Unlimited access >

Colored show shirts

Hi everyone! First time poster long time lurker. With summer showing almost upon us, I’ll be showing my first time in the amateur jumpers this year. How do we feel about colored show shirts? I have a navy coat and a black coat and am torn about getting a few “fun” (by fun I mean conservative but not white) show shirts. I don’t know how they look under a coat and if it’s obvious/if anyone even cares or notices. I don’t mind the bib ones so it’s still white where it would show, but wanted to hear opinions because I’m seeing so many online now!

1 Like

Oh, can striped shirts PLEASE come back?!

12 Likes

I want to hear these results because I just bought a light blue and a navy blue shirt that I want to wear but i have no fashion sense and I can’t decide if they will look good or bad! I know it’s allowed in the jumpers but if I fall off I want to look cool while doing it :rofl:

4 Likes

SAME to the looking cool doing it! It’s always so confusing as to what’s in style just for this season vs long term and what looks professional and put together and still has personality hahaha

2 Likes

:rofl:
If they can, I have 2 vintage (late 80s) ratcatchers - complete with chokers. Both striped, one standard light blue on white, the other has a fancier stripe: alternating blue & tan. One choker even still has the Hunting Horn pin attached.
Both cotton, size 40 (medium).
Who’d like to revive a trend? :laughing:

14 Likes

I got a light blue shirt from Wire Horse last year! It’s cotton though, so might only make one appearance in May.
I think they had lavender too but I am not that bold.

2 Likes

I have 2 favorite shirts.

1- this is a Le Mieux and I ADORE it. (Can’t speak to what the other guy is wearing :wink: )

This I love this one too. It’s a Treadstep

Em

4 Likes

Wait, you mean the rust show shirt with the ribbon collar is back in style?

Or my peach stripped RJ classics with the monogram?

2 Likes

Any pictures with a coat? I’m scared I’ll look mismatched or weird!

2 Likes

Good Lord people. Just wear the shirt. If you like it and it looks nice. I have no idea why the hell everybody decided to start wearing white but it’s boring and we used to have pretty show shirts.
One of my favorite things about hunting is the patterned stock ties. If I show again regularly I swear I’m wearing them. But at least I still have a bunch of pretty show shirts to match them to.

38 Likes

Awww I miss the days when the HJ forum was chock full of heated discussion about helmet brands and what color breeches. GPA bedazzling I’m looking at you.

8 Likes

Please.
Says the middle-aged lady who’s been buying up vintage Essex shirts with the freaking collars on eBay and Poshmark. I’ve got a sage green one, a super pale green one with a fine blue check, and a peachy-pink one that I nabbed for next to nothing at a going-out-of-business sale last year. Oh. Wait. Forgot my latest Poshmark purchase: French blue with pinstripe. Just got it a few weeks ago.

I’m just doing local schooling shows but am defiantly wearing them under a black AA Motionlite or an old-school navy jacket.

In the old days, as a junior whose mom-on-a-budget was footing the bills, I stuck with white. But now I’m old, buying my own stuff, and living my teenage dreams through the bounty of a cheap and endless internet.

Go for it.

Or at least dip a toe in the water. From a distance, you can’t even really tell with the pale ones.

10 Likes

I love my dark shirts! They look especially good with a grey coat.

1 Like

I love both of these especially that bottom one :heart_eyes:. I’m a show coat aficionado though, I can’t enter the ring without one lol!

1 Like

Hahaha we had the same childhood. And the same current life. All of the things!! I’d love to have the confidence but also have a trainer who tends to dress more traditionally so wanted to see some pics of colored shirts under a navy or black coat to get some idea of what might still border on the line of “traditional”

1 Like

LOVE this! I’ve seen a bunch with just the button area being white as opposed to the bib type. Love that!

1 Like

I’m trying to find a photo that’s useful, or that doesn’t bitmap to bejeezus when you zoom in and coming up largely dry. But last time out, I wore the sage under my black jacket and, much like the mesh jackets, you’d have to be right close to me to tell.

It was also overcast and rainy so there was that :joy:

I also hear you on the coat thing! Oooh, I love jackets, too.

Ok so I (apparently) don’t have pics of the Le Mieux in a coat.

I do have it in a handler’s class so enjoy

The treadstep I have with a few of my coats…SO

1. Black coat from Equine Couture that I LOVE. The diagonal stripes look cool

1. AA Motionlite in Navy with the Treadstep:

Blue coat has a blue helmet. Black coat had a black helmet.

That’s all the matchy we do.

Em

5 Likes

My daughter shows in a very similar ensemble. Very sharp! I like the black shirts when she doesn’t wear her jacket.

1 Like

Go ahead and wear colors, I wear solid navy and light blue show shirts and it’s super hot in the summer here, so we rarely wear coats. I wear them at the A/AA shows, so no problems even at big shows. I don’t do the hunters, only jumpers. I think sometimes you see a lot of white or bibs because folks are going between rings and hunters are more conservative.

3 Likes