Unlimited access >

California Chrome- Is he really THAT good?

I’ve been watching and following the Derby, Preakness and Belmont for years at this point and year after year. It used to go something like I’d watch the contenders back when they were two year olds and just scout for that one horse that I thought was going to be THE HORSE to win all three races. But year after year I’ve been thoroughly disappointed. First with Smarty Jones, then Barbaro, Big Brown, and then most recently I’ll Have Another. All were horses that I felt just HAD that look to them but we all know how those turned out.

Fast forward to today. This year wasn’t that impressive. It almost seemed as if (in my opinion) the two year olds were not what I was expecting so going into the Kentucky Derby and Preakness this year I didn’t have a pick that I had spent watching almost the whole year. Now I’m hearing this Triple Crown talk and even though the inner horse player in me sees there is something in California Chrome, I’m still doubting. The point (and question I’m posing to all of you) is that in years past better horses have come through but faltered. Is California Chrome really THAT good? Can he actually pull this off?

I know very little about horse racing, but IMO, California Chrome and his jockey really work well together. I’m with you in that I look at this horse, his pedigree (at which I’m still scratching my head over), and think no… But put him and his jockey together and that may be the key to the winning combination. ???

If you don’t think he’ll do it, then have the courage of your convictions as a horseplayer and bet against him. You stand to make some bucks if you’re right, as the pools will be inflated with ‘emotional’ money.

I think he’s more than capable, he has the ability, he is super tractable, he gives his jock the a lot of confidence to ride him as he sees fit.
But I thought Big Brown was nailed on to win the TC given the field he faced in the Belmont. We all know how that turned out .

Is he the second coming of Secretariat or Man O War? Probably not. Is he the best 3yo of this crop? Sure seems to be. That’s what really matters here. I think he’s got the ability, the jockey, and the connections to go all the way. He’ll need a little luck too. I do think it’s possible though and I’ll be rooting for him :slight_smile:

People say he’s the best of a lousy crop which, even if he does win the TC, will likely still be the way it’s written. It just depends on how the Belmont is run.

[QUOTE=BlueLodge;7582557]
People say he’s the best of a lousy crop which, even if he does win the TC, will likely still be the way it’s written. It just depends on how the Belmont is run.[/QUOTE]

See, that is my main issue as well. This crop (and last year as well) was downright lousy. There were no standout horses early on and I feel like that’s a main reason I didn’t pick a horse early on.

[QUOTE=Drvmb1ggl3;7582499]
If you don’t think he’ll do it, then have the courage of your convictions as a horseplayer and bet against him. You stand to make some bucks if you’re right, as the pools will be inflated with ‘emotional’ money.

I think he’s more than capable, he has the ability, he is super tractable, he gives his jock the a lot of confidence to ride him as he sees fit.
But I thought Big Brown was nailed on to win the TC given the field he faced in the Belmont. We all know how that turned out .[/QUOTE]

Well said. I think another thing that he had going for him was his post position in the gate. I always like to see my picks (my typical picks anyway) in the 4 or 5 post position and 3 wasn’t all that bad.

I always said my goal in life was to own or train a horse everyone thought was overrated. That’s when you know you have made it.

The biggest question he will have to answer in the Belmont is whether or not he can get the distance over that track… I for one, hope he can. Racing desperately needs this shot in the arm for the little guys who have a horse nobody thinks is anything special. That is what dreams are made of

[QUOTE=Laurierace;7582662]
I always said my goal in life was to own or train a horse everyone thought was overrated. That’s when you know you have made it.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much of this has to do with the fact that he is a Cal-bred with very modest breeding. Say he was by Tapit instead of Lucky Pulpit and was out of a nice mare that they bought out of Keeneland November and bred by Gainesway instead of out of an obscure mare owned by nobodies. I think a lot more people would be saying “Oh, of course he’s a fabulous colt!” instead of trying to downplay everything he does as luck or because he’s running against horses that wouldn’t be competitive at Sunland Park, because on paper he doesn’t look like a top-class colt.

[QUOTE=pinkdiamondracing;7582668]
The biggest question he will have to answer in the Belmont is whether or not he can get the distance over that track… I for one, hope he can. Racing desperately needs this shot in the arm for the little guys who have a horse nobody thinks is anything special. That is what dreams are made of[/QUOTE]

He could have gone around a dozen more times yesterday.

First with Smarty Jones, then Barbaro, Big Brown, and then most recently I’ll Have Another. All were horses that I felt just HAD that look to them but we all know how those turned out.

I had that feeling for Real Quiet, Charismatic, and I’ll Have Another…

I have hope the CC can do it. I am still worried about the Belmont distance but he looked great coming out of the Preakness…as if he still had a whole lot of fuel in reserve.

The question will be answered in a few weeks. Hopefully CC is the answer.

Free markets aside, I believe is unfair to CC and previous Triple Crown hopefuls to allow horses into the Belmont that have not run in at least one of the other Triple Crown races. Guessing that the Belmont could still get a full field.

And you race trainers, I am wondering if time in a Hyperbaric Chamber would help a TC hopeful horse to have their body regenerated a bit more for the Belmont? Just askin.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;7582662]
I always said my goal in life was to own or train a horse everyone thought was overrated. That’s when you know you have made it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, me too.

[QUOTE=pinkdiamondracing;7582668]
The biggest question he will have to answer in the Belmont is whether or not he can get the distance over that track… I for one, hope he can. Racing desperately needs this shot in the arm for the little guys who have a horse nobody thinks is anything special. That is what dreams are made of[/QUOTE]

Well Mr. Sherman had the same question at the end of the Preakness, my heart is with them all.

I remember Real Quiet - what a heartbreaker that was - just a nose nudge.

I’m wishing for all the breaks to fall California Chrome’s way and turn us all back
into believers again. There are some odds against him in Commanding Curve who seemed to be coming on so strong in the Derby, but then CC hadn’t had his finishing kick button pressed yet…Let Lady Luck wave her wand over him - we wold all love that. Naysayers, weak crop, it’s all just talk.

They are three completely separate stand alone races. Why should entry into any one be contingent on the other?

Do you have to have competed at Rolex to compete at Burghley? Does a golfer have to have played in the Masters to play in the British Open? How about tennis player who is injured for Wimbeldon, does he get to play in the US Open?

[QUOTE=MonterStables;7582649]
See, that is my main issue as well. This crop (and last year as well) was downright lousy. There were no standout horses early on and I feel like that’s a main reason I didn’t pick a horse early on.[/QUOTE]

Funnily, the people NOT saying this are the majority of the writers and handicappers getting paid for their opinions. The COMMENTS section of DRF, Horseracingnation, Blood-Horse, etc. are full of people saying this is a horrible horrible crop. And funny, I remember tons of praise for horses before the Derby, with a lot of people who weren’t betting downplaying California Chrome as just being from California.

I’ll play against him a bit. It’s only smart. But he’s the first one I remember seeing since Sunday Silence where it just felt like he might be the one. (Obviously Sunday Silence didn’t work out but the rivalry with Easy Goer was almost as good, complete with rematches.) And I’ve never had the strange feeling looking at him when looking at any other colt, like I was seeing something I hadn’t seen before. I don’t know. Maybe its just his personality-he clearly has one of the best.

[QUOTE=Foxtrot’s;7582858]
I remember Real Quiet - what a heartbreaker that was - just a nose nudge.

I’m wishing for all the breaks to fall California Chrome’s way and turn us all back
into believers again. There are some odds against him in Commanding Curve who seemed to be coming on so strong in the Derby, but then CC hadn’t had his finishing kick button pressed yet…Let Lady Luck wave her wand over him - we wold all love that. Naysayers, weak crop, it’s all just talk.[/QUOTE]

What I heard about Real Quite was it was a blessing as the stewards would have likely taken him down for bumping. IMagine the uproar…

Last year’s crop was lousy? Hmm, I’ll disagree with that. Quite a few coming back as very good older horses.

Now, this crop does seem a bit meh, but I’ll wait to make a verdict. :stuck_out_tongue: