Unlimited access >

Choosing between barns

I am getting a new horse and can choose between two barns, both within a few minutes of my house.
One I was at previously so know folks to go trail riding. It’s big plus is a huge covered arena. Great for hot Arizona summers. But no grass turnout.
The other, new barn has a 4 acre irrigated grass lot as well as a native vegetation lot with trees. I can turn him out as long as i stay around. It has arenas, too, just not covered, and access to same trails. Cost is a bit less.
I am leaning toward the second.

How much do you need a covered arena to ride mid day in the summer? I’m in the PNW and despite the rain, I really don’t end up riding in the indoor arena that much. I too would tend to the latter barn for lower cost plus attended turnout.

However there are other factors like, feed, care, and which BM is less craycray. And which one has more fuss budget rules or barn culture. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I lived in Phoenix for 3 years so understand the value of the covered arena. Does the first one turnout for you, or is it the same deal at both that turnout is dependent on your being present? I’d pick whichever one gives my horse the longest amount of time on turnout.

6 Likes

I think it depends on your riding goals. If you are competitive or actively training, the arena may be a better option. If you are a more casual rider, I think the grass turnout would be nice for your horse and may contribute to better mental health for the horse. I do know of one horse who had a mental breakdown due to an intense training schedule and no turnout because “the horse is too valuable to risk getting injured”.

It might be worth asking more about the grass turnout. Is there a limit to the number of horses who can go out at the same time? Are there particular times when it tends to be very busy? Basically, you should find out if you will ever actually get to use it safely.

3 Likes

This was my thought too.

I also like the point that Weezer made about the use of the grass turnout. It is lovely except what are the chances of you ever getting to use it? It seems weird that you (general) can just toss your horse out into a group turn out situation anytime.

3 Likes

If I had to choose between a dry lot with daily or 24/7 turn out, and an irrigated grass lot with supervised turn out only, I’d go for the first choice. More turn out is ALWAYS better, even if it’s a dry lot. Just make sure they provide access to hay, water and shelter.

7 Likes

This is my thought. It’s pretty hard to just sit at the barn while your horse is turned out. Sometimes even if you have time, someone else is using it.

3 Likes

Oh they both have turnout? Can you have all day unattended turnout on a dry lot at Barn 1? But you have to sit and watch your horse at Barn 2? Or just watch him on the field?

I would go for turnout over no turnout. But I wouldn’t priortize 4 acres of irrigated grass. That’s not much for a barn of horses. It quite possibly will get over grazed and need to rest. I don’t know much about irrigated pastures in the desert. Here in the PNW we have lush nonirrigated pastures that can get seriously eaten down over the summer.

Having lived with irrigated pasture when I was in AZ, it’s very different than other areas. A relatively small area can support a good number of horses. But assuming it is flood irrigation (which is mostly what I observed in AZ), it will probably be unavailable for 4-7 days per month while it is irrigated and allowed to dry.

Need more info. Does either barn turnout at all for you?

What does that mean? You can only put him out when you are there? Where would he be the other hours of the day??

I vote for a barn you have experience with. Horses don’t need to have access to grass and in fact for many horses a dry lot is preferable ( i have one of those horses).

I will add in here, we are going to be on water rations soon. If you haven’t heard of our drought it’s enough that I expect we will be rationing. Just something to think about.
Also summers are brutal, if you want to ride a covered arena will make you thank goodness. However if your horse is used to pasture, turnout will be a major deal here. If your horse is not used to AZ summers then go with the place with the best shade!

Both places require you be there when horse is turned out. The new place has 30 horses. But most of the stalled competition horses don’t go out, according to the BO. There are also other dry lot turnouts in addition to the grass. Technically, you can turn out for an hour but BO says as long as no one else wants to get in, he can stay out.
There’s an activity area so I figure I can ride, then do the yoga/weights DVDs I normally do at home. Or I can read there as I do at home.
My horse will be in his own run with a shade.

How big is his own run?

I can’t imagine only being able to turn horses out while you are there, rather than that area being used strategically throughout the day/night to give horses turnout time. Grass is great, but I’d vote for no grass versus more turnout every time.

Our self board barn has stalls with runouts, and an attended turnout area they can blast around in. It’s not perfect, I’d prefer larger runouts. Honestly I’d prioritize larger runouts over a lot of things. We do use attended turnout a lot but at popular times there can be a lineup. I would also be careful of assuming you can bend the rules long term. If BM says actually you can leave horse out all day, what happens when 5 people move in who all do turnout and all are on your same schedule? Suddenly you will be down to 15 minute shifts, bring him in as soon as he gets the wiggles out.

1 Like

Neither of these barns would be candidates for me then. No turn out? That’s asinine! I would find a place that turns out daily and doesn’t make the owner be there to do it.

Well if neither barn is doing regular turn out then I’d personally lean towards the barn you have experience with and the covered arena.

Having a grass turn out means diddly squat if horse is only going out for an hour when you are at the barn and have time to hang out.

Other factors that you haven’t covered that would play into the decision would be size of stalls (pretty important if horse is living in it 22 hrs a day), amount and frequency of hay provided (also critical) and stall cleaning schedule (again super important if horse will live in stall 24/7).

3 Likes

I think this is typical turnout for barns here in the city, certainly every one I have visited.
Even if he only goes out for a couple of hours a day on grass, I think it would be preferable to an hour in a dry lot.
Both feed hay am and pm. I will feed a lunch (TCSenior with supplements) and more hay.
If I am out of town, the second barn will do turnout for a fee. The BO says if there’s more people wanting grass turnout, they would fence it to make two areas.C
His run is about 12 by 30.

1 Like

Well if the turnout time, stall size and menu are all basically the same then it’s really your preference. I do understand that turnout situation is the norm in some locations. Your horse will be lucky since you have time to attend him in turnout so much! Must be hard for folks that don’t have so many extra hours to hang at the barn while horsie is turned out!

i always lean towards more turnout.
if trail riding is more important than arena riding, I would say definitely barn two.