Unlimited access >

ClipClopNYC '14 is officially on hold

Blinders trailer on youtube

Has anyone seen this? I hope the link works. It’s the blinders trailer on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31GgmMsFzOM

[QUOTE=cloudyandcallie;7176648]
Has anyone seen this? I hope the link works. It’s the blinders trailer on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31GgmMsFzOM[/QUOTE]

Which was filmed prior to October 24, 2007 (when this was uploaded to YouTube). So, if things are really that bad, why no new footage?

And, btw - all of the antis have been invited to tour the stables and they all have refused. Oh. Wait. Last year there were two antis at ClipClop. Funny how none of their pictures or stories made it to the media. Gee, I wonder why…

You’d be better off watching the videos at the following links:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2ajc_9AQcpIitmRYfgaolg

and

http://www.youtube.com/user/StopLiesSeeTruth

[QUOTE=cloudyandcallie;7176266]
Look, your candidate that you bought and paid for, Quinn, lost. Sour grapes. You should have allowed inspections of the carriage horses by independent parties. Double shifting horses under different names is not nice and can and does kill horses.

As Jon Stewart said, how are you going to top a progressive democratic guy, with the name De Blasio (sp), who has such cool kids who are articulate and photogenic, as well as an African-American wife who used to be a lesbian? You cannot beat that combination.

Now maybe he’ll also require pet shops to have sprinkler systems. Quinn never supported that bill in NYC. Which would save the lives of animals in pet shops when fires occur.[/QUOTE]

It’s amazing that people who know the least, do the most talking.

For your edification: Not ONE NYC carriage operator that I am aware of gave even ONE CENT to Christine Quinn’s campaign. Not one. It’s public record - look it up.

ANY and ALL “independent parties” are not only WELCOME to “inspect” our horses, but we have INVITED EVERYONE to come into our stables and our very lives to see for themselves.

BTW, our horses are “inspected” INDIVIDUALLY 5-10 times a month while in harness at work - at Christmas and other busy times they are inspected DAILY while out on the line.

The stables and the horses in it are inspected by the DCA 4X a year, and by the DoH 3X a year, PLUS unannounced spot inspections.

The building-wide high pressure sprinkler system and grain/hay elevator are inspected monthly.

How often are YOUR horses inspected?

Do YOU have a sprinkler system and 24/7 stablehands in YOUR barn?

Funny, people here have told me how much good you do for the at-risk equine population - one would think you would object to the idea of 200+ being thrown into the pool, not to mention 200 places in the future for perpetuity.

An axe to grind is an ugly thing; an uninformed person wielding that axe is even uglier.

I missed this in CnC’s post - really, CnC, do you have any proof of that incredible and nasty claim?

[QUOTE=cloudyandcallie;7176648]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31GgmMsFzOM[/QUOTE]

OMG.

You are getting your info from a stand-up comedian/pharmaceutical company worker?

Donny Moss has never laid a hand on a horse in his life.

When he was a stand-up comedian looking to break into documentaries/film, he called our stables and stated that he wanted to do a short “fluff piece” film on the carriages. We get dozens of these types of calls a year, mostly from students. He wanted cooperation above and beyond the short interview or just observing as we went about our day - IOW, he wanted for free what we usually get paid for, yanno, so we can feed ourselves and our horses. Nobody took him up on it, so he went off in a snit, and decided to do an ANTI-carriage film instead.

THAT is the genesis of “Blinders.”

DM hooked up with Elizabeth Forel (hi, Lying Lizzie, I know you will get a Google Alert and be reading along shortly) and produced the dreck that is Blinders.

COTH member lolalola will tell you how I was invited to the Mill Neck Horseman’s Assoc in NJ to a screening of Blinders at which DM would be present. It was a last minute thing, and DM did not expect me. After the showing of the film, DM took questions, and then I was called on to rebut.

Ever see a deer in the headlights?

I went to the front of the room to answer questions from the crowd, and then went on to eviscerate Mr. Moss, countered every single assertion he had, until finally, HE RAN OUT THE BACK DOOR of the community room because he could not dispute my facts.

Don’t believe me? Ask lolalola.

THAT is the person and the film that you are drawing your enormous body of knowledge of MY business from. Pathetic.

Now - what SPECIFIC questions/objections/observations etc do you have about that film? How can I help you?

…and one more thing to CnC:

I don’t know where you live, but consider this a standing invitation to come into our stables AT ANY TIME, with no more than an hour’s notice, which is how long it will take me to drive into the city to squire you around.

That is a 24/7 invitation - that’s right, wake me up at 3am, IDGAS.

I’ll be DAMNED if I will have HORSEPEOPLE lying and spreading misinformation about MY life - I get enough of that from the RARAs who have built themselves nice little cottage industries riding my back.

Bring your camera and your Inspector’s hat.

[QUOTE=Alagirl;7176411]
I kind of missed that allegation…kind of hard to pull off when each horse has to have a number engraved into the hoof for permanent ID purposes…[/QUOTE]

Yes - actually, they are hoof hot-brands, and the numbers must correspond with the numbers on a brass plate affixed to the halter (halters are worn 24/7)

I followed the NYC mayoral race with some interest since I have met some of the carriage operators in NYC and toured their stables. What is happening to them is a shame. Their horses are well taken care of, and loved. I am amazed that radical fringe groups have succeeded in convincing horse people, who have never been to NYC to see the situation for themselves, that there is something nefarious going on.

The mayoral election was bought and paid for all right - by wealthy real estate developers who want the land the stables sit on.

It is all really disturbing, and I truly feel for the carriage drivers. I can’t imagine how I would feel of someone was trying to take my horse from me, as well as my livelihood.

[QUOTE=Lynnwood;7176201]
I’m “believe” that all mayoral candidates left have openly expressed that they will ban the carriages once they are in office.[/QUOTE]

Whatever their personal feelings (or political panderings!) may lead them to say, there still has to be a LAW on the books enabling them to shut you down–and the burden of proof of a problem normally has to be extremely high when you’re talking about denying people’s right to make a living running a legitimate business. In short, statutes cannot be generated specifically to rule on a case in progress.

Have your lawyer research on what basis, if any, they could shut you down. I’m betting they haven’t any except for B.S. and publicity . . .

Don’t forget that animal rights extremist groups are making their stand this year with lobbying and trying to get all kinds of laws and regulations they can get passed against any animal uses.

Their herd of lawyers is impressive and that is all they have to do with their time, find ways to interfere with all and any we do with animals, here horses.

If someone offers legal help to the carriage association, be very careful, they may not be who they want you to think they are.
Vet them and keep watching your back.

[QUOTE=JSwan;7176153]
I don’t understand. Were you denied a permit to hold the event or is your profession now banned?[/QUOTE]

I am sorry if I wasn’t clear, JSwan - I see others have answered.

ClipClop is an enormous undertaking - there are only 3 of us who make it happen here in the industry, none of us are professional event planners, we can’t afford a professional event planner, and 2 of us have day jobs.

Right now, we have to put every ounce of effort we have into a strategy to prepare for January, with the incoming administration and its promise to pass a law shutting us down the first week it takes over.

So everything else has to stop, out of necessity.

Want to take a minute to thank you for your support over the years - and that goes for all supportive COTHers reading this. Thank you.

I will verify Eva’s comments about Donny, except it was at the Horsemen’s Association of Millstone Township meeting. Donny vamoosed, no question about it. As a matter of fact, none of the most vocal antis have ever agreed to debate the carriage horse issue in public, say on a radio program. If Liz Forel appears here, she can give some ridiculous explanation of why she refuses to do so. Could it be that she obviously knows nothing about horses and makes up lies about the NYC carriage horses? Lizzie, please let us know about your personal horse experience. You have always refused to do so. Why is that?

Explain to me how you permanently mark a horse’s hoof. since for the last 12 or 13 yrs, I’ve had to become an expert on hooves with my vet and my farrier. I know hoof growth and trimming and shoeing, etc., from my expert vet and farrier, so i have no idea how one permanently marks a hoof. (had horses since I was a kid,but didn’t get the 4 white hoofed german WB till 12 or 13 yrs ago.) How does one stop an “engraving” from growing out and getting trimmed off? Oh wait, you can’t do that!

Now I will be up in NYC this fall. Usually around Thanksgiving and/or Xmas. Love the city at that time. So I will take you up on that offer!

[QUOTE=cloudyandcallie;7176809]
Explain to me how you permanently mark a horse’s hoof. since for the last 12 or 13 yrs, I’ve had to become an expert on hooves with my vet and my farrier. I know hoof growth and trimming and shoeing, etc., from my expert vet and farrier, so i have no idea how one permanently marks a hoof. (had horses since I was a kid,but didn’t get the 4 white hoofed german WB till 12 or 13 yrs ago.) How does one stop an “engraving” from growing out and getting trimmed off? Oh wait, you can’t do that!

Now I will be up in NYC this fall. Usually around Thanksgiving and/or Xmas. Love the city at that time. So I will take you up on that offer![/QUOTE]

Do you even hear yourself?

How are hooves growing out between “double shifts”?

Also, if you actually READ what I wrote, they are not “engraved”, but hot-branded.

Of course it grows out - that is why they are re-branded every few months. What is your point?

Are you going to answer the questions put to you, the ones you put to us?

Here they are again:

-How often are your horses inspected?
-Does your barn have a building-wide fire sprinkler?
-Why would you believe information from a non-horse person with an axe to grind?
-Did you watch the videos BarnRules posted?
-Where is your PROOF of your allegation that our horses are double-shifted?

Don’t bother me on Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day. Other than that, have at it. And you could say thank you.

[QUOTE=lolalola;7176806]
I will verify Eva’s comments about Donny, except it was at the Horsemen’s Association of Millstone Township meeting. Donny vamoosed, no question about it. As a matter of fact, none of the most vocal antis have ever agreed to debate the carriage horse issue in public, say on a radio program. If Liz Forel appears here, she can give some ridiculous explanation of why she refuses to do so. Could it be that she obviously knows nothing about horses and makes up lies about the NYC carriage horses? Lizzie, please let us know about your personal horse experience. You have always refused to do so. Why is that?[/QUOTE]

Thank you lola. I do not know why I keep calling it Mill Neck, this isn’t the first time I have made that mistake lol

[QUOTE=cloudyandcallie;7176809]

Now I will be up in NYC this fall. Usually around Thanksgiving and/or Xmas. Love the city at that time. So I will take you up on that offer![/QUOTE]

To firebrand numbers on hooves is common in Europe.
Horses hooves grow out about every six to nine months, so you have to rebrand them then.
For all those months, they are very visible.
Our riding school provided the military with horses for their mountain work and those were always fresh branded when it was their time to go there.
Their numbers were perfectly visible three months later when they came back.

http://www.equibrand.co.uk/hoofbrands.html

From Wikipedia, under “livestock branding”:

—Horses may also be branded on their hooves,[8] but this is not a permanent mark, so needs to be redone about every six months. In the military, some brands indicated the horses’ army and squadron numbers. These identification numbers were used on British army horses so dead horses on the battlefield could be identified. The hooves of the dead horses were then removed and returned to the Horse Guards with a request for replacements. This method was used to prevent fraudulent requests for horses."—

[QUOTE=Bluey;7176838]
To firebrand numbers on hooves is common in Europe.
Horses hooves grow out about every six to nine months, so you have to rebrand them then.
For all those months, they are very visible.
Our riding school provided the military with horses for their mountain work and those were always fresh branded when it was their time to go there.
Their numbers were perfectly visible three months later when they came back.[/QUOTE]

We go one better, Bluey; when they start moving down from the new growth, too close to being filed with the next shoeing, we re-brand. We never let them get that low.

I suppose they might get away with banning the carriages, but I don’t see how they can get away with confiscating horses. There’s your angle.

[QUOTE=LauraKY;7176858]
I suppose they might get away with banning the carriages, but I don’t see how they can get away with confiscating horses. There’s your angle.[/QUOTE]

That is true.:yes:

Small comfort, when they don’t have a job for them there any more.:no:

[QUOTE=Bluey;7176864]
That is true.:yes:

Small comfort, when they don’t have a job for them there any more.:no:[/QUOTE]

Surely there has to be some kind of small business owners rights group that wants to jump on the bandwagon.