Unlimited access >

Choosing a stallion for my mare!

Nice mare!

Something no one else has mentioned, but would you consider breeding to a Cleveland Bay (or even a CB/Tb cross)?

Anglo-Cleveland’s make great eventers, and are quite amateur friendly. (I know- I’ve owned them for close to 30 years now [my screen name was my Cb/Tb Preliminary eventer +, and my avatar is her daughter by the real-life version of a much- respected member of this actual forum [Fred] (so 3/4 Tb-1/4CB)]).

I don’t have any specific stallion to recommend, but most of them meet the standards you’re trying to improve- they’re known for good, strong hooves and bone, and are usually fairly short coupled, not that your mare is long backed at all.
Good luck with your mare, and whatever choice you make I hope everything goes well and smoothly for you and your lovely mare.

I am a giant fan of the Connemara crosses, and have an older Connemara cross mare who did prelim until 19, then novice with my mom. I have a young connemara cross now who is doing novice schooling higher levels. Both have tons of scope and very good feet, capable of competing xc barefoot, and my younger one especially is very uphill and short-backed. Look for the performance bred Connie stallions who have a competition history. Donna Miller (Hidden Creek sporthorses) has a very nice bay Connemara stallion competing currently at intermediate, and a gorgeous young buckskin stallion just starting eventing that is a super mover and jumper, and frozen from Ardceltic Art, who did intermediate and produced offspring who won at Advanced. I also like the palomino stallion Get Smart, competing at prelim.

I once met Diacontinus at a local show here in Germany. After the course he kicked a spectator who was standing close to the exit. Hence why I can’t recommend to breed to him. I know this might be stupid and unreasonable, but this made him so unsympathetic. Can’t get past this behaviour…Although he has a nice pedigree and is VERY closley related to my mare (who never kicked anybody).

1 Like

Second reason why I would not choose Diacontinus is rumours of him producing offspring with roach backs. I saw one example and heard of a few others.

Look into this Insta-post: https://www.instagram.com/p/C1rpjGEIgy1/?hl=de