Can someone tell me what this device is?

Don’t vaulting horses also sport side reins?

6 Likes

I believe the official name is Scheisse la crapulle

8 Likes

Yes, on a longe. SRS does so as well but also on a longe or in hand.

3 Likes

it’s F**k?

1 Like

Flame suit on. I occasionally use draw reins. In sympathetic, tactful hands, they have a purpose. A device such as this that provides no release from pressure is not the same. That said, I wouldn’t put any child or beginner of any age on a horse with draw reins, and I wouldn’t put anyone on any horse with this device, period. I also don’t see the value in “neck stretchers”, etc,

12 Likes

Poo, rather

1 Like

There is bad riding and bad horsemanship everywhere. I’ve met people who came out of the German system who have a lot of tact and feel, and others who ride from a place of strength and drive. I’m not a fan of the latter.

I’m with @erinmeri - I’ll ride in draw reins, or a third rein, because they can go to total release in an instant in an emergency, and I can also drop the draw rein contact at any time if I feel the horse sucking back off the contact. This monstrosity only releases when the horse ducks behind the vertical.

14 Likes

They are not tight side reins.

Riding in running (Vienna) side reins can be a safety mechanism for horses who are occasionally prone to bolting. They are atttached so that the reins are almost loose unless the horse inverts, above the bit.

2 Likes

Vaulting horses have one set of reins attached to the surcingle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR2Lo4zxSDM

2 Likes

There are many other devices and techniques that assist with a horse that bolts, and are not going to land you in the hospital if the horse trips or takes offense to them.

4 Likes

RE draw reins. I had an instructor for a while that would use draw reins very sparingly, but it was for the rider - not the horse. She would knot up our snaffle reins and have us ride using only the draw reins, for the specific purpose of teaching us how to use our bodies instead of the reins to turn a horse. It was maybe 15-20 minutes of a 45-minute lesson, and repeated the next few lessons if needed.

I had another trainer for a while who used draw reins on every ride on every horse with every student, unless in the double bridle or when prepping for a show. She had us hold the draw reins along with our snaffle reins. She was an FEI rider and garnered her USDF Gold Medal the first year I was with her, and had also trained in Europe for a while (she also used draw reins when riding). She knew they were considered a no-no - she would gather them all up and hide them whenever there were visiting trainers or clinicians at the barn.

5 Likes

I used Vienna rides when lunging green horses or horses coming back into work after a layoff - they are more forgiving than side reins. Once the horse was ready - soft, steady, calm, and reliably on my voice commands and physical cues - I would switch to properly adjusted side reins. That could take only a few weeks for already-started horses, or it could take months for youngsters or horses being restarted. I never used Vienna reins when riding though.

5 Likes

As for the contraption under discussion, I have learned that it is not a bungee cord - it is not elastic and does not stretch. It is thin rolled leather and has no give and since it is attached to the girth, there is no release for the horse. It is a headset device that was devised by the rider’s European trainer. I cannot imagine it serves any other purpose than to punish the horse for raising its head by putting pressure on the very sensitive lower nasal bone. For that reason, I stand by my opinion that it is abusive.

37 Likes

Thanks, DMK. I agree with you about it being a bungee, not leather, too.

I posted my comment before reading yours, DY. It really is leather? That’s so much worse. :frowning:

5 Likes

Yes, it is leather - not a bungee, not elastic. So no give, no release for the horse, only punishment in the way of pain for trying to come above the forced headset.

6 Likes

I know that some trainers will use various devices on horses to put them into a certain “shape” especially with a rider that has no feeling or natural feeling to speak or so they can “feel” what the head or neck position should be. However, this means the rider only rides the front of the horse and still never grasps the true feeling of proper contact and a horse being through/working from behind/working over their back.

If a horse is too strong for a rider, there are also other methods to address that instead of strapping on a device.

I’d be embarrassed and ashamed to ever post my horse in such a contraption. I’ve produced various young horses, and never felt the need to ride in such a thing. Even my most difficult big red headed warmblood. I just can’t think of a context when a skilled rider would need this. It’s just not my approach to training or more importantly, horsemanship.

16 Likes

OP, why did you make this thread?

Why does the OP, or anyone, have to justify starting a thread?

33 Likes

I’m just curious why, when they really wanted to obscure the identity of the rider. I’m also curious why, when the abusive nature of the device was discussed in the other thread this photo was posted in.

It’s Lauren Kanarek riding the horse in the OP, in case anyone didn’t know.

4 Likes