Unlimited access >

Colt rescued from year-long sling horror (warning: abuse, deceased horse)

Warning - very upsetting photos.

I’m following this case from Rocking R Ranch and Rescue (https://www.facebook.com/rockingrrescue/) and it’s grueling.

This young horse was found suspended in a “sling” in someone’s sh!tfight of a place, and had apparently been there for over a year!! He looks like a foal; however someone recognised him and tagged his breeder - this “foal” is a 3yr PRE! His breeder is devastated and I believe they are working with the rescue.

One horse was found deceased on the property.

I’ve copy-pasted the original post from Rocking R - I hope they don’t mind:

Yesterday we were made aware of a horse in a literal house of horrors. Said to be a yearling that had gone down and this was their version of a sling.…

We worked yesterday on getting a plan to get him out. The owners had agreed to surrender, so thanks to Morgan Oliver and Denise Daily (Morgan drove 5 hours to be there to help get him loaded) he finally was released from that contraption and literally RAN to Denise and the horse trailer.

When they arrived this morning, it was worse than anyone expected. One horse was dead on the property. I will have pics in the comments. They are too graphic to post on the main post. You can tell these horses went through hell and we are so thankful we were able to get this baby out this morning.

It is reported he has been in this sling for a YEAR! A year y’all!!! Do you see the tree branch under him too?? It is reported he has been in this sling for a YEAR! A year y’all!!! Do you see the tree branch under him too?? Completely unable to lie down, move, turn around. It’s just incomprehensible to me.

I did call the sheriff and have them go on site this morning. The owners signed releasing ownership to us. I’ve called a vet in the area and he’s on his way there now. Denise has graciously offered to let him recover at her farm for a few days before we make the 4 hour haul to us.

His official appointment is at 245 and when we know more on his condition, I will update y’all.

He’s alert, enjoyed a little alfalfa, has very little muscle and I wouldn’t be surprised if he does “go down” and isn’t able to get himself up, but we can help with that. Hopefully he won’t have long term damage from the absolute torture he’s endured. This may be the worst case I’ve ever seen. If you can help us with his vetting and recovery needs, I’ve included the info below.

Upon discovery:

Photo dated May 2023

From the breeder prior to sale:

His stable companion:

My Sept '23 baby is three times the size of this poor mite. How can someone be so blindly neglectful?

Sweet effing jesus :sob: :rage:

2 Likes

I found the for-sale ad on Facebook for him; he is a late '21 so rising three. Absolutely beautiful foal.

It defies understanding.

1 Like

I’m rarely speechless, jaw dropped.

… what in the actual F

2 Likes

Is there any explanation of why these people did this? It just seems like such a weird thing to do to a horse.

Jingles for this poor horse.

7 Likes

To clarify before anyone pounces on me, I am not saying that this was OK or anything or that any explanation will make it OK. I am just wondering why these people did this specific thing to this poor animal. I am sure they have some reason that works in their head.

12 Likes

@trubandloki, I went to the facebook page and if you scroll down a few postings there is a video of a neighbor??? taking the rescue people over to this horse to show them. The posting says that the owner put the horse in a sling because he went down one day and could not get up, … 10 months ago.

There was a second horse in the same sort of sling. it looks like the owner was feeding them just enough to stay alive, well until the one no longer could.

There is an updated stating that the PRE has suffered no organ damage and his recovery will be slow, but he should recover.

8 Likes

Thank you for explaining @MunchingonHay!

So weird, because even in the photo that was taken in 2023, the poor thing appears to be standing on his own.

So glad someone finally got them out of there and this poor guy is going to be OK.

1 Like

The picture of the dead horse, OMG. It looks like it was desperately trying to get out when it passed.

11 Likes

I don’t understand why. I’m just horrified and sad. I hope this happened somewhere with the balls to prosecute.

8 Likes

I follow them as well.
They shared his name, Asombro (from the breeder)

Here is the video from the day they got him out of that he’ll hole.

3 Likes

God look at his legs, all atrophied and weak. This is a 3 year old!! Unbelievable.

2 Likes

Tangent question - are there really no rescues in the part of the world where this horse is? Why does he have to be shipped five hours?
That seems weird to me.

4 Likes

Yes, the video on the rescue’s FB is pretty horrific. His tendons are so lax that he can barely walk.

3 Likes

ditto

1 Like

:sleepy: I wish I hadn’t opened this thread.
At least the horse has a decent chance of recovery.
May only be to Lawn Ornament status, though being young is in his favor.
If the damage is irreversible, at least his last days will be in comfort.
The sheer ignorance of the owners is beyond belief.

8 Likes

I found the breeder online, many beautiful photos of how well he cares for his lovely Andalusians. Photos of Asombro as he grew up.

Apparently the owner has put many animals through this level of neglect, many have died, and those aware have tried for years to get action taken against them. (According to FB comments). This guy was hidden under tarps.

The dead horse was called Onyx, rest in peace mate.

10 Likes

What in the actual F&@! is wrong with people. Holy moly

2 Likes

Holy shit!!! I can’t believe what I just saw. That poor 3 y/o and that dead horse….OMG. :sob:

1 Like