Charlotte withdrawing from Olympics?

Omfg now the rider is a victim as well.

She might have been using the stock end.

Not just stand by, but substantiate opinions.

And include politics.

Thanks for the advice. How grand of you to assume I know nothing of groupthink.

I will step away from the keyboard now so I don’t type anything far bitchier.

14 Likes

Bless your heart.

17 Likes

Academic qualifications? Professional accomplishments? Years in the saddle? Bring it on, sister.

4 Likes

Quoted from The Guardian: "The Dutch lawyer Stephan Wensing is representing the 19-year-old who filed the official complaint against Dujardin.”

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but based on the way the Guardian has framed this, it appears to me the young rider in question was actually 15 (assuming the video was 4 years ago) or 17 (some sources say 2 years), NOT 19.

There are so many reasons why one would wait to release something like this - especially someone that young. Perhaps we can all just assume positive intent until proven otherwise?

It takes a lot of courage to speak up against powerful people. I for one cannot imagine that I would have had the courage to do that at such a young age, especially against someone I idolized, looked up to, and learned from.

Heck, when I was 21 I had a part-time job as a working student for a very well known trainer in my region who was recommended to me by everyone in my network. She punched and kicked a three year old horse for making a very simple mistake. Her other horses were all very head shy, but I couldn’t figure out why. That event gave me a good indication. I left immediately (sobbing, of course). She called me and made a lot of excuses and basically tried to justify her actions saying that horse needed a heavy hand. I couldn’t believe someone would do that. And I tried to tell people, but no one believed me. Now imagine that trainer is CDJ. There are so many reasons why someone would sit on this for 2-4 years.

No matter what the video shows, it’s a very sad day for the sport and the ripple effects this will create. Perhaps there was a strategy releasing it before the Olympics. If this is a pattern of behavior for her - one that hasn’t been made public - then doing it now with so much visibility would ensure she likely won’t have a big platform to continue. Just thinking through other angles and possibilities.

I don’t necessarily want to give Dressage Hub a bigger platform, but I did see she mentioned in the comments that a video will be released on her channels tomorrow of CDJ. Not sure if it’s the video or just another example.

My apologies if this was already mentioned. COTH is having issues loading for me and so I’m only catching the conversation in little bits and pieces.

11 Likes

A lot of heated speculation and hypotheticals surrounding this. I haven’t seen any footage, so I can’t say sh*t, really.

What I can comment on, that’s sort of related, is advocating for your horse. It was hard for me to stop, politely explain why I’d stopped, and end my ride at a clinic with a big name. We ended on an amicable enough note, but even if we ended on a bad note, it would’ve been worth it. The horse comes first. What he had us doing/about to do would’ve been damaging and I would’ve had to undo all of that and it probably would’ve taken weeks or even months (Iberian horses do not forget).

It was hard. I’m not the most confident person, but I have zero regrets. Advocate for the horse. Take some responsibility. Trust me, I know it’s difficult.

I’ve also realized that the only person that can make me feel bad, is me. I have control over how I feel. No matter what someone says to me, I have to remember, I don’t have to feel bad. It’s their thought/opinion, and just because it’s said aloud, it does not mean that it’s true, valid, or even of any value. Realizing that was huge. Seems so simple, but it’s hard to get into that mindset and stay there, but after some self reflection following an interaction with a rather sh***y person, I finally got there.

18 Likes

It also sounds to me like the student is 19 now and was therefore younger when the video was taken. Another quote I found notable from the lawyer in the Guardian piece:

“At that time, my client was thinking this must be normal. She is an Olympic winner. Who am I to doubt? My client asked around and was warned against speaking out in the UK. But last year my client saw others suspended in the UK and elsewhere.

“And this weekend, she eventually made a decision to let me admit the complaint to the FEI and that happened yesterday."

12 Likes

Absolutely. I would probably think the same things. Sometimes it takes time and experience to know, “Yeah, that wasn’t okay.”

I’m waiting on making a final conclusion of course until I see the video, but I keep seeing people all over the place passing judgement on this 19 year old. And it’s just like, “do you remember what being 19 was like?!” :joy: Maybe they remember being 19 differently, but I would have been out of my mind terrified
 especially right before the Olympics.

13 Likes

Glamourdale famously loves hacking out.

6 Likes

I gave this sentiment more thought
I don’t think most students think in the way “I’m going to change my trainer.” They think more of what is the trainer going to provide me. I have been very fortunate that I have been able to experience many, many different ways of teaching (being a student, and very rarely being an instructor). The few chances I have been an instructor (in a different area), I took seriously and realized that I am an authority, that my students looked up to me.

I have dealt with over 40 instructors in both riding and an other discipline. Only one instructor (in the other discipline) was able to reach rank beginners to professionals at the top of their game. And I feel so damn fortunate to have these experiences. I understand the pressure of being a professional in the horse industry (I was one at one point), but there is a responsibility that comes with it. And if you f#*& up, you have to own up to it and produce a way to move forward. Especially if you are a beloved, well known dressage rider.

It just makes me a bit sad to realize how many of these caught incidents have to be brought into spotlight to change the training. There is some bad abusive training by BNT’s, and they don’t seem to fear being caught.

8 Likes

Meanwhile, we get another Olympics this year with truly atrocious Modern Pentathlon “riding,” just what we need to keep up appearances.

13 Likes

Well said.

3 Likes

You’re welcome to feel this was. But we’ve seen exactly two statements about this - CDJ and the interview of the lawyer. We have exactly zero credible information other than this.

I am reserving judgement until more info comes out and the investigation is through. I will not ever judge a teenager riding with one of the preeminant riders of the last decade for not speaking up - but I will judge the adults that waited until 3 days before the opening ceremony to come forward. It takes away from the seriousness of the claim and makes people question the motivations.

My arguments are not fallacious. You may believe with all your heart that you have not and will never do anything that can be misconstrued, but that is exactly what every single person says who gets a statement or video hacked up or taken out of context. And not just in the riding world. In all aspects of life.

I’m by no means attempting to “shut people up”. It’s just my perspective. See how you think I’m trying to “shut people up” and I’m merely presenting an alternative narrative? I could say that you’re attempting to shut me up, because you don’t like what I have to say.

16 Likes

Maybe you and you alone can right the ship at Boeing. Do you need their number ?

29 Likes

Uta Graf rides, and the horses go for her, like she was touched by God. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

6 Likes

@bending-line I am glad you bring this up
 When I see Glamordale in work I see a beautiful, stressed, uncomfortable, swishy tailed, horse whose mouth looks to be open alot. But that is my opinion and I am someone who doesn’t know what I am talking about - just what I see and feel. And no I do not think all upper level dressage horse are like this. Actually I see quite a few upper level dressage horses who are relaxed and look happy
 not all the time
 but most of the time.

6 Likes

I don’t much like his gaits, nor do I think they are suited to dressage very much with the degree of collection required. I am not a fan of the legs flinging around type. But he does famously like to hack out! And seems to be very well tempered.

2 Likes