Unlimited access >

Canadian Eventing - changing selection criteria for Worlds

Fair enough!!! I agree that LMF’s social media posts are in poor taste. I remember Karl’s wife publicly ranting following the Olympics selection and though I agreed that the selectors made awful choices there, that public rant was also gross. I’m really happy to see Mike Winter, Hawley and Colleen on the list. The other two just surprised me given HJ’s horse lack of experience at the level and KS’s poor 5* results (1 success on 3 attempts). But I hope they prove me wrong - I’m cheering hard and hoping for the best!

1 Like

Agreed!

yes that was also a very poor display at the time.

1 Like

Travel to Pratoni might also be a consideration–I’ve heard it’s tough on the horses. If Karl’s horse has proven he can travel that is worth a lot–I don’t know fi he’s stayed in Europe post-Luhmulen but that could be a factor too.

2 Likes

Correction- Karl’s horse had successful completions at Maryland 5 and luhmuehlen 5

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right. But almost dead last. Again - I hope they do well but I’m not sure why they were picked over Honor Me…

I did not comment on the quality of results- that would be a much larger discussion on team selection as a whole. I just corrected two statements which referred to Karl’s horse only finishing one 5*

2 Likes

Really happy to see Colleen Loach and Vermont on the list.

3 Likes

Honor Mes results are the reason and they are easy to see. Dressage is important as much as people think going XC is all that matters in eventing. Same as SJ. Hes also done all the same events and hasn’t traveled overseas. He’s been around at the level for a while but the results aren’t improving.

Kentucky 5* - 43.2 in dressage, 13 time faults and 3 rails.
Tryon 4* - 42.1 in dressage, 14 time, 1 rail
Maryland 5* - 37.4 dressage, 40 XC jump, 28 time, WD
Plantation 4S - 30.2 dressage, 20 XC jump, 7.6 time, 2 rails
Kentucky 5
- 41.1 dressage 23.2 time on XC and 2 rails

Karl was 14th out of 36? at Luhmuhlen, hardly last place. Karl is also newer to the highest level and there is a trend of improvement.

JMO

4 Likes

Fair enough! Thanks!

1 Like

Just want to add I have nothing against LMF and I’m posting from a purely sport discussion point of view :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m also thinking that LMF withdrawing Honor Me after dressage just a couple of weeks ago at Rebecca Farm Event in the 4* Short might also have played a roll in the choice to leave her off the team?

2 Likes

For those who aren’t on facebook, can you paraphrase the unsportsmanlike posts?

I remember seeing the posts by a riders wife expressing her dissatisfaction following the Olympic team announcement. It was in poor taste.

I had to go searching for it. It has a ton of comments mainly supporters but a couple past team members commented.

P.

Thank you for taking the time. :slightly_smiling_face:
That doesn’t seem as bad as the “Wife letter” after the Olympic selections, though I haven’t read the comments. Sometimes the comments are very enlightening.

This is most of what the rider wrote in the comments:

That’s too bad. I think people would be better off discussing their disappointment with their friends than putting it out for the world to see. Unfortunately it seems like this is the new normal, for some people.

6 Likes

I really don’t see how LMF considers herself to be the best option, but kudos to her confdence! Just looking at stats, her last few recent runs have been downhill. I honestly think the team we picked is a good team, some greenies who get world stage experience. I don’t think everyone is ever happy, buts its about stats and only stats.

Don’t forget, there is the possibility of a horse or rider being injured and LMF will be called up on stage to fulfill that rider/horse. I am not one to say sit down and be quiet, but I do find it interesting that she feels its unfair. I think it just could have had a better taste to the post.

I’m sure its mostly posted in the moment of disappointment. I’m glad we have more options to choose from to be honest, that’s the whole point, you need to be the best to be selected. Imagine riding for a country like the UK, where its much much much harder to get on the team.

3 Likes

Unfortunately Colleen Loach has withdrawn Vermont due to injury at Bromont this weekend.

Will be interesting to see which of the alternates is put forward. I don’t know what the Team’s plans are for training camp etc. It could make a difference as definite entries aren’t due until Sept. 5th.

1 Like

Details on the next few weeks!