Buying from Bowie “kill pen”?

That’s what it sounded like to me! I was so confused!

I don’t doubt the poor horse is terrified… but I’d rather have a packaged fear than an explosion. I feel awful for these horses… even moreso for the ones bound for the truck that don’t even get a second chance.

2 Likes

I’m not saying this well. He might explode. He’s sucking it up and being careful, and I’m not saying he’s watchy. I am saying he’s being thoughtful but one errant walmart bag might be just the ticket to explosive.

5 Likes

He is CUTE!

2 Likes

My trainer has 2 like this. They’re quiet and fine with everything until they’re not. Or at least they seem like they’re fine when really the anxiety is building and compressing into a ticking time bomb. It’s like riding a bomb with a long fuse- sooner or later it’s gonna go off. What I’ve learned is the internalized anxiety types generally speaking seem to have small tells and signs that are very easy to miss unless the rider/handler knows the horse well. It reminds me of a Warwick Schiller video where he talks about horse anxiety and spooking and too many rabbits as a euphemism. (Sorry if that makes no sense, I didn’t fully grok that particular video)
Anyway this guy is a cutie and I can’t really judge but it seems like he might be the same inner-anxiety type that if pressed too hard or too fast will go kablewy. The key with these kind seems to be let them see the pace they learn at and just work with the horse slow and steady?

1 Like

Andalusian alert! This mare is gorgeous!

https://www.bowietexaslivestock.com/product/☘️2875☘️-fancy-andalusian-bucking-mare/

Will someone here PLEASE buy her so I can live vicariously through pictures and not ruin my marriage?

1 Like

She is stunning, and oh so scared. :sleepy:

2 Likes

That is a really pretty mare! Looks to have been cared for well until recently and still not a skinny mess. Looks to maybe be herdbound and that is why she doesn’t want to leave the other mares. Probably to be expected if thrown out in a field and not handled much and can be fixed.

3 Likes

Possibly in foal, so whomever buys her should be prepared for that situation.

2 Likes

I was like hmm not a great way to advertise her but at least they’re honest! Guess they meant buckSKIN though. :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes they do. It says buckskin in the actual add when you open it, but the link did catch my eye too. LOL She is lovely though.

1 Like

:joy: You could tell me a laundry list of vices and I would still add her to my cart, were the fossils not living.

2 Likes

People do raise a lot of bucking horses, especially in TX, and then sell the ones that stop bucking or never did, or probably age out. I follow that Horse Brands page and lots of ex-bucking horses are on there but they don’t usually use the “ex” in the description, just “bucking horse out of TX” for example.

ETA I just looked at her and omg, she’s gorgeous and not bearing the many brands of a bucking stock horse, just a pretty buckskin, my favorite. And “Out Of Stock”… I hope the best for her!

2 Likes

I’d be tempted too if she weren’t in Texas and I live in eastern Ontario, Canada and I’m holding out for a QH. The shipping would make her too expensive for this kid. I almost pulled the trigger on a black 2YO QH last year, but the shipping from Kansas scared me off (besides the fact that I haven’t been riding enough the last couple of years to justify buying a baby. My daughter later managed to get a horse from Ohio to Ontario with no problem. Next time I decide to buy I’m letting her arrange shipping.

1 Like

Yeah, they aren’t usually Andalusians though. Most look like they have a little draft horse mixed in.

Don’t know if you have any in your area but have you considered a rope horse? They’re broke to death, exposed to all sorts of chaos and generally are soundly built. Some of them get sour on the rope and are offered as family horses. Generally speaking, they are not doing any sort of work that would cause unsoundness that would affect their use as a general riding horse.

Yep! We weren’t the only ones admiring her. I hope she goes to a home that won’t dump her. She was definitely one of the nicest horses I have seen on that website and in pretty good physical shape too. If her brain is not fried and she is sound I bet somebody could put some training in and end up with a really fancy horse.

1 Like

Right? Maybe if you’re breeding roughstock for rodeos a fancy bucking mare (or fancy, bucking mare) would be a draw.

1 Like

Are you responding to me? If so I’m looking for more of a show horse model, I love a horse that can do a bit of everything. Otherwise I’d hope for an off track Standardbred like my dearly departed Moe if I just wanted to trail ride.

1 Like

Sort of weird for a buckskin Andalusian to end up there…she was buckskin, right? I missed the ad.
Usually buckskin Andalusians carry a decent price tag. I’ve looked at many over the years. I wonder how/why she ended up there. I hope she found a soft landing. It’s so easy to mentally fry these types.

1 Like

well while we’re debating we missed this one! New Vocations.
I sure hope that someone who know what they.re doing got this one.

5 Likes