BUSHvsGORE re:Horse Industry

Bush backers be careful what you wish for…Do you agree with all the Republican stances?

Nader supporters, study the Republican stance on EVERY issue, 'cause that’s what we’ll have if enough independents vote for Nader - i.e. enough votes for Nader will result in President Dubya

[This message has been edited by Bertie (edited 10-26-2000).]

LOL, Hobson, you crack me up.
I guess I am a little strange being an adament supporter of the right to bear arms. Oh well. Look, to all you who are actually afraid they’ll somehow take away your right to have a gun, well, don’t worry. The NRA is a strong lobbying organization ~ I seriously doubt that the election of Gore, or someone even more liberal (Nader) is going to make guns illegal. It will never happen. BTW, I don’t have a gun. They scare me. I have a big dog. He scares a lot of gun owners.
At any rate, has anyone noticed that Bush takes Gores ideas, makes 'em cheaper, and calls Gore a liar? It looks to me like Bush is a copycat…without the ability to have an original thought.
Do you republicans agree with Bushes programs? They look a whole lot like Clinton/Gore ideas? or is Bush being insincere? Think my friends, think hard.

OK Inverness… I’ll take your quotes, and add these gems (kind of makes me remember all the enjoyment I received from the Quayle Vice Presidency)

“If we don’t succeed, we run the risk of failure.”
…George W. Bush, Jr.

“Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr.

“Welcome to Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts.”

“Mars is essentially in the same orbit…Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 8/11/94

“The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation’s history. I mean in this century’s history. But we all lived in this century. I didn’t live in this century.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 9/15/95

“I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 5/22/98

“One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Governor, and that one word is ‘to be prepared’.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 12/6/93

“Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 11/30/96

“I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future.”

“The future will be better tomorrow.”

“We’re going to have the best educated American people in the world.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 9/21/97

“People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.”

“I stand by all the misstatements that I’ve made.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr. to Sam Donaldson, 8/17/93

“We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe.”

“Public speaking is very easy.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr. to reporters

“I am not part of the problem. I am a Republican”

“A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls.”

"When I have been asked who caused the riots and the killing in LA, my answer has been direct & simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame.
…George W. Bush, Jr.

“Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having it.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 5/20/96

“We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 9/22/97

“For NASA, space is still a high priority.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 9/5/93

“Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children.”
…Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 9/18/95

“The American people would not want to know of any misquotes that George Bush may or may not make.”

“We’re all capable of mistakes, but I do not care to enlighten you on the mistakes we may or may not have made.”

“It isn’t pollution that’s harming the environment. It’s the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.”

“[It’s] time for the human race to enter the solar system.”

Wow, from abortion, to adoption, to Utah and Waco. What a thread.

Sannois (unlike pwynn I have no idea what that means) I get the feeling you support the people trying to start cults and counter cultures in this country. You want the benefits of living in the USA, but don’t want to contribute to what makes this country what it is. Am I right? Do you want your little place in the woods and the right not to be bothered by the “government”. Well, if you couldn’t use anything created, paid for, run by, the government you would have a lonly life.

Thanks Inverness, I too received that em a few days ago. Too true.

Actually Smedley-
Those are facts and they have been researched. Al Gore has never denied saying any of the things I have posted above and in many cases has HAD TO APOLOGIZE for saying them! I am concerned by a candidate who will make up things just to make himself look better.

These facts were taken from the an article written by the Internet News Bureau. You can check it out yourself, it is an article entitled Al Gore and his 21 lies.

Oh, and the internet lie is one of many, any excuses for the others?

Oh, and I know the difference between lying and exagerating-just like I know what the definition of “is” is.

[This message has been edited by Ash (edited 10-23-2000).]

Aly, you go girl!

Snowbird, don’t send me a letter bomb about this, but, geezum, woman–WOMAN! Are you really willing to let those relatively minor matters sway you over such things as a woman’s right to choose? What happens if we lose that right? Tell me that, friend? What happens to us when we lose the freedom to go out into the world and do what we want to do, when, where and how we so choose? And what about those unwanted children? Aly makes a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE point when she asks what Bush (and other pro-lifers) plan to do about those poor kids.

You probably got up in arms when I used the term “minor” above. But given that ALL politicians (and bureaucrats, and every day people, too) are similar in that vein.

Are we forgetting the parallels between Clinton and Kennedy? What about Nixon? What’s worse, after all? What REALLY matters to the people? I’m forced to NOT declare my horses as property in this state because if I did, I’d have to pay a huge amount of property taxes on them. Does that make me some awful person? The system is flawed and forces less-than-flattering behavior upon its participants–ALL of its participants.

As Aly has said, don’t be fooled by spin and the angles the media chooses to pursue. If the media were responsible, it would ignore the minor stuff about who is the better orator and who’s elementary school teacher thought more highly of them, yada, yada. Instead, it would focus on who is getting money from whom and what are the real differences between the candidates…and it would do so CONSTANTLY, instead of just here and there on a slow news day.

And, finally, this is a no-brainer election, really. If more people got out and voted, Gore would win hands down, with Nader coming in second simply because there are more of the poor than the rich. That isn’t to say that’s a GOOD thing, mind you. But it is a fact. You cannot, cannot, cannot say that Bush is the champion of the masses.

[Oh, just one more thing. I made little of this above, but to me, personally, it’s extremely important: I will PUKE if Bush ends up representing this country to the world speaking like some ignorant hick. At the very least, should the Fates (and Nader) manage to get him into office, I do hope he takes lessons in diction.

To my mind, the way he presents himself verbally would be almost as embarassing to country as Clinton’s affair–and the world would be snickering about it for even longer than Clinton’s debacle (which, world-wide, actually had little impact and was, hard-to-believe-as-it-may-be, looked upon with amusement and even some admiration by certain chauvanistic world leaders. I don’t think the rich boy who can’t even speak well is going to get anywhere near the same reception.]

I drove by the NRA headquarters building last evening and noticed that they’d changed the “NRA” sign on the building to an “NRA Sports” sign.

Cute PR, but who the bloody hell do they think they’re fooling?

[This message has been edited by Inverness (edited 10-30-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumphigh83:
But Goerge Bush is the one they call dumb!!! I believe pathological is the word one might apply to Algore. Aren’t we all lucky that he invented the internet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jumphigh83,
Go to the CNN website and look at the actual transcript of the interview with Gore. The interviewer was journalist Wolf Blitzer. I believe it was recorded in April, 1999, but I’m not 100% certain.

You will see in the transcript that what Gore actually said was; “When I was in the Congress, I took the initiative in inventing the Internet.” It is obvious from the context of the interview that Gore was speaking of his role as a legislator.

Newt Gingrich recently affirmed that Gore played the key Congressional role in assuring that the development of the, then nascent, Internet was allowed to proceed without undue legislative or regulatory interference.

Obviously, Gore would’ve been a lot better off if he had chosen his words more carefully in responding to Blitzer’s question. Its just that Gore’s gaffs are nowhere NEAR as funny as Dubya’s.

Besides, I think I’d rather a politician tell me anecdotal fibs about the cost of his dog’s prescription medication than try and tell me he was instrumental in passing a state Patient’s Bill of Rights that he actually did everything in his power to kill. (Ooooh that was a good run-on sentence!) Does Dubya think that people don’t read? Well, yah, maybe that’s what he’s counting on!

Ahhh, enough said. I must be off now to inch my way through the traffic on the beltway and listen for more fodder from today’s campaigning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snowbird:

That’s what I meant earlier, the “left” is any group that attempts to control others and force them to live by their rules and permits no individual preferences of opinions.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
So, by your definition, anti-abortion activists are the “left”.

So are those that want to re-introduce prayer in public schools.

Very interesting.

Gore.

STOP IT YOU GUYS! My husband now wants to rename Bill (formerly Right Wing Conspiracy) Mommy Poo Pants. A highly undignified name for a hard-working Belgian gelding.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spfarm:

A few questions to our liberal friends here…we are all friends aren’t we?
Taxes - Why do you think it’s fair to tax people at higher rates when they make more money? Why should only a select few get tax relief and not all?

Because those of us who make more can AFFORD to pay more. If my taxes go up 5% I am not going to be forced to chose between buying food and going to the doctor.

I am in the top tax bracket, but I think those in the lower tax brackets need it more than I do. Yes, it is a bit annoying when I do my taxes- I make too much for that deduction, can’t take that credit, etc., but I truly think that those who can AFFORD to pay more SHOULD pay more.

Aboriton - Why should our taxes go to “Planned Parenthood” to perform abortions? Especially since there’s more than one our two of us out in this world who are against it. Sure a woman can do what she wants with her body and she can have an abortion if she wants, but it should be done through private enterprise and not with government help.

AFAIK, Planned Parenthood doesn’t perform abortions. It educates people on the options.

If abortions are legal, why should only rich people be allowed to have them. If you are worried about “funding” abortions, it is highly likely that a higher proportion of your health insurance premium is paying for abortions than the proportion of your taxes.
Social Security - Why shouldn’t we be able to keep a little more of the SS tax to put away for our retirement? It IS our money!!!

FIRST -Social Security EXISTS as a safety net to protect (among others) people who lost all their money in the stock market crash. The whole POINT of Social Security is to be very safe, very low risk. That means it will not “grow” as much in “good times”, but it won’t evaporate in “bad times” the way your money in the stock market may.

Second - it isn’t “your money”. It was never intended as an insurance scheme. In effect you are paying your Social Security tax in order to live in the world where even the elderly who did not have the means or inclanation to save, or who made bad investment decisions are not totally destitute.

Choices - Why shouldn’t parents be able to choose what school there child could go to? How many of you were bussed across your city back in the 60’s and 70’s only to have a school across the street where you lived?
Parents certainly CAN, and should be able to choose what schools their children go to. But the government shouldn’t pay for it. Your school taxes are paid so that you live in a world in which ALL of the population receives an education. It is (IMHO) criminal to TAKE MONEY AWAY from the public education system to fund private schools.

Guns - Why do you want to take guns away from us?

I don’t want to take guns away from any responsible owners. But I DO want to make sure that the criminal and the insane don’t have guns. Why should it be easier to own a gun than a car?

OK, that’s enough for a start. Have at it!!!
And remember, we’re all one big happy country here!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

STill friends, but you DID ask.

I am reassured that whatever way it goes I am safe then as a Grey Panther, and a preserver of the open spaces. Thank you I feel so much better.

You see we really can agree!

“Why did the chicken cross the road?”

VICE PRESIDENT GORE
I fight for the chickens and I am fighting for the chickens right now. I
will not give up on the chickens crossing the road! I will fight for the
chickens and I will not disappoint them.

GOVERNOR GEORGE W. BUSH
I don’t believe we need to get the chickens across the road. I say give the

road to the chickens and let them decide. The government needs to let go of
strangling the chickens so they can get across the road.

SENATOR LIEBERMAN
I believe that every chicken has the right to worship their God in their
own
way. Crossing the road is a spiritual journey and no chicken should be
denied the right to cross the road in their own way.

SECRETARY CHENEY
Chickens are big-time because they have wings. They could fly if they
wanted
to. Chickens don’t want to cross the road. They don’t need help crossing
the road. In fact, I’m not interested in crossing the road myself.

RALPH NADER
Chickens are misled into believing their is a road by the evil tiremakers.
Chickens aren’t ignorant, but our society pays tiremakers to create the
need
for these roads and then lures chickens into believing there is an
advantage
to crossing them. Down with the roads, up with chickens.

PAT BUCHANAN
To steal a job from a decent, hardworking American.

JERRY FALWELL
Because the chicken was gay! Isn’t it obvious? Can’t you people see the
plain truth in front of your face? The chicken was going to the “other
side.” That’s what "they"call it-the “other side.” Yes, my friends, that
chicken is gay. And, if you eat that chicken, you will become gay too. I

say we boycott all chickens until we sort out this abomination that the
liberal media whitewashes with seemingly harmless phrases like “the other
side.” That chicken should not be free to cross the road. It’s as plain
and
simple as that.

BILL CLINTON
I did not cross the road with THAT chicken. What do you mean by “chicken”?

Could you define “chicken” please?

GEORGE BUSH
I don’t think I should have to answer that question.

DR. SEUSS
Did the chicken cross the road?
Did he cross it with a toad?
Yes! The chicken crossed the road,
but why it crossed, I’ve not been told!

ERNEST HEMINGWAY
To die. In the rain.

MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.
I envision a world where all chickens will be free to cross without having
their motives called into question.

GRANDPA
In my day, we didn’t ask why the chicken crossed the road. Someone told us
that the chicken crossed the road, and that was good enough for us.

ARISTOTLE
It is the nature of chickens to cross the road.

KARL MARX
It was a historical inevitability.

SADDAM HUSSEIN
This was an unprovoked act of rebellion and we were quite justified in
dropping 50 tons of nerve gas on it.

RONALD REAGAN
What chicken?

CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK
To boldly go where no chicken has gone before.

FOX MULDER
You saw it cross the road with your own eyes. How many more chickens have
to
cross before you believe it?

FREUD
The fact that you are at all concerned that the chicken crossed the road
reveals your underlying sexual insecurity.

BILL GATES
I have just released eChicken 2000, which will not only cross roads, but
will lay eggs, file your important documents, and balance your checkbook
-and Internet Explorer is an inextricable part of eChicken.

EINSTEIN
Did the chicken really cross the road or did the road move beneath the
chicken?

LOUIS FARRAKHAN
The road, you will see, represents the black man. The chicken crossed the
“black man” in order to trample him and keep him down.

THE BIBLE
And God came down from the heavens, and He said unto the chicken, “Thou
shalt cross the road.” And the chicken crossed the road, and there was much

rejoicing.

COLONEL SANDERS
I missed one?

hiedi honey…I am not your sweetie, and please do, take offense… I am all over you guys and your IGNORANCE to the obvious. Go vote Algore. Sin in haste…repent in leisure. BYE.
The ugly (but REAL) American

[This message has been edited by Jumphigh83 (edited 11-06-2000).]

GO BUSH!!!

For me, this is really a religous issue, I am a devout Roman Catholic, and of course, pro-life. People are saying, “Shouldn’t a woman be able to choose if she wants an abortion.” Well, she had the choice to hop in bed without protection with some guys she’ll never see again so I’m guessing NO.

Just a thought for you who plan on having no kids. Who’s going to take care of you when you get old if you have no kids? Answer…someone else’s kids.
Kids are a good thing!

You know, I’ve been reading these posts over the past week or so-- with amusement and pride.

I have my views. And, they’re not always accepted by everyone I run across. But, I also feel that I am a very lucky person. I live in a country where I am free to speak my mind, and others are free to disagree with me (much like the discussion on this board)

Granted, I wholeheartedly disagree with the rhetoric splashed to one side of this board (aly, rockstar, etc). But, I also respect the thought and vigor with which these posts were crafted.

Thank you for your thoughts, and thank you for your passion. Continue speaking to your neighbors (especially you Bush supporters ) about what your views are-- and challenge them to speak out for themselves.

I knew I loved the horse world and every creature in it-- this is just one more reason.

P.S. Go George W.!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duffy:
Ok, what’s cappicola???
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cappicola is a yummy, hot -n- spicy Italian deli ham. An essential ingredient of any Italian hoagie that’s worth eating.

Now, as to Primanti’s, a signature Pittsburgh treasure – brace yourself here: their claim to fame is their sandwiches (of many varieties other than cappicola, including roast beef, tuna, cheese, ham, corned beef, etc) upon which coleslaw and french fries (both uniquely Primanti’s made) are sqashed right onto the sandwich. I know what you’re thinking: sounds just like heaven, eh?