Unlimited access >

Christmas gifts!

Every year, my barn mates and I pool together to get nice gifts for the BOs and trainer. We had great ideas last year (trainer got new Parlanti half chaps after her old pair busted, BOs got gift certificates for tickets to watch their favorite college football team), but this year we are absolutely stumped!

Any ideas for a 50-something old school horsey couple or a young, trendy trainer? What are you getting for your BOs/trainers/BMs etc?

You can always go this route: http://www.hunksandhorses.co.uk/

:lol:

[QUOTE=PaintedHunter;7866284]

:lol:[/QUOTE]
Oh my God, I think that might have to be my White Elephant gift at the holiday party this year…

Isn’t it fabulous? Order quick- this run of them is going to sell out, according to the publishers. They’re on their third print run. No idea why :wink:

Ha, I just waxed philosophical about this over on Off Course.

I generally use Christmas as a time to attempt to at least partially undo the trauma we clients have inflicted upon them for the past year. Restaurant and spa* gift cards always seem to go over well, particularly since the underlying message is, “get out of the barn and enjoy yourselves without worrying about us for awhile! We won’t burn the place to the ground in your absence, we promise!” vs. “Here are some new draw reins so you can fix my horse since I undo all of his training on a daily basis.”

*Know your audience for this one. Some people (me included) hate spa treatments (SHUDDER.)

[QUOTE=french fry;7866303]
Ha, I just waxed philosophical about this over on Off Course.[/QUOTE]

Ah man, there are already like a million of these threads over there! Sorry guys, I did a search for “Christmas gifts” and the only threads were from like 2011. Guess I should have thought of holiday gifts too…Whoops!

One of the nicest gifts I’ve seen boarders give a BO/BM was a chore-free Christmas Eve & Day. I think this would only work with boarders who already work in the barn so they know the routine, but it was such a blessing for the BO/BM to have those days off. Several of the boarders coordinated to do all of those chores. The BO/BM lived on the property, so she popped over once or twice to check in, but she was quickly shooed out of the barn once she was assured everything was OK.

[QUOTE=arapaloosa_lady;7866371]
One of the nicest gifts I’ve seen boarders give a BO/BM was a chore-free Christmas Eve & Day. I think this would only work with boarders who already work in the barn so they know the routine, but it was such a blessing for the BO/BM to have those days off. Several of the boarders coordinated to do all of those chores. The BO/BM lived on the property, so she popped over once or twice to check in, but she was quickly shooed out of the barn once she was assured everything was OK.[/QUOTE]

I think this is the best gift for a BO/BM, if the people involved are capable of handling everything without undue worry to the owners/managers.

For the trendy young trainer, does she show? If so, what about one of the new washable/waterproof/breathable show coats made from the new technical fabrics? Depending on how much money you have to spend, you could include one or two new show shirts as well, there are so many really gorgeous ones out there now made from hi-tech fabrics. In some years we have bought trainer Hermes scarf and Hermes enamel bracelets, both really beautiful gifts that will last forever. We try to buy something extravagant that she wouldn’t buy herself.

[QUOTE=BAC;7866692]
I think this is the best gift for a BO/BM, if the people involved are capable of handling everything without undue worry to the owners/managers.

For the trendy young trainer, does she show? If so, what about one of the new washable/waterproof/breathable show coats made from the new technical fabrics? Depending on how much money you have to spend, you could include one or two new show shirts as well, there are so many really gorgeous ones out there now made from hi-tech fabrics. In some years we have bought trainer Hermes scarf and Hermes enamel bracelets, both really beautiful gifts that will last forever. We try to buy something extravagant that she wouldn’t buy herself.[/QUOTE]

Hermes H belt! Or are those now passe?

[QUOTE=PaintedHunter;7866284]

:lol:[/QUOTE]

OMG!!! too bad they’re sold out, or I would have to get this for Trainer and Asst. as well!

This year we are getting Trainer (who is BO) new custom cushions for the show tent, in rich, lovely…and washable fabrics. We also do a year end photo book from shutterfly. I bought Asst. some custom spur straps from Spur of the Moment with her favorite jewel color.

Does the barn have a logo you can use. Personally Preppy stuff? Are you some where cold? Nice coats and barn color scarves?

[QUOTE=french fry;7866721]
Hermes H belt! Or are those now passe?[/QUOTE]

I still want one French fry! even if they are passé (which, really, is Hermes ever really passé???)

[QUOTE=BITSA;7866756]
I still want one French fry! even if they are passé (which, really, is Hermes ever really passé???)[/QUOTE]

No, Hermes is never passé. I want one too.

[QUOTE=BITSA;7866754]
OMG!!! too bad they’re sold out, or I would have to get this for Trainer and Asst. as well!

This year we are getting Trainer (who is BO) new custom cushions for the show tent, in rich, lovely…and washable fabrics. We also do a year end photo book from shutterfly. I bought Asst. some custom spur straps from Spur of the Moment with her favorite jewel color.

Does the barn have a logo you can use. Personally Preppy stuff? Are you some where cold? Nice coats and barn color scarves?[/QUOTE]

It’s not yet sold out! Just the first two print runs. I was still able to place an order last night: http://www.hunksandhorses.co.uk/2015-calendars.html

[QUOTE=french fry;7866721]
Hermes H belt! Or are those now passe?[/QUOTE]

Ooooh she would love that! What a fabulous idea!

Not a trainer, but I would squeal in delight if I opened an Hermes belt. And then proceed to wear it every day. It’s something I’d never be able to justify buying for myself but getting it as a gift? Game on!

Trendy trainer= lover of anything Hermes, or if you want to buy her show clothes the Le Fash show shirts are my favorite. Also if you live in a cold/wet climate Dubarry boots would also be very appreciated.

PS. If you go with hermes, get colors that are not stand out-ish. Black/White/Navy/Brown are your best color choices.

OK - saw on a website for recycled horseshoes - and a welded piece of metal was put around the shoe in a heart shape and used as a trivet - $50. I sent the pic to my farrier and he said no problem. Wish I could post a pic - but thought it was very personable

[QUOTE=Up2NoGood;7866967]

PS. If you go with hermes, get colors that are not stand out-ish. Black/White/Navy/Brown are your best color choices.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this. The enamel bracelets and scarves come in brilliant colors and a splash of scarlet, cobalt or other bright color makes a perfect accent piece, especially if the person tends to wear a lot of black or other dark shades. We have bought both conservative and more colorful pieces and trainer loves them all. As someone who wears a lot of black, I would love one of those brightly colored bracelets to enhance my outfit. I think it depends on the trainer’s personality.

Aren’t hermes belts something like 800-900 dollars…?

I have been doing custom grooming brushes that some people are buying in barn colors/ with barn names as trainer gifts. You can gift a set or a gift card so the trainer can design their own order

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ThePersonalizedPony?ref=hdr_shop_menu