Unlimited access >

Checking Tire Air Pressure Before Every Haul

My husband explained the difference between car and trailer tires and the importance of trailer tires being at their recommended pressure before each use. That if they’re not, the steel belts flex and cause heat and that’s why people have blow outs.

So it got me wondering how many people head out WITHOUT checking pressure. And could that be related to the number of tire problems?

My tires are 5 years old, the trailer has sat either on asphalt or concrete and the trailer would get used every few months. I’d like to replace them but he says if I check pressure before heading out every time he feels I can wait on replacing.

Everyone weigh in ok? I’m curious.

1 Like

i know I should. But I dont. I will…
and 5 years is a good age to replace, as tires age beyond the miles driven on them… for campers, I know everyone recommends 5 year replacement regardless of mileage.

4 Likes

Every time. I was trained well. I suppose if I might skip it if I had just checked yesterday and I was going on a short trip. But if it’s been a week or so, they get checked. All of them… truck and trailer and spares. (Okay… the truck has TPM so I don’t go under the truck to check that spare unless I’m going several hours away. And then usually DH does the full vehicle check for me.)

When I was having blowouts on my old trailer it was because the tires were actually under sized for the weight they were carrying. Best advice is to go find a truck stop with a scale and actually weigh your loaded rig. We were surprised at how heavy my trailer was. Now I pay more attention to that when buying trailers.

6 Likes

I have valve stem caps with built-in pressure gauges that I glance at before hauling out (which I do 2-3 times a week). If they’re green you know the pressure is good. Obviously you need to buy ones set to the correct psi. These are similar to what I have: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07J5HVSGQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dl_HR3DCEN75TXQSR0GRQ44?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

7 Likes

I don’t haul any more but when I did I always checked every time

1 Like

I always check every time and I have a little compressor so that I can easily add air. But I rarely see anyone else at my barn checking theirs unless they are obviously low.

Those pressure gauge caps look pretty useful!

4 Likes

My landlord always does. I used to borrow their truck and trailer and he would ALWAYS hook everything up for me. Now that I have my own truck, I hook up on my own but always check the tires and top off if needed.

I know how he likes his trailer set up and try to take similar care. I also got the blessing on my truck set up (hitch, weight, level, etc).

5 Likes

My battery compressor is a lifesaver. We use it for all sorts of things!

3 Likes

Same here.

4 Likes

Every single time (except maybe if I haul to a show on Friday and check them, and I won’t check them again to come home on Saturday).

I also carry a portable compressor so it’s easy to fix minor issues right away.

I still replace my tires regularly, not based on use. Dry rot is as much an issue as wear for trailers that don’t get much use.

4 Likes

I check almost every time. I have a digital gauge and a compressor that plugs into my vehicle’s power outlet. Even after sitting for 5 months of winter, my tires’ lowest reading was about 4-5lbs shy of ideal. From spring through fall the most I’ve ever added was 2-3 lbs. The farthest I’ve ever hauled is 2.5 hrs. I try to check the day before a travel day as I want to load stuff, load horse and leave…I’ve never had a tire issue in 10 years (knock on wood)!!

I always pack my Trailer Aid jack and Run Flat tire fixer just in case!

3 Likes

Ohh I need these! Nothing like loading both horses up to head to the dentist down the road and the one horse’s weight shows you that one tire is flat. And it is 90+ degrees and you need to get there before he leaves to drive home. It was hard to tell because of the loose hay around the trailer when I got in the truck, This would make life SO much better!

1 Like

The only time I skip is when I’m using the trailer regularly and the weather has been consistent. Then I check every every 2-3 weeks. But generally my trailer gets sporadic use, so I absolutely check the pressure before I head out.

Many cheap car tire gauges only go up to 50 psi, so it’s critical to have a gauge that can handle trailer tire pressures.

1 Like

And a compressor that can get the pressure up there!

I have onboard air on my truck (compressor and air tank, in the toolbox). The quick connect chuck is on my bumper.

Yes! I don’t even mess with the portable plug-in the truck style compressors, most of the ones I have are useless on trailer tires. We have a big compressor at home that I use.

1 Like

Can I ask what air compressors people like? (If that’s too far from this topic please let me know and I’ll start a new thread). My husband was actually going to buy one for me after I got my trailer but he said many of the reviews were horrible, many people stuck when it wouldn’t work when they needed it to. Anyone have one they love?

And I’ve been an intermittent pressure checker but converted to an “every time” after a flat last year…

1 Like

I’ve had 2 Campbell Hausfeld rechargeable compressors that I’ve liked.

1 Like

every time we stop for fuel/gas I touch each tire with the back of my hand… if warm it is most likely low on air pressure allowing the tire to flex generating heat

4 Likes

Are you asking about the portable ones that plug into the cigarette lighter in your truck?

What load range tires are you using? If your trailers need 80 PSI that is really hard to get out of a little compressor like that.

I did find this one on eTrailer that says it can do it. Looks like it uses the truck battery directly.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-BDW41000.html

Lots of cordless battery powered ones claim to go that high, but dollars to doughnuts they will overheat quickly.

If you only need 2-3#s it’s probably fine though. Maybe for the first check in the spring an extra battery or a big compressor is warranted.