Unlimited access >

Colored show shirts

Preach. I have threatened more than once to start a company making the pretty old colored/striped/patterned show shirts in tech fabric because good lord do I miss coordinating my variously colored/patterened coats with pretty colored shirts.

15 Likes

Honestly, this is the about the only reason I do not wear my old shirts now. Most days, the tech fabrics are the more comfortable choice. Then there are also days where my confidence level is “white shirt/navy jacket/bay horse” is the safe choice that I need :laughing:

7 Likes

I love the old color choices but I don’t miss the old fabrics. Give me color but give me stretch fabrics with cooling fibers!!!

8 Likes

I have the opposite problem. It is almost impossible now to find a white shirt in an older fabric. Everything is technical fabrics and has all the mesh outlets. I am hunting in 20 something degree weather I’d really like some actual clothing on my body.

5 Likes

Silk undershirts are what you need, @CBoylen . Warm and breathable and super-thin, so they fit perfectly beneath.

2 Likes

Obviously very valid but counterpoint, as I think I might be in a similar position as the OP. I just started my show career in my late 30s. I’ve been watching from the sidelines for decades and now I finally have enough money to participate (yea me!). But that dang imposter syndrome follows me around so looking the part genuinely does help with confidence. And if a little confidence walking around the show grounds doesn’t help, then nothing will!

5 Likes

Psssst! :shushing_face:
The blue pinstripe I have is an Essex.
The blue&tan is Forego.
I’ll gladly send you both, as chances are they’ll never see a showring if I keep them :crazy_face:
I’ll even throw in the pin :sunglasses:

4 Likes

It’s not super colorful, but I got a show shirt last summer that has a navy accent and crystal accents down the front on the buttons. I love it! Its hard to tell in the photo, but the jacket is dark green.

Tough as a junior for sure, I had way less show opportunities than most peers at my barn, I’m 21 so just starting in the ammys but we had way less options for fun shirts as a junior I think being in the eq/hunters.

1 Like

So not the exact same but still looking to add some extra confidence. It can’t hurt!

I did buy two of those Lemieux shirts! Apparently I have the neck of a gorilla and it’s the only one I found with a stretchy neck :joy:. I’ve worn the navy to a clinic and a schooling show with no jacket and think it’s a very sharp look I just can’t decide if it looks good under my jacket or not

2 Likes

100%!! The fashion is so fun and I have more freedom now than I know what to do with😂

After a April show where I nearly froze to death I purchased a Kerrits “winter circuit” show shirt in white. It’s available at Smartpak and has a fleeced lining.

1 Like

I bought one too! And also a Shires hunting shirt. But neither is quite right. I hate snaps. I have a raw silk one from Hadfields that I love, but it’s more cream than white so not always what I need to be wearing, and when I called this year for shirts Cindy was having supplier issues. I’m sure she will sort it out soon and then I can have what I want but it is not available really anywhere else and used white shirts just do not hold up to buy on resale like colored ones do.

1 Like

I also vote for colored shirts!

I really miss monogrammed collars. I loved picking out the design and the thread color. Sometimes I’m tempted to try and get a collar monogrammed on a shirt I have now but never feel like it is quite worth the effort. I do like the modern fabrics though. I’ve got long arms, linebacker shoulders, and the “gorilla neck” mentioned above and appreciate stretch.

7 Likes

We do a lot of variety in the breed show HUS: http://www.booyahcustomclothing.com/

My current favorite is a light blue shirt, with a navy accent on the collar under a navy jacket. But I’ve been eyeing some of the gold accents.

I’m (mostly) a traditionalist, and still stick with white in the equitation, but there are some color combos out there that (on the right horse) are so stunning.

3 Likes

I monogram my tech fabric, wrap collar show shirts

5 Likes

Amen and amen! I have a blue, pink, and yellow shirt that I rotate through if/when I show, paired with some mid 2000s RJ classics lighter coats that had the GORGEOUS colored linings! Wear what makes you FEEL like the winner!

5 Likes

All show shirts have tiny collars. I once had to go up two sizes because the neck was so tight.

1 Like

Jimmy at The In Gate gets the collars on the shirts he carries monogrammed for clients. He also just added some gorgeous colored lacy shirts I saw when we visited in Wellington.

5 Likes