Unlimited access >

Capone 1 mixup?

skydy, If you read the posts above, you will see that the registry is aware.

Oh well. I read the whole thread. Apparently my short term memory is worse than I thought.
Any thoughts on what they might do about it?

My understanding is that the swaps have all been fresh semen breedings…I had a really difficult time getting stallion owner to collect last year. Finally ended up switching to frozen, direct from Juan Samper. Sure glad I did now! Still waiting on my DNA results of my colt.

Please post when you get results.

I will!

My colt’s DNA came back and he is verified by Capone 1 from frozen semen breeding

4 Likes

That must be a relief!

Yes it is. I was 99.9% sure he would be verified because it was frozen and not fresh. Now I can be 100% sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

So what stallion is the fresh getting mixed up with?

A 1/2 Arab Capone son owned by the same stallion owner.

2 Likes

:eek: :no: :frowning: :mad:

6 Likes

I understand that it involves several BWP and Canadian registered horses so far

KWPN has had at least one as well…that was the registry I used for my colt. And AHHA as well.

This sounds like a lovely horse that I saw years ago at a Conrad Schumacher clinic. The story that I heard was that horse had been " debranded". Supposedly the horse was by Grannus. But it was discovered that Grannus was infertile when the horse was conceived and the horse was sired by one of his sons instead. I guess this was discovered by a DNA test. Anyway they removed the brand on the horse and it had a strange scar instead of a brand. And I do remember reading that Grannus’s owner knew what was going on and got into a lot of trouble for it.

I think it’s safe to say that this wasn’t a “mix-up” based on the number of foals and the different conception days :frowning: I’m so sorry this happened to people. I would be majorly pissed if it was me. Luckily the SO kept putting me off with excuses why she couldn’t collect and finally switched me to frozen semen. I even asked her before I booked if his semen had been evaluated and whether there was any confirmed pregnancies yet that year, as I knew he was getting up in age. She gave me some runaround line about Juan Samper being her vet and blah, blah, blah…but I don’t think she ever answered my question. I think we can make our own conclusions now :frowning:

4 Likes

If this was malicious it still doesn’t make sense. The SO knows these foals will all be DNA tested and would know this would be discovered this season. Why would she do this on purpose? I would assume if this is malicious this will also result in a ban from all the registries.

You mentioned frozen, is there someone who is selling Capone frozen that is not the SO?

1 Like

I got the frozen from the SO. I haven’t seen anybody else selling it. If SO wants to make it right, offering mare owners with Cartel offspring Capone 1 frozen next season would be a start. I can attest that it is rocket fuel.

You are right…it doesn’t make sense.
I spoke to one mare owner that when semen was received, was labeled as Cartel. Vet would not inseminate until SO verified whose semen it was. They were assured that it was Capone semen…DNA results this year confirm that it was NOT Capone. :mad:

Wow. All I can say is that I’m so sorry for the mare owners and foals impacted.

1 Like

Nope. That is impossible, Edgar.

I can safely say NO BWP horses this year because I had the only Capone 1 foal for BWP and his DNA is Capone’s.

Let’s not spread rumors.