Unlimited access >

ClipClopNYC '14 is officially on hold

ClipClopNYC '14 is officially on hold.

What would have been the NYC carriage industry’s third annual event in March 2014 is now in jeopardy of not happening as scheduled, as we must instead put all of our efforts into fighting for our very right to exist.

Background: Deep-pocketed businessmen with an agenda have bought and paid for the NYC mayoral and city council candidates, so that they will do their bidding and outlaw the horse drawn carriages at Central Park, a 150 year old tradition.

These efforts were bolstered financially by the ASPCA, HSUS, and PETA. Small groups of radical animal rights activists have consistently stirred this pot at a local level.

What this means is that our wonderful ClipClopNYC — an event attended by over 500 people from a dozen states over the last two years, an event formally recognized by Mayor Bloomberg and City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, an event which has raised over $13,000 total for Blue Star Equiculture and the wonderful work that organization does for working horses — will now, from necessity, be put on indefinite hold.

So, the efforts of those who wish to see us gone not only will put 200+ working horses out of their good homes and jobs, and into the at-risk population, but now have hindered our efforts to help folks like BSE who help other horses.

But we are not defeated - not by a long shot.

We are working ceaselessly on our defense - and we will be victorious.

ClipClopNYC is simply postponed, not canceled – we will be back to educate and delight all who are interested in us, and do our best to give back to the horses who have given us so much.

Stay tuned.

Thank you,

Eva Hughes
VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC
carriageassocnyc@aol.com

I don’t understand. Were you denied a permit to hold the event or is your profession now banned?

[QUOTE=JSwan;7176153]
I don’t understand. Were you denied a permit to hold the event or is your profession now banned?[/QUOTE]

I think the mayortorial race is still pending…but with so much money converging on the heads of the few, I can see the need to redefine priorities for the moment.
Won’t keep me from saving my money to hopefully make it up there.

It’s just a perfect sh*t storm…all the self gratifying citiots accumulated in one convenient location.

(hopefully they will perform true to form though and not give a rip about their campaign promises…)

I’m “believe” that all mayoral candidates left have openly expressed that they will ban the carriages once they are in office.

[QUOTE=Lynnwood;7176201]
I’m “believe” that all mayoral candidates left have openly expressed that they will ban the carriages once they are in office.[/QUOTE]

That’s what it looks like, at least that’s what DeBlasio said during his campaign. Time to turn on the charm to convince him otherwise, while trying to get as many reporters to hear the carriage owners side of the story.

You know, big business trying to run small business out of town for profit. It could be a winner.

Don’t you think they’ve tried that already LauraKY?

Look, your candidate that you bought and paid for, Quinn, lost. Sour grapes. You should have allowed inspections of the carriage horses by independent parties. Double shifting horses under different names is not nice and can and does kill horses.

As Jon Stewart said, how are you going to top a progressive democratic guy, with the name De Blasio (sp), who has such cool kids who are articulate and photogenic, as well as an African-American wife who used to be a lesbian? You cannot beat that combination.

Now maybe he’ll also require pet shops to have sprinkler systems. Quinn never supported that bill in NYC. Which would save the lives of animals in pet shops when fires occur.

[QUOTE=cloudyandcallie;7176266]
Look, your candidate that you bought and paid for, Quinn, lost. Sour grapes. You should have allowed inspections of the carriage horses by independent parties. Double shifting horses under different names is not nice and can and does kill horses.

As Jon Stewart said, how are you going to top a progressive democratic guy, with the name De Blasio (sp), who has such cool kids who are articulate and photogenic, as well as an African-American wife who used to be a lesbian? You cannot beat that combination.

Now maybe he’ll also require pet shops to have sprinkler systems. Quinn never supported that bill in NYC. Which would save the lives of animals in pet shops when fires occur.[/QUOTE]

The NYC carriage horses are subject to inspection of not one but 4 agencies, one being the ASPCA who wants to shut them down.
The regulations they have to adhere to are the strictest I can think of in ANY part of the horse industry!
And I doubt the working man has enough money to buy a politician…

Personally, I don’t think DeBlasio has been “bought.” I suspect he’s trying to appeal to what the majority of his constituents think they want.

It’s the carriage folks problem to convince him otherwise.

[QUOTE=LauraKY;7176286]
Personally, I don’t think DeBlasio has been “bought.” I suspect he’s trying to appeal to what the majority of his constituents think they want.

It’s the carriage folks problem to convince him otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Historic amounts of money being dumped into the mayor’s race. Pick any article in NYT, NY post, etc etc for reference. Guess NYC is heading back to the good old days… having the finest government that money can buy.

[QUOTE=AlterNetReality;7176304]
Historic amounts of money being dumped into the mayor’s race. Pick any article in NYT, NY post, etc etc for reference. Guess NYC is heading back to the good old days… having the finest government that money can buy.[/QUOTE]

Talk to the Supreme Court. That’s the way it is thanks to Citizens United.

[QUOTE=LauraKY;7176318]
Talk to the Supreme Court. That’s the way it is thanks to Citizens United.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

PS - Will wait on hold for when CC-14’s a victory party. :winkgrin:

[QUOTE=cloudyandcallie;7176266]
Look, your candidate that you bought and paid for, Quinn, lost. Sour grapes. You should have allowed inspections of the carriage horses by independent parties. Double shifting horses under different names is not nice and can and does kill horses.[/QUOTE]

No one “bought and paid” for Quinn. That is a ludicrous statement.

The stables have always been open for inspection and are, in fact regularly inspected. And aside from the hack line inspections by the ASPCA, the horses are on display on one of the busiest streets in the world and yet, not one citation for abuse, mistreatment or cruelty.

The horses are not double shifted under different names.

Ironic, since the stables have sprinkler systems. Does your barn?

[QUOTE=LauraKY;7176286]

Of course he’s been bought: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20130804/BLOGS04/130809963

Could the nonbelievers answer one question:

do you think it’s good for horse owners at large for an entire industry to be banned by law

***when the “abuse” being cited is prevalent in the horse world, at large?

[QUOTE=LauraKY;7176286]

I used to think lobbying worked that way. It doesn’t. Simply put, there are political consequences from backing out on a promise you made to a major donor. Unless the horse world speaks out, because the average New Yorker doesn’t care, there will be NO political consequences for voting to ban horse carriages.

You don’t persuade a politician with your pretty smile or superior rationale when his career will suffer if he sides with you, and not one bad thing will happen to him if he doesnt.

I kind of missed that allegation…kind of hard to pull off when each horse has to have a number engraved into the hoof for permanent ID purposes…

[QUOTE=MandyVA;7176403]
Could the nonbelievers answer one question:

do you think it’s good for horse owners at large for an entire industry to be banned by law

***when the “abuse” being cited is prevalent in the horse world, at large?[/QUOTE]

The alleged abuse is a fabrication, so yes, it is not right to pass any kinds of laws on fabrications.:no:

As has already explained time and again, those are some of the most visible horses in use anywhere, inspected for years now by those trying to do their industry harm, animal rights extremist intent on ending ALL animal uses.:eek:
There is NO ABUSE there.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=TheBarnRules;7176395]
Of course he’s been bought: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20130804/BLOGS04/130809963[/QUOTE]

The Irony that Nyslic is backing ‘New York is not for sale’