Unlimited access >

Ch/AA Jumper Pricing?

I have been quite frank about what I can afford. I am the only one who regularly does all my own hauling, grooming, braiding, etc. at the shows so I know I am a little outside the norm for their clientele.

Unfortunately I think it’s more that they think my parents are more willing to help with the upfront purchase price than they are. The money I have to spend is all of my birthday and graduation gifts as well as money I’ve put away from working summer camp, mucking, feeding, braiding, my current “real job” etc. that has been kept in a CD account specifically for the purpose of purchasing a horse which matures this year so I can finally use it.

My parents make great salaries and I’m so lucky that they have been as supportive as they are but I can’t beg them to write a check just because I want a fancier horse than I can afford.

I realize I need to have another conversation with them about me looking on my own and letting them approve of whatever I find that seems the best fit. I know they like me as a client so I don’t expect it will be a huge problem but it still worries me a bit. I’ve been doing this mostly by myself for so long, primarily with freelance trainers, that it has been an adjustment to be in such an insulated “program.”

Tell your trainers this. Say “I have $20k. My parents are not contributing, no matter how nice the horse. I don’t want to waste your time or mine, so please only show me horses in my budget. If you can’t do that, are you ok if I start looking on my own?”
If they say yes, you’ll then need to have a conversation as to what would entitle them to a commission.

Don’t show sale horses you are considering buying without knowing the price. Before you get on say ‘I need to know how much this one is. If it’s above my budget I don’t want to try it’

If you’ve been doing the adult eq for 6 years, you’re 24, not 14. Stand up for yourself, you’re an adult, you can do it!

[QUOTE=roamingnome;8427142]
Tell your trainers this. Say “I have $20k. My parents are not contributing, no matter how nice the horse. I don’t want to waste your time or mine, so please only show me horses in my budget. If you can’t do that, are you ok if I start looking on my own?”
If they say yes, you’ll then need to have a conversation as to what would entitle them to a commission.

Don’t show sale horses you are considering buying without knowing the price. Before you get on say ‘I need to know how much this one is. If it’s above my budget I don’t want to try it’

If you’ve been doing the adult eq for 6 years, you’re 24, not 14. Stand up for yourself, you’re an adult, you can do it![/QUOTE]

Thanks :slight_smile: I think I’m so happy with the care and training that I’m terrified they’ll be offended and it will ruin our relationship somehow but I know I just need to be frank.

THIS!!!

An understanding from both ends of what consitutes a commission is so key if your concerned about the long term relationship. I’ve seen it happen where buyers have tried to circumvent the commision, look on their own, then ask their trainer to help make the ulitimate decision (maybe show them vidoes, look at PPE, etc), but then buyer doesn’t want to pay any commision, since they did the “leg work”. IME this leads to resentment on both sides if not eveyrone is on the same page, and can damage the relationship just as poorly as anything else you are concerned about now.

I personally think that even if you do the reasearch to find the horse, but then ask your trainer to help you make the call on what you ulitmately purchase, or have them come try it after you already have ridden it once yourself, they should be entitled to something. Just have a convo with them and see what your options are, but get a clear undersanding of what they would expect from you ahead of time. Good Luck!

This isn’t directly related to your issue (I agree with everyone you need to have the frank discussion ESPECIALLY about commission) but I just want to say, I REALLY commend you for doing this all on your own steam. Having the maturity and resolve to do all the hauling and braiding and grooming AND set aside money in a CD really speaks volumes to the type of adult you are going to be. I work in finance and wish I could hire a thousand SansPeurDansLaSelle (amazing name by the way, I’m french) bc so many of your peers just do not have this kind of work ethic and discipline. I feel confident saying you are going to go far in whatever you do.

Ok, off my soapbox, carry on!!! :smiley:

[QUOTE=greysfordays;8427224]
This isn’t directly related to your issue (I agree with everyone you need to have the frank discussion ESPECIALLY about commission) but I just want to say, I REALLY commend you for doing this all on your own steam. Having the maturity and resolve to do all the hauling and braiding and grooming AND set aside money in a CD really speaks volumes to the type of adult you are going to be. I work in finance and wish I could hire a thousand SansPeurDansLaSelle (amazing name by the way, I’m french) bc so many of your peers just do not have this kind of work ethic and discipline. I feel confident saying you are going to go far in whatever you do.

Ok, off my soapbox, carry on!!! :D[/QUOTE]

Merci beaucoup pour vos mots gentils!

what is the normal commission for a trainer selling a horse similar to this one talked about? just wondering as i have one that will be going up for sale and i am new to the selling part of it .

15 % is the most common figure but it’s whatever is discussed BEFORE starting to shop or market the horse.

Remember the commission is paying for the successful experience the trainer has selecting horses for clients and, contacts and reputation with buyers and sellers. Not the amount of time they spend. Much like you pay a Dr or lawyer for much more then the 15 min office visit.

But discuss it before you start looking. Get it in writing, it should already be on the barn rate/rules sheets.