwight Eisenhower chose to be President and passed people’s ideas because he already had accomplished all he needed and wanted to help others? He was aware of his image but he didn’t give a ****. He just did what was what he believed was right. And, what about Harry Truman who certainly wasn’t a genius, did that stop him from being a good President?”

[sigh] When you have the time and are willing to read and educate yourself, you’ll find that the history of the individuals you’ve mentioned is at once different and considerably more complex than your post suggests. The same is true for the current electoral campaign. All I can do is ask that we ALL be as intelligent in our choices as we can possibly be – whatever those choices are. For me, intelligence as a voter means doing your homework and reading more than the opposition’s take on a candidate. I don’t think it’s too much to ask.

More to the point, however, genius, per se, is not required to be President of these United States. Last time I looked, however, intelligence was helpful…

“None of them gave away the store for votes!”

Can’t figure out which candidate you’re talking about here as the issue of campaign financing plagues BOTH parties.

“Do you know if Gore’s grades were better? Do you know if he is anything more than parrot of the polls? Would you really like a President who has no honest opinions of his own, but has to check the polls to find out what he thinks on an issue.”

Well, actually, I KNOW about Gore’s grades and yes, they were better, but that is not the point. Polling is endemic in American politics; especially during presidential campaigns and in BOTH parties. But, that is not the issue either. Get a clue.

"Do you know if George Bush flunked any classes? Do you know if he graduated from Yale with honors? Do you know his IQ? How does it compare? Are you positive that you’re not just a victim of the media which so heavily supports Gore? Are you sure you’ve been told the truth? Are you sure you know what Al Gore really stands for and which people influence his opinions day to day! "

It is unfortunate that when one raises questions, this is the kind of response one receives. It is neither on point nor helpful. It’s rather like allowing your horse to go completely off-course (nothing jumped) and saying, “well, he still looked at the jumps, so we should win.” Last time I checked, going OVER the jumps was still important…

“Even his mother and father have not been saved from his prevarication of the details of his life. Which life is the truth?”

Hmmm. Which candidate are you referencing here?

“We’re obviously, not going to change each others minds on our priorities. I would like it though if you would consider whether or not there is a real Al Gore or is he a produced media package that you don’t know at all.”

See my earlier comment regarding media savvy campaigns. Both candidates are vivid illustrations of this problem. I’ve no clue who is the real “G.W.” just as I have no personal knowledge of Al Gore. I can only gone on their respective records – everybody “lies” during a campaign, just as everybody “lies” on a first date.

Everyone (whatever your affiliations) should read and research on their own — and not regurgitate “spins” from someone else. It’s a novel approach, but one I’d recommend. It’s also why I posed questions rather than a statement.

“If as we have all agreed the major problem today is the lack of personal responsibility for what we do, then would you prefer a guy who gets up and just says, Hey! this is me and I think I have a track record that proves I’m up to this job. What you see is what you get and you can be sure of an honest guy with integrity.”

I doubt that we have or will agree on much of anything. Further, it’s hard to place a mantle of “integrity” on any candidate in this campaign.

Read EVERYTHING not just what “your” candidate has to say and decide for yourself who’s better.

In the final analysis, I don’t have to agree with you or anybody else for that matter. That’s the beauty of this country. It’s easier, though if you’ve done your homework. This isn’t it…

Aly

[This message has been edited by Aly (edited 10-26-2000).]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spfarm:
[As some of you all grow older, and wiser, maybe you will realize that the government isn’t the next best thing to cotton candy.
[end of QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I
Sorry Spfarm as I am 44 years old very middle age and becoming more liberal with each moment. I do apologize for picking on you, but whenever you generalize (minimum age earner, young and idealistic) it just encourages me to continue to add to the post.

I’m almost beginning to hope the guy wins - the next for (I mean “four”) years could be really, well, FUNNY!

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GEORGE W. BUSH - IN HIS OWN WORDS

“I think anybody who doesn’t think I’m smart enough to handle the job is
underestimating.” - U.S. News & World Report, April 3, 2000

“I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family.” - Greater
Nashua, N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000

“When I was coming up, it was a dangerous world, and we knew exactly who the
they were. It was us vs. them, and it was clear who them was. Today we’re
not so sure who the they are, but we know they’re there.” - USA Today,
August 28, 2000

“I understand small business growth. I was one.” - New York Daily News,
Feb. 19, 2000

“The most important job is not to be governor, or first lady in my case.” -
San Antonio Express-News, January 30, 2000

“What I am against is quotas. I am against hard quotas, quotas they
basically delineate based upon whatever. However they delineate, quotas, I
think vulcanize society. So I don’t know how that fits into what everybody
else is saying, their relative positions, but that’s my position.” - Quoted
by Molly Ivins, the San Francisco Chronicle, Jan. 21, 2000

“I am a person who recognizes the fallacy of humans.” - Oprah, Sept. 19,

“As governor of Texas, I have set high standards for our public schools,
and I have met those standards.” - CNN online chat, Aug. 30, 2000

“This case has had full analyzation and has been looked at a lot. I
understand the emotionality of death penalty cases.” - Seattle
Post-Intelligencer, June 23, 2000

“The fundamental question is, ‘Will I be a successful president when it
comes to foreign policy?’ I will be, but until I’m the president, it’s
going to be hard for me to verify that I think I’ll be more effective.” -
New York Times, June 28, 2000

“The only things that I can tell you is that every case I have reviewed I
have been comfortable with the innocence or guilt of the person that I’ve
looked at. I do not believe we’ve put a guilty … I mean innocent person
to death in the state of Texas.” - All Things Considered, NPR, June 16,

“It’s clearly a budget. It’s got a lot of numbers in it.” - Reuters, May 5,

Bush: “First of all, Cinco de Mayo is not the independence day. That’s
dieciséis de Septiembre, and …”
Matthews: “What’s that in English?”
Bush: “Fifteenth of September.” (Dieciséis de Septiembre = Sept. 16)

• Hardball, MSNBC, May 31, 2000

“The fact that he relies on facts-says things that are not factual-are
going to undermine his campaign.” - New York Times, March 4, 2000

GOV. BUSH: Because the picture on the newspaper. It just seems so
un-American to me, the picture of the guy storming the house with a scared
little boy there. I talked to my little brother, Jeb-I haven’t told this
to many people. But he’s the governor of-I shouldn’t call him my little
brother-my brother, Jeb, the great governor of Texas.
JIM LEHRER: Florida.
GOV. BUSH: Florida. The state of the Florida.
-The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer, April 27, 2000

“Laura and I really don’t realize how bright our children is sometimes
until we get an objective analysis.” - Meet the Press, April 15, 2000

“I was raised in the West. The west of Texas. It’s pretty close to
California. In more ways than Washington, D.C., is close to California.” -
Los Angeles Times, April 8, 2000

“Reading is the basics for all learning.” - Announcing his “Reading First”
initiative in Reston, Va., March 28, 2000

“It’s evolutionary, going from governor to president, and this is a
significant step, to be able to vote for yourself on the ballot, and I’ll
be able to do so next fall, I hope.” - Associated Press, March 8, 2000

“The senator has got to understand if he’s going to have-he can’t have it
both ways. He can’t take the high horse and then claim the low road.” - To
reporters in Florence, S.C., Feb. 17, 2000

“We ought to make the pie higher.” - South Carolina Republican Debate, Feb.
15, 2000

“Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?” - Florence, S.C.,
Jan. 11, 2000

“This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It’s what you do
when you run for president. You gotta preserve.” - Speaking during
“Perseverance Month” at Fairgrounds Elementary School in Nashua, N.H. Los
Angeles Times, Jan. 28, 2000

[This message has been edited by Inverness (edited 11-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Inverness (edited 11-02-2000).]

Boy, is it just me folks – or has anyone else noticed Dubya’s resemblance to Howdy Doody? When I watch those commercials where he wears his cowboy shirt and speaks directly to the camera, I fully expect Buffalo Bob to jump up behind him and Clarabelle break into a lively rendition of “it’s Howdy Doody time!” Keeps me laughing all night long…

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snowbird:
[B]Bush is the only one we can support. I am really tired of the “Government” telling me what I should eat, what I should do and deciding who should get benefits.

Would it be preferable to have some gun-toting, anti-choice, execution-happy politician who decided to run for government as an afterthought pretend he isn’t making those decisions for you?

For example the estate tax if it is not repealed, sure there are exemptions but there are 30 pages of exceptions and definitions. How can double taxation be fair? How is it fair to tax a family just because some died? Does it really matter how much the tax would be? It’s the principle, and principle is sadly lacking in all of the Gore proposals.

If we’re talking about ‘principle’, consider this, there will be an estimated $15 trillion which will be passed between generations in the next few years. Of that, $5 trillion will go the (already) very wealthy. Much of American society as you know it now was built by inheritances - the rich created charitable foundations (yes, to avoid estate taxes) which took on much of the social infrastructure that you enjoy today. Think libraries, arts orgs., feeding the poor, fighting disease. That seems like a principled exercise to me. If the estate tax is repealed, all that principled activity will cease and you’ll have to count on the largesse of Bush to make up the shortfall, which he’ll do with higher taxes. BTW, if we’re complaining about a lack of work ethic among the less-than-wealthy, consider that these vast inheritances were NOT earned by the recipients.

Do you realize that the largest voter base that Gore has is the blue collar people who have never gone to college and many haven’t graduated high school? Never mine the other ethnic groups they measure. Why if these are the market share of votes that Gore can count on would he care about education. That’s why they call it the “dumbing” of America. Do you know how George bush did in school compared to Gore?

This is so ridiculous it’s almost funny. George double-u’s education was, as much of his life, an afterthought. I think the implication that only white college grads are qualified to vote is a scary one.

Let’s not fall into the media trap of believing all the tripe that’s flying around. Don’t forget that all the show business folks are Union people, and all the news people are Union people, therefore they are pronouncing based on their experience and opinions. There is no longer an objective reporting.

As a bystander to the American election, it’s rather curious that I as a Canadian have read more and more closely followed the impending American elections than many Americans, including the white college grads. If you’re concerned about the ‘dumbing of America’, given Bush’s education record in Texas, seems to me you’re supporting the wrong guy.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by heidi (edited 10-20-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hobson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockstar:

The BOTTOM LINE here is that the Republican Party has grown extremely
conservative.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey rockstar, I appreciate your efforts and while I’m voting for Ralph, who is unfortunately the most tedious public speaker in the world, I’m secretly rooting for Gore. But I just don’t buy your New Democrat line. It’s just code for the process in which the D-party is moving steadily to the right, adopting more and more Republican-type positions. Heck, one of the several reasons the Repubs hate Clinton so much is that he keeps stealing their material! I’m thinking of welfare reform, reduction of the federal gov’t, and stuff like that bizarre Defense of Marriage Act that he supported (I keep asking my gay/lesbian pals when and how they plan to destroy my marriage, but they promise me that their insidious attack will be a surprise one). And as to your argument that the Republicans won’t play fair in Congress, I’d bet that the Dems on the federal debate commission fully cooperated in keeping Nader and Buchanan out of the presidential debates(correct me if I’m wrong on this) - doesn’t seem much like sharing, does it? The further to the right everyone shifts, the fewer choices we’ll have in future elections, and the political discourse will become dangerously narrow. So, if your party won’t allow a multi-party electoral system, can’t you guys at least resurrect some of those Old Democrats?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi there!  Thanks so much for reading it! I have a lot to say about these things, (if that is not obvious by now than it sure will be in just a moment)!   [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

No, I will not deny that the dems played just as big a role as the repubs in keeping buchanan and nader out of the debates.  However, I don't really understand how that relates to the repubs not playing fair in congress.  I guess I could link them because it is all based on the same bad principle of keeping those against you out of the game entirely.  I, unfortunately, don't really know what to say on that one... only that it seems a lot worse to have the congresisonal repubs overlook and completely ignore the congresisonal democrats (who represent such a large portion of the american public) than to have both parties shut out the green party and the reform parties... two parties that collectivelly encapsulate such a small percentage of the american public... not a great argument... I know!

Now... onto the whole New Democrat thing.  I don't want to write and write and write like I did before... so please allow me to direct you to a few quotes and websites that basically sum up how the New Dems came into existance, where they are taking the Democratic Party, and how they fit into the politcal spectrum.

And before I do all of that, I would just like to say that I think the most beautiful aspect of my party is that it is so diverse… going from the most liberal (Senators Paul Wellstone and Ted Kennedy and Congresswoman Maxine Waters) to the most conservative (Senators Joe Lieberman and Diane Feinstein, Congresswoman Ellen Tauscher, etc). Where as the Republican leaders (like haster, armey, and delay)mostly all come from one spot on the political spectrum (hard right), Domocratic leaders like Gephardt and Gore and Clinton and Rangle and Bonior come from all sorts of differect perspectives. We represent so many points of views and ideas… it is our best aspect… but the most detrimental aspect too… party unification is a huge problem. Nonetheless, we are all of us proud Democrats… with the same bedrock Democratic values.

Ok… so, ANYWAY…

1. here is a quote from the Democratic Leadership Council’s website (the DLC heads the “New Democrat Movement”) http://www.dlcppi.org

"The Democratic Leadership Council is an idea center, catalyst, and national voice for a reform movement that is reshaping American politics by moving it beyond the old left-right debate. Under the leadership of co-founder and President Al From, the DLC seeks to define and galvanize popular support for a new public philosophy built on progressive ideals, mainstream values, and innovative, non bureaucratic, market-based solutions. At its heart are three principles: promoting opportunity for all; demanding responsibility from everyone; and fostering a new sense of community.

Since its inception, the DLC has championed policies from spurring private sector economic growth, fiscal discipline and community policing to work based welfare reform, expanded international trade, and national service.

Throughout the 90’s, innovative, New Democrat policies implemented by former DLC Chairman President Bill Clinton have helped produce the longest period of sustained economic growth in our history, the lowest unemployment in a generation, 22 million new jobs, cut the welfare rolls in half, reduced the crime rate for seven straight years, balanced the budget and streamlined the federal bureaucracy to its smallest size since the Kennedy administration.

Now, with the help of Chairman Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT), the DLC is promoting new ideas – such as a second generation of environmental protection and new economy and technology development strategies – at the local, state, and national levels, working through a national network of reformers and practitioners, and offering an approach to governing that is distinctly different from traditional liberalism and conservatism to build the next generation of America’s leaders. "

I would suggest that everyone on this thread take a look at a October, 1999 speech that Bill Clinton gave at a fundraising dinner held by an organization (the New Democrat Network) that I worked… it was not only a good speech but it REALLY addresses so many of the issues and perspectives that have been brought up so far on this thread… summing up a lot…

The whole speech is located here: http://www2.newdem.org/news/10071999.shtml

And here is an important part of that speech (taken somewhat out of context… so I really urge you to look at the whole thing):

"I just want to make a few points as we look to that future. First of all, in 1992, when I went out to the people in New Hampshire and all these other states and into the country, and asked then-Senator Gore to join me, and we said, look, we’ve got this vision of America in the 21st century, we want this to be a country where everybody who is responsible enough to work for it has opportunity, where no matter how diverse we get, we’re still coming together in one community, where we’re still the world’s leading force for peace and freedom and prosperity.

We want to take this opportunity, responsibility, community agenda and come up with concrete policies and ideas to get the economy moving again, to bring the crime rate down, to bring the welfare rolls down, to empower poor people, to get more young people into college, to raise the standards of our schools and have more choice and competition there.

We’ve got some ideas. Give us a chance. And all we were doing is making an argument. And against our argument, what the Republicans said was what they’ve been saying about Democrats for 30 years – you know, they’re too liberal, you can’t trust them with your money, they’ll raise your taxes, they never met a government program they didn’t like, they sleep next to a bureaucratic pile of rules at night, you know, they wouldn’t defend the country if their life depended on it. You know, you’ve heard all that stuff.

They had this sort of cardboard cutout image of Democrats that they tried to paste on every candidate’s face at election time. But all we had was an argument. And things were sufficiently bad in this country, the economy was in terrible shape, the society was divided, the crime rate and the welfare rolls were exploding, and people decided to take a chance on the argument.

And then we set about trying to turn this country around and make some very tough decisions. And some of our members paid very dearly for it for the '93 economic plan, to turn this country around, for voting for the Brady Bill and the crime bill, to bring the crime rate down. They paid dearly. But we kept chugging along.

And about four years later, the people decided to give us a – they renewed our lease because they could feel things were beginning to change. And then in ‘98, we had an historic victory in the congressional elections because we had an agenda to keep building on. We said, now give us a chance to save Social Security and pass a patients’ bill of rights and build and modernize schools. Give us a chance to do some things that will really make a difference here."

I, personally, am a New Democrat because I see their philosphy as the only one that will get anything done in poltics and result in meaningful, non-partisan legislation. It’s not necesarily that I am not a good ol’ liberal at heart who screams “tax em’, tax em, tax em’” and who wants to see every citizen of this country have a good and decent life… because I AM one of those people… but, alas, the people on the extremes don’t tend to get very far and I see the centrist path as the one that is, ultimately, more rewarding.

Ok… that’s my New Domocrat propoganda for ya! Hope that helped Hobson???

Yeesh… am I going a little overboard here or what???

[This message has been edited by rockstar (edited 10-22-2000).]

i am not going to get into a discussion of my personal politics, and i hope erin doesn’t think of this as advertising, but i thought since this was such a hot thread i should post the URL for the web site I worked on this summer for public television: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/choice2000/

FRONTLINE broadcast a 2 hour documentary that was basically biographies of the two candidates, and you can watch it on the web site, plus there are a lot of other resources that try to untangle what their true positions are on a variety of topics, including the tax issue, the military and lots of others. for those of you who are really interested, it’s worth exploring, if I do say so myself. and i believe it is an unbiased evaluation–we do not take a stand on the candidates, just try to provide information for those who want it. one thing that many people have found helpful is a quiz that you can take about your own political beliefs that then tells you how closely you line up with the candidates’ position. I was surprised at the results, when I took it myself.

any feedback on the site is appreciated…

(and for the record, i am a member of the liberal media and am in fact a member of a union. that doesn’t mean that i can’t maintain journalistic objectivity)

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Twister:
[B] The list of things that would fall under such a category is endless. Would you give up your car? What about your right to have a swimming pool?

[This message has been edited by Twister (edited 10-29-2000).][/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for replying, Twister! Actually, I would stop at guns, because of their distinctive nature as an item that is designed for the specific purpose of causing injury. A swimming pool is primarily for pleasure, not destruction, so I can handle the inherent risks in swimming. I’m a swimmer, in fact. I guess I make an ethical distinction based on the essential nature of the object in question. In terms of the domestic violence thing, I know that if you’ve got a restraining order, no gun for you. Good point. But I’m also talking about the DV perps who are not in the system - only a fraction of DV victims manage to get orders in place, for various reasons (their movement is limited by the perp, cops don’t take them seriously, etc). I don’t feel safe knowing that these sorts of brutes can have all the guns they care to.

The other bit of the pro-gun argument that troubles me is the one that says that sales will go underground if guns are restricted, and only bad people will have access. As things are now, the guns owned by bad people were tranferred legally at some point in their provenance. Here in Philly, there’s a big market in which legal people with no record buy large numbers of handguns and resell them to bad people who have felony convictions. It’s the primary source of handguns for gangs and such. Imagine italics here: the legal gun market is where bad people’s guns originally come from. So when legal aquisition is limited, so is the supply of guns available to felons.

And rockstar, you are TWIDDLING your thumbs. Twiddling.

[This message has been edited by hobson (edited 10-29-2000).]

From George Mason University in Fairfax, VA. Killing time for fun and profit!

The George Mason Battle of the Political
Prognosticators contest is underway and the
deadline to enter is Tuesday, Nov. 7, at 6 a.m. The
contest contains two parts: predicting the number of
electoral votes received by the presidential
candidates, and predicting the winners of the U.S.
Senate races. The tie-breaker will be to predict the
partisan makeup of the House of Representatives.

The contest is sponsored by the Department of
          Public and International Affairs and is free and open
          to everyone. Mason students are competing for
          prizes, but the overall winner will be acknowledged
          regardless of his or her status. Student prizes are
          $75 for first place and $50 for second place in the
          senate race contest, and $50 for first place and $25
          for second place in the presidential electoral vote
          contest.

Predictions are submitted on the Battle of the
          Political Prognosticators web site: <a href="http://classweb.gmu.edu/skeeter/senate2000/senate2000.htm">http://classweb.gmu.edu/skeeter/senate2000/senate2000.htm</a> 

The site is informative, with several links to help people
          research their choices. For more information,
          contact Joel Clark at 703-993-1415.

Thanks, Mariner.

I took the liberty of following Jumphigh’s suggestion of talking to “someone who was THERE” and emailed my mother-in-law who grew up in Berlin during the war. She emailed me right back with some highly uncomplimentary things to say about American education. She further pointed out that Germans who remember those times with sorrow DO compare some American party positions to fascism - and it’s not the democratic party.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMK:
[B]VT -

For all you people who are eternally amused by politics in a cynical sort of fashion, here is the queen of comentary, Molly Ivins. The article will change daily, but today’s is REALLY funny. Oh, and as a person who was very close to the legislative history on this particular subject, she ain’t stretchin’ the truth…
http://www.star-telegram.com/columnist/ivins2.htm [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dearly love Molly Ivins! Ya’ll have gotta read this one!! LOLOLOLOL

The USSR stank as a communist nation, but it really went down the toilet when they instituted a market economy and democratic processes. Citizens have less money than before, press freedom is still nonexistent, and crime has gone through the roof. Whoops!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hobson:
…Heck, the Republicans have mobilized very effectively in congress to block many of Clinton’s and the democrats’ initiatives. The democrats can do the same…<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Keep in mind that the Republicans rule Congress, being in the majority in both the House and Senate. The Democratic President and VP lend to a balance of power. And the Vice President’s vote breaks ties in the Senate.

However much the Democrats in Congress mobilize, they don’t have a majority. If a Republican President & VP are voted in, it’ll be Republican policy all the way.

Imagine italics here: the legal gun market is where bad people’s guns originally come from. So when legal aquisition is limited, so is the supply of guns available to felons.

Hobson- Got to disagree on gun control. Prohibition never works ~ look at drugs! Junkie does not say, OK, heroin is illegal, I’d best get my high off beer. He goes to rich drug dealer and illegaly buys heroin.

Robber doesn’t say “oops, I can’t use a gun, I’d better learn karate.”…He goes and buys a gun illegaly, from someone more than happy to take a risk for the good financial return.

I say keep 'em legal, but add accountabilty. You’re kid shoots someone w/ your gun, you go to jail. Require training. Have licenses. Use tracking devices etc.etc. Prohibition just keeps them out of the recreational users hands.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Inverness:
[B]
“When I was coming up, it was a dangerous world, and we knew exactly who the
they were. It was us vs. them, and it was clear who them was. Today we’re
not so sure who the they are, but we know they’re there.” - USA Today,
August 28, 2000

[This message has been edited by Inverness (edited 11-02-2000).][/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Image,
but THAT is HYSTERICAL!