Can't pick up irons anymore

I have quite a lot of hardware in my ankle and a bad knee and am finding I just cannot pick up my stirrups after mounting without leaning over which seems dangerous.

I use the bow balance which I sort of love.

Does anyone have experience with the irons that are already perpendicular to the horse?

[QUOTE=lizathenag;6350453]
I have quite a lot of hardware in my ankle and a bad knee and am finding I just cannot pick up my stirrups after mounting without leaning over which seems dangerous.

I use the bow balance which I sort of love.

Does anyone have experience with the irons that are already perpendicular to the horse?[/QUOTE]

Love them! I have 3 screws on the inside of my ankle and a plate and about a half dozen screws on the fib

I use the mdc ultimates on my dressage? I set them so they hang at 90*, i aslo usually have a mounting helper who helps me get my foot in

]I use the mdc ultimates on my dressage, I set them so they hang at 90*, i aslo usually have a mounting helper who helps me get my foot in

another vote for the mdc stirrups. Even without hardware in my leg, I really appreciate them just for joint relief!

I use the mdc stirrups also. I don’t turn them the full 90 degrees but even the halfway point makes a huge difference for my ankles. I don’t have hardware but I do have arthritis. I would think if you want them turned all the way then the stirrups built that way would work just as well.

mdc stirrups ! never heard of them ~ thanks !

mdc stirrups … wow never heard of them ~

Thanks for posting this information ~

thanks everyone. I think I am going with the combo–jointed and turned.

Please update on you results ~ very interested ~ TIA ~

lizathenag ~ please update on your results ~ very interested ~ TIA :smiley:

Hi! I’m new here but was about to post a similar thread. I don’t have my own saddle yet as I just started riding and am still taking lessons, don’t own a horse. I have a really hard time picking up the right stirrup because I have an old lisfranc fx in that foot and its range of motion is somewhat limited. I also end up brusing my inner right thigh a lot trying to do it because of nerve damage resulting from that surgery.

Are turned stirrups commonly accepted? Is there anything I should know about them? I wonder if I could get a pair and use them on the school saddle when I ride. My instructor wants me to be able to pick up dropped stirrups and I just cannot turn my right foot in that way. I always need help or have to lean way forward and grab it myself.

part of an update

the mdc stirrups have been ordered but I took my horse trailer into have the wheel bearings packed and all my riding clothes are in the trailer tackroom (silly me) so I had to make do with my wife’s pointy toed cowboy boots.

those pointy toes really make it easier to pick up the stirrups!

I suspect I looked a bit odd in my dressage tack, eventing vest and cowboys boots…

mdc stirrups arrived

They are quite heavy. I switched out my bow balance and rode in them yesterday turned to perpendicular to the horse. Easy to pick up but I was still in the pointy toed cowboy boots as I don’t have my trailer back yet.

I think they are taller so my stirrup length was about a hole or two longer than I usually ride so it wasn’t a fair test. I have shortened my leathers for today’s ride.

So far the jury is still out but I think they feel about the same as the bow balance which I love. My guess is I will keep them and put them on my jumping saddle where it is most critical that I be able to pick up a dropped stirrup.

[QUOTE=sparrowrider;6384305]
I wonder if I could get a pair and use them on the school saddle when I ride. My instructor wants me to be able to pick up dropped stirrups and I just cannot turn my right foot in that way. I always need help or have to lean way forward and grab it myself.[/QUOTE]

sure. you may want to buy a pair of leathers too; saves the maddening adjusting of length every ride, especially if the school tack is mismatched. i have my own wintecs with peacocks that i use with the school saddles.

liza: we want pics of your outfit. :smiley:

Interesting thread.

I ride in an older pair of the Sprenger flex stirrups, which I dearly love and have kept me riding, but I do have trouble picking up the right one after I mount.

My work around is to use my stick (It’s a fairly long, stiff stick) to hold the stirrup out away from the horse’s side so I can find it with my toe.

I would love to find something comparable to the Sprengers that also have the turn, and then I’d like to find the money to purchase them.

McGurk

I think these MDC might be the answer for you. they feel very similar to my bow balance. but they have the turny top option.

one of my barn mates has a pair of the MDC that she keeps turned to the regular position.

I could not ride without my flexible stirrups. youth is wasted on the young.

lizathenag ~ thank you for this update ~ glad the new stirrups work for you ~

Thank you for this update on your new stirrups :yes:

Glad they are working for you ~ :cool:

Thanks, Liz,

Off to find a 7-11 to hold up to buy another pair of stirrups.

JMHO!!

I feel like you need really flexible at the ankle boots on to be able to. Western boots ain’t that.
Ahhhh…for what it’s worth…a lot of us old chicks can’t do that either…ever! So get used to it and get on with it. Loss of flexibility (like aging) happens!
Carry on!

I think I will return them

I will give them one more try but my ankles hurt after riding. I love my bow balance.

returned

I returned them. Thank you SmartPac for the return label. Made return shipping a breeze.

I think I was just having some stiff and sore days. I find the bow balance give my joints much more relief and I am still able to pick them up without too much trouble.

When I win the lottery (I suppose I should buy a ticket)(although the chances of winning are about the same if you buy one or not), I will buy another pair of bow balance for my jumping saddle which I rarely use…