Unlimited access >

Challenge for the CA Clique: Can anyone identify this rider?

This photo was taken of my horse Gaily Go at The Forum in 1971. Ken Nordstrom had him for sale for us while I was in college in the LA area, and was showing him in the Open Working division there.

The rider pictured in this photo showed him in the Ladies Working Hunter Class (for you youngsters, yes they actually had those classes way back when… ). I watched her in the class but have no clue as to who she was. I am assuming one of Kenny’s assistant trainers, but possibly one of his students instead? Anyone have any idea? No big deal, but it would be fun to know who it was!

“Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.” - Dennis Miller
UCLA football RULES…Undefeated and #3 in the nation, baby!!

[This message was edited by dublin on Oct. 25, 2001 at 01:59 AM.]

ahh yes. I remember now. The amusement park I am thinking of used to be called Castle Park. Does it still exist?

Emily proud
member of the junior clique!
Emily@catchride.com

Every time we go this way on a thread it gets me feeling old. I showed at the '71 forum City of Hope International-western tho. Still thought Kenny was cute and those big ring snaffles were cool.
Will not even start about Chino. Carbon Canyon and Diamond Bar aren’t even recognizable now and the horses have been pushed further out. Watching it happen again here on the outskirts of Cincy.

From Allergy Valley USA

Larry Langer’s first wife that I remember was Lois Rabjohn (AKA Twiggy). I think that she rode at the old Sleepy Hollow Stables in Chatsworth and had a horse named Post Time. I am so old that I remember Larry when he still worked in aerospace and trained on weekends. He and Lois then moved up north to Pacific Horse Center. I think that she subsequently married a rider from Mexico (Jaime someone???)

Oh my - so many things we can debate almost indefinitely!!

The scanned photo is not as clear as the original - I just looked at it closely and ‘mystery rider’ is not wearing glasses, wty.

I think it was Twinkie Nissen (sp?) who had the big Appy jumper…

Still proud to be a UCLA Bruins football fan!

Tuxwink, that is so freaky! What a weird coincidence! I didn’t know Marilyn got into breeding. She wasn’t into that at all when I was there, but that was, oh, 10 years ago!!! Geez, now I’m feeling old!!!

I’ll have to ask my sister-in-law Mary Walker (Williams) who that is in the old photo. My sister in law, was Hunt Seat Equitation Champion Cow Palace in the early 1970’s. Do any of you remember her or her brother Wayne? Heck my husband may even know who it is!

White Oak stables in Chatsworth is still going. They are in the process of building a new 18 stall barn however, the City of Los Angeles is really hard to work with because of the neighbors always complaining. It’s been totally cleaned up since Sam Perlow left it several years ago in a very sad -sack state.

On the other hand, Sleepy Hollow stables hasn’t had a coat of paint since my husband painted it as a teenager about 30 years ago. Very sad that these old ranches are sometimes let go to seed. All it takes is MONEY and tons of it!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wtywmn4:
Alex is that you??? Why how nice of you to drop in, and bring us that lovely question. Hmmmm, cells fading fast. Can we have a year pleeeease?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

circa 1977

I bet Dublin will buy you a nice icy cold chocolate milk from the Dairy if you go check!!

Dublin, time to change your signature line. Stanford just kicked some Bruin butt. Blech.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the cute little nose makes me think it is the lady who is currently married to Larry Whazzizname (the man who manages all the horse shows out there.) — Diane ______ Whazhername. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had to laugh reading this - glad to see I’m not the only person who can NEVER remember names!!!

If you mean Larry Langer, I think he got remarried in the past year to Marnye Elliott???

Whoever it was in the picture did have a cute little nose, and REALLY blonde hair at the time…

Still proud to be a UCLA Bruins football fan!

I know Sleepy Hollow in Chatsworth! I used to ride almost right across the street from there. Does anyone remember Sam Perlow’s place called White Oaks stables in Chatsworth? I was there for a short time, then at a place next door to that for a few years.

Lord Helpus

That would be Dick Lundy, I believe. Wasn’t he at Valley Farms in the hills above Pacific Palisades (near the Boy Scout camp). I leased my first horse to the more beginner trainer there when I bought my second horse.

AA…she only bred her one mare as far as I know. I was hoping you had been there more recently and knew Africa as a baby!

Oh I hope they get old White Oak up and running Novice. It was in such sad shape when I last saw it, hmmm guess that was about 10 yrs ago. Oops…

The neighbors always complained about the traffic going up and down the road. Geeesh, it was dirt for crying out loud, of course you would get dust. They even watered it with the old truck when it would start. But it was perfect for any kid who wanted to learn to ride. Right there, in the middle of town so to speak.

Want to agree with Merry, definitely sounds like a Francie name. But then, it could have been Cece too…

I’m amending that, Bell is the last name. Uh, Peggy or Patti??? And he was shown in the A/O hunter divison…I think

Rides with the Nordstroms now…Want me to ask her??

Always,
FairWeather
If you ever reach total enlightenment while you’re drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose. - Jack Handy

http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

Oh I know, AA - we just got back from the game. Major bummer!!

At least UCLA made an amazing comeback in the second half, but it wasn’t quite enough to overcome a truly dismal first half… Lots of Bruin fans at the game, so we had plenty of company in our misery.

Back on topic - yep, I was at The Forum watching the show and can confirm that those fences were indeed 4’. The angle of the picture, and the fact that Gaily was very large, made them look deceptively small.

Still proud to be a UCLA Bruin football fan!

There is a photo of him in the Show Circuit getting married!

Are they still married though?

For some reason I thought they weren’t but I could be wrong.
As I recall someone, Larry, was on the COTHBB and the profile said single?

Excuse me please if I am wrong.

Yes, I’m with you, Peggy on all you posted. “Twiggy” on Post Time and Kim Anderson on West Point were two of the big Calif. medal riders at the time. Those were the days of white breeches and rolled bridles, LOL!

AAJumper, not only did I show many a time at Sleepy Hollow, but also at White Oak! And who judged me the last time I showed at White Oak? My old trainer, Bob McDonald!

Gee, I wonder how Kimmie is doing these days, and if she’s still riding…

It’s deja vu all over again!

“Friends don’t let friends eat fish tacos.”