Buying from Bowie “kill pen”?

This gorgeous little girl will have you wrapped around her hoof in five minutes despite you wanting to protect your (big) heart. I am loving her already from thousands of miles away!
That’s one very sweet face and adoring look in the pic where she’s looking at you.
Once you’ve named her, could she have her own thread?

10 Likes

The more I read this suggestion, the more I like it. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Done.

14 Likes

Am I the only person thinking this mare is cute, but not terribly Andalusian looking?

2 Likes

She looks like my Andalusian bay gelding. Not all of them are grey. Hope she found a soft landing.

1 Like

Not at all! I love her. Looked at her last night. She looks like she could go in any direction and do well.

1 Like

I do often wonder with these lots, where the breed designation comes from at times.
But yes breeds do vary quite a bit often.

1 Like

Did I mention anything about colour? Don’t think so. Just the shape of her head looks more like a QH, than the more noble profile of the Spanish breeds, and the way her neck comes out more level than most Andalusians I’ve watched videos of at various ages. They aren’t a breed common around here with the horse people I know, so I’d gladly be proven wrong instead of being told that they aren’t all grey.

2 Likes

When I was a teen, 3 colts were dumped off in a pasture that was behind the place where I boarded. The details are fuzzy but I think they were payment on some deal between traders. One was a bright cherry sorrell with loads of chrome and a terrible U shaped flap of skin laid back on his nose from some wreck. It was almost 2" wide, like he’d crashed into angle iron. It was attached only at the bottom, lower than where a halter would sit. My BO and I got it cleaned up as best we could and put a big ass bandaid on it, never thinking it would work. It did. That flap healed and he had a scar, but it looked remarkably good. We called him Band Aid, he was a sweet guy. I’ve always wondered where he ended up. We laughed that if he was a good horse someone doted on that flap never would’ve made it :joy:

4 Likes

My Andalusian was a breeding stallion in California and sired good conformation and temperament babies. He’s a FEI trained schoolmaster. Sorry you took offense to the color reference as my experience is that most of the individuals who do not know him are surprised to learn not all are grey. The mare looks like a more modern type moving away from that noble profile and baroque conformation.

1 Like

Something about the hind leg and the way she wings a little in front reminds me of Andalusian. However her croup is a little sloping and her neck lower set like a Quarter Horse. So maybe a grade Azteca - QH Andie cross?

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking as a possible, but couldn’t remember Azteca!

2 Likes

Someone on the Horse Brands FB page bought one of the standardbreds and is tracking him down. It’s really nice to see on that facebook page how many people are getting horses out of Bowie, hopefully good homes but not on a truck to MX at least. If they’ve ID’d him correctly he’s extremely well bred, Albatross and Matt’s Scooter is his sire.

7 Likes

@gradytb here is the thread :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Really pretty and well put together mustangs at Bowie.
Someone save me from myself. This guy is so neat.

https://www.bowietexaslivestock.com/product/2646-bay-roan-mustang-gelding/

ETA: he just sold, I am temporarily safe. Here is another nice guy…

Heinz_57’s recent intriguing purchase makes these even more attractive. I must confess once again I have been bit by the color bug. :joy:

6 Likes

that is a nice looking basic model. Could probable do most anything a person wants to try. Looks like some solid legs. talking about the #2658

2 Likes

I agree! I am no mustang expert but he does look nicely conformed and sure is pretty and seems pretty quiet, though you never know, of course!

PS - what kind of accent does that guy have in the video?

2 Likes

Dont know for sure. I assume a regional Tx?

1 Like

Irish…tamed down with a touch of Texas. :joy: According to the About section of the Bowie website the family moved here from Ireland in 2006.

ETA: there are some nice looking, young DHH (no papers, of course) on there right now. And a few nice looking TBs as well.

3 Likes

That 2658 is a good looking horse that has internalized his anxiety. He’s scared but holding it together. Don’t misread as quiet what is packaged up fear.

5 Likes