Charlotte withdrawing from Olympics?

Me too.

2 Likes

I saw the video on Inside Edition.
Interesting to me, because I donā€™t remember the story on the Dutch rider, or the Lithuanian rider who was disqualified from eventing, making the main stream media.
Granted they werenā€™t previous medal winners, or
in contention for a medal

Iā€™m not sure that CDJ will lose too much in the long run.
Certainly right now, sheā€™s lost face and big time
sponsors.

But if she canā€™t get a job in GB there will be plenty of clients in the US who will be happy to have her teach.
Some of the most vile and disgusting horse trainers still get clients .

Disclaimer: She was completely wrong in what she did. End of.
Havenā€™t decided yet if it should be career ending.

6 Likes

Good Post.

2 Likes

Absolutely not disagreeing with the premise. The problem is what constitutes abuse; what constitutes horse welfare? And who decides? I personally feel that horse people and organizations need to make welfare statements that are clear and thorough. That may take a year or two.

Why? Because bits, in of themselves, when properly used are not abusive - contrary to what some say. Whips, when properly used, are not abusive. Stabling a horse is not abusive. Shoes on a horse are not abusive. Smacking a horse is not (necessarily) abusive. Riding and/or jumping a horse is not abusive. All can be, and have been, even when not, described as abusive by various folks on SM.

23 Likes

Shawna Karrasch, actually. Iā€™ve worked with her a bunch!

5 Likes

Yep. Exhibit A. Andy Kocherā€¦his business is thriving still.

12 Likes

Then police yourselves. Stop with the be kinder. An amateur rider with some hint of experience can see this is blatantly wrong, the horse is confused and shutting down - she is getting the complete opposite effect of what she is asking for. She already knows better, so violence was a choice. This very much deserves to be brought out in the open. She is the one who should ā€œdo betterā€.

13 Likes

Have someone crack a decent quality longe whip hard on your tall boot. A crack with considerable force behind it is going to make plenty of noise.

2 Likes

I look back over my years of riding and see many times that I should have done better.

I hope this isnā€™t the end of CDā€™s riding career. She can do better.

19 Likes

But thereā€™s a difference between the sound of a crack that breaks the sound barrier and a flat whack. The crack is louder, but the flat whack hurts because it actually connects.

(Unless youā€™re a professional whip cracker who can accurately crack a whip so its popper extends to hit your target as it cracks at the tip. I doubt CDJ has that ability.)

9 Likes

The more I watch the more I think she was cracking the lash of the whip. Some hits for sure but a lot more cracks.

I was the queen of the whip Crack during longeing when I was a kid. My horse was definitely desensitized to it (never touched them with it).

The aggression is what is so damning in the video.

11 Likes

I think this is relevant. Horse abuse is not exclusive to those who show or even those that ride. How many of us have left barns for deplorable conditions? How many people have seen horses whose hooves havenā€™t seen a trim in years? How many times has someone called law enforcement on a situation that wasnā€™t that big a deal to them? How many clearly neglected horses end up at auction? Far too many. I guess to me, the governing bodies can make some progress in the showing space but there is so much more outside that world that we are all well aware of.

Defining things at the top could certainly provide more definable criteria for what constitutes abuse. I donā€™t have the answers but something Iā€™ve been thinking about.

7 Likes

Seriously? ā€œyou canā€™t treat train them?ā€ what planet are you on? you certainly CAN train with food, and doing so makes them MORE safe to be around, not less (assuming you know what you are doing and train correctly using food as the reinforcer.) itā€™s called Positive Reinforcement, itā€™s understood and practiced by animal trainers at zoos as well as with dogs and horses. My four horses (tbs) are all trained with food and none of them will run me over. In fact, I train them, with food, to be calm and respectful, esp. going through gates, doing vet care, in fact, everything including riding. If it makes a giraffe, rhinoceros, elephant, etc. more safe to work with, why not a horse? Come on.

16 Likes

Iā€™m guessing the horses in the big clinics were carefully selected to adjust to CDJā€™s teaching ability. An Olympic medalist is not necessarily a good teacher, neither is any good rider. I think we will see more videos of this nature regarding CDJ.

Anyone know where this one was filmed?

To his credit, Carl Hester signed the IDRC statement that is below: Unfortunately, so did others who have questionable training practices.

STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE BOARD OF THE INTERNATIONAL DRESSAGE RIDERS CLUB.

Date: 24 July 2024.

Condemnation of the actions of Charlotte Dujardin.

The Board Members of the International Dressage Riders Club (IDRC) universally condemn the actions of Charlotte Dujardin as seen in the video footage which was made public this morning by Stephan Wensing from European Equine Lawyers on behalf of his client.

The Board members are resolute that equine welfare must always be placed uppermost and at all times. They promote only ethical training methods and practices and strive to encourage all their members to abide by theā€˜International Equestrian Federation (FEI) Code of Conduct for the Welfare of the Horseā€™ together with all FEI regulations which support and protect equine welfare standards both in and out of competition.

The IDRC Board supports the actions taken by the FEI, the British Equestrian Federation and British Dressage to provisionally suspend Ms Dujardin. It notes that Ms Dujardin has stated she has no excuse for her actions and has also expressed her shame and regret. Due to the live and on-going investigations the Board will not make any further official announcements on this matter until the investigations are concluded.

Undersigned by the IDRC Board Members;
Isabell Werth, GER, President.
Kyra Kyrklund, FIN,Vice President.
Michael Klimke, GER, Treasurer.
Klaus Roeser, GER, Secretary General.
Carl Hester, GBR.
Beatriz Ferrer Salat, ESP.
Yvonne Losos, DOM.
Hans Peter Minderhout, NED.
Victoria Max-Theurer, AUT.
Catherine Haddad, USA.

4 Likes

A horse (or any mammal) that goes into fear mode will react in a few different ways, depending on the circumstances and that horseā€™s personality ā€“ they are: FLIGHT, FIGHT, FREEZE OR FAWN. This is animal behavior science 101 ā€“ so a horse that is standing rock still can be experiencing as much fear as one bolting away. Same with humans ā€“ in the same stressful situation, some people will freeze and some will fight, some will run, some will try to appease the attacker. This is science, not opinion! If riders and trainers canā€™t understand this basic aspect of animal behavior, much less the subtle nuances that indicate stress referred to as ā€œcalming signals,ā€ then how will they ever make the right call in any given situation? What floors me is how ignorant the horse world is, including pros, when it comes to the science of behavior and how to train in a way that is both effective and ethical. This information is EASY to find, lots of materials out there to learn from, yet the horse community seems to prefer to wallow in ignorance. The science for this goes back to 1915 (at least). Add to that the almost complete lack of understanding of what Operant Conditioning is, or Classical Conditioning, and we have a complete train wreck when it comes to horse training or talking about whatā€™s going on in this video. Please everyone TRY HARDER https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight-or-flight_response

18 Likes

I attended one of her big US clinics and it appeared to be more of a showcase with the issues and exercises already decided in advance. It was educational for a pleb like me, but I imagine a high level rider wouldnā€™t have heard anything groundbreaking.

5 Likes

So sad for horse sports.
Paul Valliere killed horses for insurance money and stayed in the horse industry (thrived).

This is shameful.
No wonder people want to toss Equestrian from the Olympics. The best arenā€™t the best.

13 Likes

And teaching an UL, experienced rider vs a younger, less experienced riderā€¦ A student who learns best one way vs another or who has learned to do things this way and is lost when instructed to do it that way

The variables are myriad when youā€™ve got so many participants (trainer, horse, rider).
Who knows how long this kid has been riding this horse even? The riders issues could be for a variety of reasons, as you suggested.

I think our equestrian sports have really flown by the seat of our pants for too long wrt instructors and trainers just being thrown in and expected to swim.

7 Likes

Corrupt? You bet.

10 Likes

The one person who could help mitigate this video is Carl Hester- and now he has signed a statement condemning it. A simple press release from him stating that he has never seen this type of training from Charlotte and he was shocked when the video was released. And that is not how they train at home. The fact he hasnā€™t done that is telling.

31 Likes