Can I vent? Mental illness...

[QUOTE=Bluey;5108129]
Well, I do get bad cramps if I ever get any of that in something I ate or drank, can’t help it.
I have learned to look for it, but rarely, something sneaks by and I pay for it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I for one am not at all discounting that there are people with sensitivities to aspartame. Just that it isn’t the evil some people rail against.
Seems like it’s so hit and miss sometimes, trying to ferret out nutritional impacts on depression, or any mental illness. How frustrating.

[QUOTE=grayarabpony;5107805]
Oh brother. I figured someone would come on here screaming “no!” if I posted about something with aspartame in it.[/QUOTE]

Aspartame is a known neurotoxin. Some people may not be affected at all or so slight as to not be noticeable but people that are sensitive to it will have troubles.

BTW, for those of you interested in B12, it is best taken sublingually. A lot of Dr’s won’t give you a shot and it’s often not well adsorbed in the stomach. But it goes very well under the tongue.

I didn’t say that people couldn’t be sensitive to it, but a lot of people are fine with it.

OP – what did your new doctor think about the manic episode while on the other antidepressant?

I’m a licensed counselor and one thing I would highly suggest is a thorough CBC panel by your PCP.

After your PCP can rule-out any physical issues and treat those, I would also begin working with a therapist. From what you have posted, it sounds as if you may have Bi-Polar II, which is a milder form of the two types - the types are further divided, and based upon the information you have provided, I would guess you are NOS, at this point.

One thing that may help you understand the bio-chemical aspect of BPD is that it’s essentially a lack of a salt in the brain - it is mined and given in the shape of a pill called lithium - it’s an “older” treatment, but many psychiatrists still like it, as do their patients. There are many drugs used to help with BPD as well as depression - and if you have BPD, there really is not any method other than medication and therapy that has been proven to help, unfortunately.

The pattern of many with BPD is that during their depression phase, they do take the medication and attend therapy, but during the upswing or “manic phase” they tend to believe they no longer need the medication - or sleep - or sometimes even food! It manifests different in different people.

Now, I am not saying you are BPD II - I am only saying that based upon what you have shared on this BB, that is what it sounds like. Your PCP can recommend a psychiatrist and therapist that can help make a correct and suitable diagnosis and help you get on the past to healing.

Remember - even if you are diagnosed with BPD II or anything else for that matter, it’s merely a name to explain the symptoms you have - it doesn’t define who you are as a person - you would still be you - a horse lover/rider/trainer that is dealing with a physical issue in the brain. :slight_smile:

If you would like any help locating a therapist and/or psychiatrist, or would just like to chat, feel free to PM me. :slight_smile:

It will get better - and remember - all of us are crazy, just some of us get caught! :lol:

First of all, I just wanted to thank everyone again for their kind words and great advice. I’ve actually gone back and read the thread through several times (as well as the very kind PMs I have gotten) when I’m feeling really blue, and all the kind words and commiseration help a lot.

[QUOTE=grayarabpony;5108709]

OP – what did your new doctor think about the manic episode while on the other antidepressant?[/QUOTE]

She said I still might have bipolar disorder or depression and it is being exacerbated by a physical issue. From my description of the incident and my history, though, she thinks I may have just been high rather than manic, since they started me on a very high dose and I’m quite small and tend to be very reactive to medications. She adjusted my meds to work with the new one I am on but still encouraged me to work with my therapist (which I am) and said we can’t rule out mental illness, but need to look at the whole picture. I’m kind of loving this doctor.

For a general update, I’m actually feeling really good, relatively speaking. She started me on the amywhatever to help me sleep (I take it 1/2 hour before bed) and it’s really helping. I wake up much earlier without an alarm (which is a good thing as before I would sleep 10-12 hours without the alarm), and actually feel refreshed instead of wishing I could go back to bed. I do have some dizziness for an hour or so after waking up but I was warned to expect that as a side effect. I guess the drug also helps a lot with pain which is why it is prescribed for fibromyalgia patients and I haven’t seen any of those benefits yet (still aching like I stacked 3 tons of hay yesterday no matter what), but I was told it can take several weeks to receive the full benefits and overcome the side effects. If that doesn’t happen, I’ll reevaluate.

She sounds very thorough, which is great.

CosMonster
I assume you are talking about Ambien? If you were able to sleep 10-12 hrs a night why did the dr give it to you? I am wondering because I am the same, I can be in bed for 12 hours and still not want to get up. And once I am up, I just fantasize about going back to bed. I can’t remember what it feels like to sleep and then wake up and say “I am ready to go, bring it on”. Please keep us updated on how it works for you. If it works well for you, I may ask my dr about it.

altho, word of warning, make sure you read hte bottle before you take the meds, I have a friend who had an ambien prescription, and her pharmacy when she went to get a refill on a med to take in the am, refilled the wrong prescription and the next day she took the “am med” and half hour later was falling down on her feet and didn’t know what hit her. Finally read the pill bottle - they had given her ambien instead of her proper pill!!! Knocked the heck out of that day for sure.

good luck and glad to hear you are feeling better
arabsrock

Your life sounds a lot like mine. :slight_smile:

I think it’s summer time in general that has me down. It gets so hot and there is so much work to do and it sometimes I just feel like I get the bare minimum done.

Don’t be so hard on yourself, a lot of what you describe sounds like regular everyday life. This too shall pass.

Today I was actually looking forward to winter so I could get some rest. This summer has been sooo busy and hectic and a lot of the things I wanted to get done are still undone. :frowning:

ETA, great update from you. Glad to read things are going so much better!

Tidy Rabbit, you sound like me. I had great expectations on all I wanted to get done this summer. I think I got maybe half of it done.
I like the posts above from the counselor.
I think we are all a bit “off plumb”. But that is what makes us all so interesting.
Sounds like you have a great Dr. “This too shall pass.” You will look back on these days and remember the good stuff.
Count your blessings and you will see how fortunate you really are.
Like a friend asked me a while back, 'How are you doing?" I replied, "Well I woke up this morning, that is a good sign. And my name was not in the Obituaries. Another plus. So I think I am doing OK!
Hang in there, it will all work out for the best.
sadlmakr

[QUOTE=sketcher;5103557]
I would strongly encourage you, in addition to following your Dr’s advice, to make the dietetic changes. Eliminate gluten, refined sugar, dairy and caffiene (even yeast). That pretty much limits you to fruit, veggies and meat/fish. Be very strict and educate yourself online about how to avoid gluten.[/QUOTE]

I find this really interesting.
I recently made a conscious effort to improve my diet and eat primarily fruits and veggies, with lots of leafy greens, and a little meat. My goal was simply to eat 6 or 7 servings of vegetables a day and have those vegetables to be as close to their original state as possible.

I have never had any depression issues, but wow did I notice a difference. I notice it more now that I have tapered off a little and just this morning I was thinking, “What happened? Why am I blah? Why am I tired?” I think I am just in my “pre-veggie binge” state again which is perfectly functional but by comparison it feels so listless.
I had already made a resolution to kick the vegetables and berries up a notch again and MAKE MYSELF drive to the grocery store for perishables three times a week, but reading your post has inspired me more.

Can you explain why the no dairy and no gluten?
Is this just in case someone might have allergies/sensitivities or do you believe they create adverse effects in most people regardless?

[QUOTE=arabiansrock;5111766]
CosMonster
I assume you are talking about Ambien? If you were able to sleep 10-12 hrs a night why did the dr give it to you? I am wondering because I am the same, I can be in bed for 12 hours and still not want to get up. And once I am up, I just fantasize about going back to bed. I can’t remember what it feels like to sleep and then wake up and say “I am ready to go, bring it on”. Please keep us updated on how it works for you. If it works well for you, I may ask my dr about it.

altho, word of warning, make sure you read hte bottle before you take the meds, I have a friend who had an ambien prescription, and her pharmacy when she went to get a refill on a med to take in the am, refilled the wrong prescription and the next day she took the “am med” and half hour later was falling down on her feet and didn’t know what hit her. Finally read the pill bottle - they had given her ambien instead of her proper pill!!! Knocked the heck out of that day for sure.

good luck and glad to hear you are feeling better
arabsrock[/QUOTE]

It’s amitryptaline which I guess is an old school antidepressant that’s not even used as such anymore but can help you get deeper sleep. My problem was that while I was in bed that long, I’d wake up repeatedly and not really get enough good sleep.

I’ve heard enough scary stories about Ambien that I don’t think I’d take it, honestly.

Jingles continue for you ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;5112001]

Can you explain why the no dairy and no gluten?
Is this just in case someone might have allergies/sensitivities or do you believe they create adverse effects in most people regardless?[/QUOTE]

No, not really. But there are varying degrees of sensitivity and it sounds like you are a little sensitive. For me, dairy contributes to fatigue, muscle aches and joint pain. Gluten makes me sick as a dog.

[QUOTE=SWatson;5108778]

One thing that may help you understand the bio-chemical aspect of BPD is that it’s essentially a lack of a salt in the brain - it is mined and given in the shape of a pill called lithium - it’s an “older” treatment, but many psychiatrists still like it, as do their patients. There are many drugs used to help with BPD as well as depression - and if you have BPD, there really is not any method other than medication and therapy that has been proven to help, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

I’ve always understood that the cause of bipolar disorder is not understood. Lithium salts can be an effective treatment however. The chemical imbalance in the brain that causes the mood swings isn’t understood well at all. There are a lot of theories but no conclusive evidence. I think that any doctor who claims to truly understand the cause of bipolar disorder should be avoided!

It’s all well and good to re-vamp your diet, and perfect your self-care but all the self-care in the world will not prevent another mood episode if you have bipolar disorder. You can manage the illness but you can’t cure it yet!

[QUOTE=SWatson;5108778]
It will get better - and remember - all of us are crazy, just some of us get caught! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Very apt!

Well, for what it’s worth, I work for a psychiatrist that writes the questions for the medical boards in the USA, and she, (as well as many of her colleagues) does believe that BPD has it’s origins in a bio-chemical imbalance in the brain. After reading up on the issue myself, and studying under some of these psychiatrists, I agree with them.

There has been quite an agreement amongst most doctors and psychiatrists I’ve worked for, in fact, on this very issue, unlike many of the other issues surrounding BPD, such as the age at which one ought to be diagnosed. Personally, I will not Dx any person with BPD until they are at least 17 years old. However, there is another hospital in my area that often diagnoses children under the age of 7 with BPD.

I never suggested that you would cure BPD with lithium; it is a management tool, as is regular sessions with a therapist to work on the emotional, cognitive and behavioral aspects of the disorder. Like many mental health issues, a combination of talk therapy and medication is the recommended treatment.

I lived with both bipolar (Type 2 rapid cycling) and ADD (inattentive type) for a long time until I finally landed with a psychiatrist who figured out what was going on. Lithium did nothing for me, but was all that was available years ago. Then went on Depakote, which helped a bit, not enough, and I gained 50+ lbs on my already fat 5’2" body. No one told me about that side effect.

What I am now on is Lamictal, Abilify, and Adderal and feel terrific. This psychiatrist thinks that the reason some seizure medications work well for bipolar is that your brain is constantly misfiring and triggers teeny little seizures, and that a seizure medication does what it is supposed to do, control the “seizures.” I find that an intriguing theory.

Anyhow, I’ve done a lot of therapy over the years, much of it on my own dime because insurance wouldn’t cover. It helped. I’ve also done some cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). But getting the right drug cocktail has made a tremendous difference because I no longer feel the waves of hypomania and depression that have ruled my life.

I’ve seen several psychiatrists over the last 20+ years. A few of them were very annoying in their attitude. Like I was a psychiatirc hypochondriac or a malingerer. I don’t particularly like the prevailing model of MD for med management and a therapist who is completely independent of the MD. I found that it is worth finding an MD who will do meds and some talking so they have the whole picture, or at least take enough time with you to really understand your situation. My current psychiatrist doesn’t take insurance but I am willing to shell out $90 4 times a year because right now I don’t need to see a therapist with a copay.

I know that things like diet and exercise can have positive effects. We’d all like to avoid drugs, but sometimes they are part of the reality of life.

Most psychiatrists do not offer therapy, and if they do, it’s very limited, which is why they request the help or “coordination of care” of a therapist. Some therapists are better than others and some just do not “click” with clients and visa-versa.

Be glad you were not treated by one psychiatrist in this area that has managed to over-medicate a number of clients, and killing one child because he tried one too many cocktails without considering the child’s weight or other medications. :mad:

I think each person has to find the medication management that works best for them. Nobody has to go to therapy for any disorder, but for some people, it helps. And to be clear, NO psychiatrist, psychologist, LCPC or LCSW-C should ever continue seeing a person that is not showing any improvement after a reasonable period of time. It’s unethical. If what I have to offer is unhelpful, either I cannot help or the person is not ready/does not want to be helped. If I am the problem, it is my obligation to have the insight and the willingness to discuss the need for a proper referral with my client.

There are a variety of treatments available for various types of BPD. Because people all have varying degrees of tolerance levels for certain drugs, finding the right drug or combination can be difficult time consuming and sometimes frustrating. However, if you have the right psychiatrist and therapist (if you so desire), that process can be less difficult.

BTW, I have adult ADD inattentive type as well, and I cannot do without my Concerta - and behavioral therapy helped as well. :slight_smile: What’s really fun is that my DH also has adult ADD - our marriage is fascinating when we’re - oh look! a butterfly!
:winkgrin:

I can’t speak to the other stuff, except that Welbutrin, Effexor, and Cymbalta tend to give an energy boost whereas most other antidepressants can make you feel tired. But diet is one thing I know a bit about.

I’ve known quite a few people with some fairly major issues that were “cured” by a diet change. I do think a lot of our processed food can cause people to feel bleh, it just depends on which food you might be sensitive to. I used to be very sensitive to sugars, to the point where my vision was a bit blurry and I was depressed all the time. Turns out I was hypoglycemic.

A friend of mine gets eggs from my chickens as a result of some diet restrictions she has. She has liver scarring and is on a very restricted diet or basically organic fruits/veggies and grass-fed meats. She said the eggs helped her feel quite a bit better, probably because of the protein. She couldn’t eat other eggs because she’s so soy-sensitive that chickens fed any commercial feed make eggs that set her off.

I will have to ask her if she ever had issues with food making her feel depressed. But I know I have! Cutting the sugars, or anything that acts as sugar, helped me a ton.

I don’t understand this. The chicken eats a soy product and the protein is digested, therefore no longer “soy protien/allergen”. I don’t understand how someone can be sensitive to an animal product based on what that animal eats.

Speaking of the gluten allergy affecting you. I have been wheat free for over a year and feel decent.

I started giving myself B12 shots with the Dr’s permissions and am responding well.

I also will be finding a new dr for my happy pills soon.

I have a very stressful job and only have one or two outlets.

My brother is a paranoid schizophrenic and it has been a stuggle getting him the care he needs. He has done great for 6 year and the medication got reduced and he started down the bad road again. I would love to move him to MD if he got on Social security for a while. Get him a new job down here that is low stress. He loves doing handyman stuff. I just am battling with getting his SSI done. I can’t afford him to live with me, make his truck payment and buy his meds.

I also suffer from depression but the right combo of meds and a FANTASTIC therapist has made a difference. Msot of my issues are aniexty. I am like a spastic chicken near Sunday when I get overwhelmed.