Unlimited access >

Clipmyhorse billing scam?

Clip my horse billed me yesterday for a years renewal without any notice what so ever. They are refusing to cancel it. Any one else had issues with them?

Not horse related, but I’ve gotten hosed a couple times for things that I signed up for for a trial period and forgot to cancel. I’ve also had subscription services that state upfront they will auto renew annually unless you deactivate. I put it on my calendar a year out to remind myself to cancel.

I’m not familiar with Clipmyhorse, but I don’t think companies are required to remind you if you did indeed sign up for some sort of subscription. If you didn’t, that sounds like another issue.

Everyone has had issues with them. There are many threads here about attempting to deal with them. I don’t touch them with a 10 foot pole - and if you do, only deal through Paypal.

See this recent thread, for example: Clip my Horse joins ranks with USEF

On it, I said:

CMH is the worst service I have ever had the misfortune of paying. Cancelling is virtually impossible and (at least at the time I experienced them) there was no month-to-month option. This is awful and no matter how much I love Kentucky I am not sure it is worth dealing with that disaster ever again.

So this is the trap I fell into, and it is not a mistake. I interpreted “annual - pay over time” to mean I could pay month-by-month, and then cancel when I didn’t want it any more. I cancelled, and they attempted to continue to charge me every month for a year because I “had purchased an annual plan”. The “per month” just means the timeline on which they will take payment, apparently not (to them) the timeline on which you decide whether you receive services.

3 Likes

They are based in Germany and use the German subscription method, where they don’t have to advise you that renewal is coming up or that you have been auto-renewed.

I had a go-round with them some years back when the CC I had on account with them expired. I was wanting to drop the service anyway since I rarely used it, but I was dealing with a lot of stuff going on in my personal life (father in failing health, horse in failing health, new boss who was turning out to be a tyrant, my own rather serious health issue, etc.). I basically forgot about the renewal attempts, assuming that they would close my account automatically when they didn’t get a new CC. But oh, no - they instead turned the matter over to a German law firm, who started sending me letters threatening lawsuit (over a measly $90!). I ignored the letters from the lawyer (got 2-3 of them over a 6 month period), and contacted CMH to try to cancel my account online. They informed me that I had to provide an updated CC to bring my account current before it could be cancelled, so I complied, and they then told me I had to cancel the account online but couldn’t cancel it for at least 60 days (I guess to make sure the transaction went through okay). So I waited and in the meantime, my phone got lost and when found, it had been so badly damaged that I couldn’t open the p/w keeper to get the CMH p/w. I requested a p/w reset online and the auto-response was that they had sent me a reset email - but I didn’t get said email. So I tried again - and again - and again. Same problem - the p/w reset email never arrived. I finally managed to find an email address for cust support (buried deep on their website) and emailed them for assistance. It took another week or so to get a response, but she was super helpful from that point on - looped in a technical support person and between the two of them, they managed to get my account cancelled. All this took place over the course of many, many months, during which time - of course - my account auto renewed again. Overall, except for the very nice lady in cust support, dealing with them was such a PIA that I will never again use that service. So very long story short - buyer beware.

1 Like

I may be one of few who was able to cancel without a problem.

I got the 30 day free trial (I think it was to watch 2022 Pratoni world champs). I cancelled well before the end of the free trial, both by sending an email and by the link in the free trial subscription.

My credit card was not charged.

I was also able to live stream 2023 Kentucky 3 day event from Clip My Horse using my USEF fan membership. Very grateful for that.

They are the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with - tried to cancel monthly and they would just renew each month saying that the service was available for immediate fulfillment. I could never reach anyone via email or phone. After months I ended up getting my credit card company involved - when even they could not reach them - they agreed to refuse payment on the CC. Then they sent a bill via regular mail. I am very disappointed that USEF chose to partner with them. I do not watch anything they provide services for.

1 Like

I disagree with everyone, I have never had a problem with them, have been able to cancel just fine several times in the past and am now a willing annual subscriber and grateful for 1 fairly cheap subscription to get tons and tons of live streams vs having to pay 10 different platforms and figure out where to go for which event. And they make it super easy to watch only the riders you want after an event!

Also, Horse and Country (the other major streaming platform) also does an annual plan but pay by month now so it’s not like CMH is doing something unheard of.

FWIW I have always had very good responsiveness from CMH submitting a message through the website on the “Contact Us” page. I also have successfully canceled with them, but you do have to pay close attention to the terms when you sign up, for the reasons other people have mentioned. I actually messaged them yesterday because I couldn’t figure out how to apply my USEF discount, and they responded in under 24 hours and gave me two free months added to my subscription for the trouble.

Yes, the same exact thing happened to me. So lame.

1 Like