Colonoscopy prep? Thinking of Kim

Sansena, great news after the procedure! IMO/experience, Propofol rocks.

Yup, pretty much, prep is less than fun… procedure is easy-peasy.

Kim, you have left a lasting legacy… miss ya’ more than you know…

2 Likes

Epsom salts make me barf (specially when they charge $70+) for it. Ever hear of this; https://www.cologuardtest.com/

I thought the same thing!

Rebecca

2 Likes

Good point about getting the first appointment in the morning, you get the procedure done, and then you’re out of there. The ones who go in later might be sitting in the waiting room if the procedures get delayed at all, and since you can’t have anything but water in the morning, you have to sit there starving. With the propofol, the second I got back to the motel I had some apple juice, and water, (and probably put back the first couple of pounds of lost water weight), and then wandered across the parking lot to McDonald’s for lunch.

The feeling that you know if you’re safe, and when you need to repeat is absolutely worth it.

1 Like

Yes. It is not be the right test for some people; those with a family history of colon cancer, a previous diagnosis, related diseases.

Currently the best way to screen for colon cancer is still colonoscopy.

Using one vs the other is something each individual should discuss with their healthcare provider.

3 Likes

Pulling this quote out to emphasize it for anyone else heading into the procedure - you want to start doing that sooner rather than later! (I also have some PeriGuard skin protectant from when we cleared out my mom’s nursing home room - zinc oxide and petrolatum - and that was even better.)

2 Likes

Laughing about the beer! I considered some wine (white) but thought it would go straight to my head.

Will say that I felt fine after mine - for about 6 hours. Then started with throbbing pain all around my left hip - and gas pains. Doubled over at times, At first it seemed like just one big unclear situation, and it went on all night, slept for no more than an hour at a time. By morning it was more clear that hip situation was separate from the gas. Was on the phone to doctor - was told that given the tortuous nature of my colon the hip pain was likely from that and would ease. And to take gas X
Hip pain resolved by around dinner time - roughly 30 hours after procedure - and the gas spasms declined in frequency and severity by the end of the day.

oh no! I I hope your tortuous natured colon is ok! I did have three small polyps removed, waiting for pathology. I had absolutely no issues except my back was a little sore from the position they must have put me in (yikes) and a bit foggy for a couple of days.

Went to a horse show two days after; when schooling on Friday afternoon, my trainer said my timing of aids was a little on the slow side…lol.

1 Like

I was a little shy about starting this thread, but because of Kim, I did. And I’m thrilled to see so many folks sharing their experience and helpful tips.

It was a slightly rough night for me as well, but I did manage to sleep in 4 hour chunks of time. Fell asleep early, woke at midnight VERY aware something had been going on at my back door, and regretted the salsa and chips I had as a snack when I got home.

It was quite musical through the night, but honestly, today I feel about 95% normal.

Again, I’m so sorry to have lost such a special person as Kim, but am forever indebted to her sharing and prompting me, and so many others, for getting their colonoscopy. Mine was 5 years overdue…

4 Likes

It has been suggested to me via PM that this thread may be a better place to discuss my dad’s stage 4 colon cancer diagnosis and what the treatment may involve. We find out the next steps on Tuesday. Not that a huge tumor in his colon that has spread to an even bigger tumor in his liver isn’t complicated enough but he also has a brand spanking new diagnosis of multiple myeloma that has already caused his kidneys to be functioning at 50% and is a diabetic. We are in for an interesting journey I am afraid and I thank you in advance for your support and advice. I imagine I will be having one of these myself in the near future even though I am not technically due for a couple more years.

6 Likes

@Laurierace Thinking of you. My DH also had colon cancer with liver mets. It’s a rough road. I don’t know anything about mm, but feel free to pm if I can be helpful or supportive.

1 Like

Thanks Stryder, how is your husband now?

He passed in November 2017, I’m sorry to say.

My pathology shows the following: [h=3]adenoma (adenomatous polyp), These types of polyps are not cancer, but they are pre-cancerous (meaning that they can turn into cancers). Someone who has had one of these types of polyps has an increased risk of later developing cancer of the colon. Most patients with these polyps, however, never develop colon cancer.[/h] So I have to go back in 5 years unless I have some symptoms before then. I am not concerned but am glad I had them removed and checked. I have no family history so the doctor said not to be alarmed.

1 Like

I was afraid that might be the answer. So sorry

That’s great news, Bogey. You have info now and can manage moving forward. Getting those little time bombs in the pre-cancerous stage is key.

2 Likes

Thank you. Once one has seen it up close and personal, we’re compelled to do everything we can to make sure others get the colonoscopy. That sounds stilted, I know, but Kim, I and some of the others beat this drum with everything we have.

2 Likes

Glad you went and they found them Bogey2! My Dad had colon cancer, went every few years for colonoscopies as prescribed, and they gradually extended the time inbetween. They eventually moved to 10 years- that one showed the colon cancer was back. Obviously we regret waiting longer, but that was per his doctors reccomendations. It’s something you don’t want to let your guard down about.

2 Likes

I had my first one at 50 and was clean so they said 10 years. So i am almost 60 and have to do it sooner which is fine. Did your dad start them earlier in life?